Feb 03, 2020, 01:36 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP
Discussion

10th ANNUAL KATIE MARTIN INT'L TRIBUTE

[B]10th ANNUAL KATIE MARTIN INT'L TRIBUTE[B]will be held at the Torrey Pines Glider Port on Saturday June 6th.
Last years Tribute went extremely well with the man carrying flyers following the rules and it was a very fun event. For those that have not been to one of the Katie Tributes you can read some of the previous events and see that it is a great place to meet the stars of our hobby, past and present. The comeratry is what makes this event so special. Learn about Katie Martin and her impact on our hobby, her efforts to get ladies flying, her influence on the designs at Bob Martin RC Models, and her willingness to mortgage our home to buy the Hobie Hawk Tooling.
Every year I love conversing with the many friends that attend and enjoy meeting new fans of our aircraft and the Hobie Hawk. I would like to formally invite everyone that reads this and can find a way to attend. I assure you, you won't be sorry.
Along with the beautiful location, the great flying and socializing we have a raffle that our sponsor companies and attendee's donate some really impressive items. This year Mr. MPX is donating a rtf Hobie Hawk. By the way, all proceeds from the raffle go to Katie's favorite charity, the American Heart Association.

Being the 10th Anniversary of the Katie Martin Tribute, and the 55th Wedding Anniversary, I know Katie would be very excited if we were to have some ladies attend and fly. She could hold her own with most men and she taught many ladies to fly, so guys, bring your wives, girl friends, daughters, neighbors and show them how much fun this hobby can be.

In our 2019 thread, there were several suggestions on how we can get the ladies involved this year. Let's have those suggestion posted again and we also need to address the subject of artwork for this years event, so post your ideas for the artwork also.

I apologize for the late start. Time is short so please post those ideas soon,

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2020, 12:57 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP

Hello everyone....I am getting old and I cannot remember how to get a sticky on the thread. It has fallen to the 3rd page and I am wondering if anyone is seeing it. The Katie Tribute is only three months away and there is so much to do. If anyone can let me know how to get this thread back on the first page, please let me know.....thanks in advance,
Bob
Feb 14, 2020, 10:36 PM

The Katie

Yippee! So glad to hear that The Katie is being planned.
I love watching the Slope Soarers and Hobie Hawks fly!
How do I sign up? Or do I just show up?
Sounds like fun! I will try to get there this year!
Feb 17, 2020, 07:17 PM
Hello Bob hello everyone Else

Here is my Logo proposal for this Year.

best regards from Germany, Cornelius
Feb 20, 2020, 10:19 AM
Life is better now
Thread OP

Katie Tribute Artwork

Thank you Cornelius. Very creative design....you got Katie , the event and the Hobie.....Looks great.....thank you.

What do you think everyone. Has Cornelius done a great job or do you think you can come up with a better one.

Let's hear from you.....you like it or got a better idea.

Bob
Feb 21, 2020, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
Thank you Cornelius. Very creative design....you got Katie , the event and the Hobie.....Looks great.....thank you.

What do you think everyone. Has Cornelius done a great job or do you think you can come up with a better one.

Let's hear from you.....you like it or got a better idea.

Bob
Looks great Bob, just change the wings and tail to Blue and your there!
Curt
Feb 21, 2020, 02:29 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBe85
Hello Bob hello everyone Else

Here is my Logo proposal for this Year.

best regards from Germany, Cornelius
Great artwork...looks beautiful...
Manolo.
Feb 25, 2020, 11:45 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP

Can I fly at Torrey Pines Gliderport?

The Katie Martin Tribute has always been held at Torrey Pines Glider Port, but unlike a lot of other flying sites, this one has rules.

Not only is the Torrey Pines Glider Port a great place to fly, it is an FAA certified Glider Port and a San Diego City Park and therefore both rules and insurance are enforced.

Now for the rules of flying Torrey Pines.
1) Current proof of AMA membership
2) There is an insurance waiver that must be signed before flying. This is done at the flight shack at the south portion of the glider port. This takes about 10 minutes and normally results in writers cramp if done properly.
3) The cost of your share of the insurance burden is $10.00 for unlimited access. This will be paid when you accomplish item #4.
4) You must sign in on the flying roster at the counter in the flight shack with your name, AMA # and the date of expiration of AMA. You may be required to show your card to the administration person at the counter.

Last year Craig and Robin worked together and got our designated area mowed and increased the effort for the parasailers to follow the rules much better. It seemed to work pretty well and I look forward to a fun and safe day of flying.
Bob
Last edited by bob57hdt; Mar 05, 2020 at 07:23 PM. Reason: correct errors
Feb 25, 2020, 11:49 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue eyes52
Yippee! So glad to hear that The Katie is being planned.
I love watching the Slope Soarers and Hobie Hawks fly!
How do I sign up? Or do I just show up?
Sounds like fun! I will try to get there this year!
Sure hope you can make it Blue eyes 52. Besides the Tribute to Katie, there is great flying, great meeting new and old friends, a great raffle and special activities for the Ladies.

Bob
Mar 04, 2020, 10:55 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP
Hello fellow and lady flyers,
There is approximately 3 months until the 10th Annual Katie Martin Tribute. My plate is getting pretty full with the medical condition I am fighting, preparing for the Katie Tribute and my partners and I have just bought a kit cutting business. At 75 I need something to keep me busy. There is much to learn in the new business, not so much the cutting with laser ( I introduced laser cutting to the model airplane industry in the late 80's) but how all the equipment works, the software and laser machine.

I had mentioned that (Katie) and I want to get the ladies to come to this years Katie Tribute. Don't let us down guys, bring the wife, daughter, sister, neighbors' daughter, cousin etc. . I am going to cut one of my Pussycat 2 meter wood sailplanes, build it , cover it, put radio gear in it and give it away free to one of the ladies that attends. There is no entry fee, it is free to enter, provided you are a lady....sorry guys.

Let's hear from you....be the first to announce that you are bringing a lady.....

We want, if possible, to get all the ladies some stick time, whether it is on a buddy box or if they know how to fly already....

Who will be the first?

Bob
Mar 06, 2020, 09:21 AM
I make planes I want to fly
That's very generous of you, Bob! I was already planning on bringing my wife and son again - they helped with your raffle last year and you gave my son a t-shirt, it's one of his favorite still to wear

I'll see if I can't get some of the other OC guys to sweet-talk their girls into coming down too.
Mar 09, 2020, 12:24 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid7night
That's very generous of you, Bob! I was already planning on bringing my wife and son again - they helped with your raffle last year and you gave my son a t-shirt, it's one of his favorite still to wear

I'll see if I can't get some of the other OC guys to sweet-talk their girls into coming down too.
You and Jay have stepped up and I am sure more of you will be bringing a lady with you. Let us know.

Unless there are any other designs for this years T-shirt, we will settle on Cornelius's design and begin the sale of this very cool and collectable shirt.

Speaking of shirts.....If you let us know the name of the lady you are bringing to the Katie Tribute this year, I will buy the first 5 ladies a shirt for them. It will be FREE, just PM me with their name and size please. Only one Free shirt per family. I will even offer a 25% discount for all of the other ladies that are coming. Now don't wait, if you let me know you are bringing a lady, PM me their name and size. This is for the Ladies only. This is the 10th Anniversary of the Katie Tribute and I want it to be the best ever!

Bob
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Mar 16, 2020, 04:23 PM
Hi there,
This is how the t-shirts and mugs could look in this year's design.

best regards, Cornelius
Mar 16, 2020, 04:55 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP

Men's and Women's shirts plus Mugs

Thank you Cornelius,

They look great....also good news is that the shirts will be the same price as last year unless we get a larger order in which case the price would come down. They also have ladies style shirts and I will publish pictures of them as soon as I get them.....price is the same as the men's. Color wise, I think we will only be able to get the white and grey again. Let me know what you think about what Cornelius came up with......looks like we will have mugs too!
Let me know what you think!
Bob
Mar 18, 2020, 10:53 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP

Free Sailplane to be given away to the Ladies

To reiterate my post #10: "I had mentioned that (Katie) and I want to get the ladies to come to this years Katie Tribute. Don't let us down guys, bring the wife, daughter, sister, neighbors' daughter, cousin etc. . I am going to cut one of my Pussycat 2 meter wood sailplanes, build it , cover it, put radio gear in it and give it away free to one of the ladies that attends. There is no entry fee, it is free to enter, provided you are a lady....sorry guys.

Let's hear from you....be the first to announce that you are bringing a lady.....

We want, if possible, to get all the ladies some stick time, whether it is on a buddy box or if they know how to fly already....

Who will be the first?"

I have heard from Jan and Ben, so two the the five Free Ladies T-Shirts are committed, and every lady that shows up will get a Free ticket for the drawing of the Kit Cutters BMRCM Pussycat 2 meter sailplane, cut, built and covered by me.

What about the rest of you....any ladies in your life that you would like to get flying? Here is your chance.....

Come on now....Free shirts, Free Airplane...what are you waiting for.

Bob

Bob

Quick Reply