Feb 03, 2020, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Graupner Systems

Just pulled this out of a hole its been sitting in for 20 years. I've been into drones for the last 4 years but always wanted to do a rebuild on this. I know that its a good, solid, sturdy hull and CAN be reworked. Any ideas are appreciated. Not a rich man so low budget/some speed and fun are what I'm after. Its missing various parts and not to mention the ancient pretty much everything.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2020, 05:37 AM
Me and a guy with a mustache
Hmm, I have one of these that I started building almost twenty years ago and never finished. I should dig it out and install modern equipment to see how she runs.
Feb 09, 2020, 11:10 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Friend of mine built one while we were stationed in Germany. Ran pretty good with the 2 Speed 600s and the stock gearbox. I have one I trader for, needs an overhaul, and a better paint job..(fluorescent orange). Anyway, Iím thinking Iíll either use the stock gearbox with a couple of vintage Kyosho 360sts or maybe modernize her with an outrunner..itís on a long list of projects.
Cash
Feb 14, 2020, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
I did it!! Yesterday I pulled the entire boat apart. It wasn't easy by any means and I've got a lot of cleaning to do. I somehow managed to pull the shell apart but there are several cracks in the hull that will have to be repaired. Thinking about fiberglassing it on the inside since the hull is so thin and flimsy. Body is the first thing i'll get straight then i'll start on the rest from there. Might just be easier to buy a new hull... if I could even find one. Also a side note...it looks like I caulked the two parts together and having a lot of trouble removing the old caulk.
Feb 15, 2020, 12:42 PM
Thread OP
Well...guess that's over with. The idea of rebuilding my Systems boat has come to an abrupt end unless I can find a new hull or a lower half. Mine was so fragile that I easily put two holes in the bottom. I'd love to hear that someone has an extra or found the piece but until that day...this one is on the shelf
Feb 15, 2020, 02:52 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Sad that plastic has such a limited lifespan. Sorry to hear.
Feb 15, 2020, 03:24 PM
The Systems Cat was always known as a light model. It did well on good water because of the light weight.

The guys on OffshoreElectrics.com (ask in their forum) may have one laying around. A lot of them go back 20+ years of racing.

Good luck on the resurrection! If you get one going again, be sure to share pix here with us!

Andy
Feb 16, 2020, 03:52 PM
Can you scab patch it? Get sheet styrene, cut a piece bigger than the hole, glue it on the inside, covering the hole then fill and sand the outside.
Feb 16, 2020, 05:01 PM
Steps? What steps?
If the hull is this weak then a patch will just create more stress risers. Thin ABC ages poorly, one Graupner Key West cat hull I owned started falling apart just a few years after I built it. Some glues like CA didn’t mix well with Graupner plastic either. Sadly I too believe this particular hull is best retired.
Feb 16, 2020, 10:26 PM
You might be right. However, I had an old Graupner Commodore that had sat, unfinished, in a buddy’s shop for years. It sat near the window where the sun shone on one side of the hull for years. It was already starting to crack when I got it, but I scabbed it and made sure the doubler went well past the crack to decent plastic. I was able to enjoy the boat for about 3 or 4 years more before it finally got unusable.
Ultraviolet and heat seem to be the 2 main culprits that make hobby plastics such as ABS and Styrene deteriorate. I have a buddy that has some 15-20 year old hulls still in good usable shape. Just hate to see a Systems junked, but it might be too far gone.
Feb 20, 2020, 02:31 PM
Thread OP
I think my answer is 2.5 gram woven fiberglass draped over the hull, epoxy resin and I need to get started sooner than later. I've spent a few days becoming a lightweight fiberglass expert (so to speak) and I think rebuilding the bottom hull with this is is the answer. Still gonna check with offshore electrics but Its basically my only option left to save it and still be able to sail it. Once the hull is fixed I can do what ever I want with the guts. Thanks for all the advice folks!!
Feb 20, 2020, 02:40 PM
Thread OP
I wrote offshore..lets see if they respond with good news otherwise I'm gonna remake the hull into a new fiberglass hull
Feb 20, 2020, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Offshore wrote me back within minutes and I wish I had better news to tell you guys. Sigh...looks like the only options I have are 1. Getting extremely lucky some day.... or 2. Building an entire new fiberglass hull using the old one as a template. I've been at this for a few weeks now with zero luck on finding a hull
Feb 24, 2020, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
Hey babblefish...if you dont end up rebuilding yours...any chance I could buy that hull from you? pm sent
Last edited by Cuppy; Feb 24, 2020 at 01:57 PM.
Feb 26, 2020, 02:43 AM
Me and a guy with a mustache
PM sent.

Are you any good at wood carving? Or do you know anyone that is? If so, then maybe you can get a buck carved and have a new hull vacuum formed out of ABS sheet. Or maybe use polycarbonate (Lexan) instead since it's stronger than ABS and won't get affected by UV. With clear polycarbonate, you paint the inside so the finish won't get damaged and you get a really glossy finish.

I don't think it's all that hard to make your own vacuum forming machine. Use your oven (with the better half's approval of course) to heat the plastic sheet and a shop vac or good house vac to pull the plastic. That way you can make as many hulls as you want and replacement hulls when you crash and burn. You may even be able to use your current hull as a mold by filling it with plaster to make a plug.

Here's one video I found on YouTube on how to make one (there are many others):

EASY VACUUM FORMER - Awesome Results - BrainfooTV (6 min 24 sec)
Last edited by babblefish; Feb 26, 2020 at 02:52 AM.

Quick Reply