Feb 03, 2020, 11:35 AM
DS Junkie
Thread OP
Discussion

Super Bowl Sunday at Weldon, 2/2/20

With the National Weather Service posting a slew of high wind warnings, and 100 million Americans glued to the TV watching the Super Bowl, Bruce, Curtis, Alan (with wife Janet and dog Sprocket) and I gathered at Weldon. The big wind was forecast to hit after dark, and it did, but we still enjoyed gusts in the mid-high 40s and some epic fun.

I pulled up to the hill a little before noon and had just enough time to test fly my Aris and light JW 48 before the wind started to pick up quickly. The Aris got to 168 and it was time to start putting together some heavier planes.

The day started off toasty in the 60s but the temps dropped steadily as the afternoon wore on, clouds rolled in and thick haze filled the sky. Overall, the day seemed to generate very good power compared to windspeed. There were numerous notable speeds.

On my first standard k2m flight, a huge gust came through and totally blew out the backside for a full 10 minutes. We were getting pelted by sand and tumbleweeds were blowing all over the backside. Other than that, the air was relatively smooth.

Curtis got new airframe PBs on his D80 (285 mph) and light Kinetic 2m (254 mph).

Bruce got a new airframe record with the Stinger 45 at 173 mph. Bruce got the high speed of the day with 442 mph on his K130.

I got a new 2m Kinetic airframe PB at 409 mph. That was on my standard, and my light (72 oz) went 373 mph. I've been working on getting my K2m over 400 mph for a long time and was real excited. The 409 mph flight had some crazy power. The plane was over 360 in less than 10 laps, and 400 came just a few laps later. It was a short flight, as I had loosened a control horn on the right aileron earlier in the day and had CA'd it back in. Didn't want to push my luck any further...

I almost got my K130 together but the wind started dropping into the 30s. Alan arrived around the same time and I believe he got a 374 mph or so (airspeed) on his modified standard k2m.

Curtis has some video, I think. I'll post speeds in the speed thread, but wanted to put up a summary of the day, mostly so I can reference it later on.
Last edited by Screamin' Eagle; Feb 10, 2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Grammar
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2020, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
With the National Weather Service posting a slew of high wind warnings, and 100 million Americans glued to the TV watching the Super Bowl, Bruce, Curtis, Alan (with wife Janet and dog Sprocket) and I gathered at Weldon. The big wind was forecast to hit after dark, and it did, but we still enjoyed gusts in the mid-high 40s and some epic fun.

I pulled up to the hill a little before noon and had just enough time to test fly my Aris and light JW 48 before the wind started to pick up quickly. The Aris got to 168 and it was time to start putting together some heavier planes.

The day started off toasty in the 60s but the temps dropped steadily as the afternoon wore on, clouds rolled in and thick haze filled the sky. Overall, the day seemed to generate very good power compared to windspeed. There were numerous notable speeds. On my first standard k2m flight, a huge gust came through and totally blew out the backside for a full 10 minutes. We were getting pelted by sand and tumbleweeds were blowing all over the backside. Other than that, the air was relatively smooth.

Curtis got new airframe PBs on his D80 (285 mph) and light Kinetic 2m (254 mph).

Bruce got a new airframe record with the Stinger 45 at 173 mph. Bruce got the high speed of the day with 442 mph on his K130.

I got a new 2m Kinetic airframe PB at 409 mph. That was on my standard, and my light (72 oz) went 373 mph. I've been working on getting my K2m over 400 mph for a long time and was real excited. The 409 mph flight had some crazy power. The plane was over 360 in less than 10 laps, and 400 came just a few laps later. It was a short flight, as I had loosened a control horn on the right aileron earlier in the day and had CA'd it back in. Didn't want to push my luck and further...

I almost got my K130 together but the wind started dropping into the 30s. Alan arrived around the same time and I believe he got a 374 mph or so (airspeed) on his modified standard k2m.

Curtis has some video, I think. I'll post speeds in the speed thread, but wanted to put up a summary of the day, mostly so I can reference it later on.
Sounds awesome....Thanks for sharing.
Feb 03, 2020, 12:31 PM
Congrats Dom ! Always exciting when the K2m gets over 400... Sounds like an Awesome day up there!
Feb 03, 2020, 12:40 PM
gas tires and oil
Nice Dom!
i like reading a day summary like that with all the details!

marty
Feb 03, 2020, 05:18 PM
Score board:Rocks-2,Carbon-0
Nice flying! Congrats Dom!!
Feb 03, 2020, 07:22 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Nice job on the 2m 400!
Feb 03, 2020, 08:26 PM
............Way cool DS junkies!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 03, 2020, 08:43 PM
Congratulations guys. Ian
Feb 03, 2020, 11:25 PM
Auzzie built planks
Wow. Way to go dom , wicked speed with a 2m :cool.... sounds like a way better day out than the SB
Latest blog entry: More colours
Feb 04, 2020, 12:35 AM
thread killer extraordinaire
Hey Dom,

Nice report and congratulations on breaking 400 with the 2m!!!!

Sounds like it was a good day.

chris
Feb 04, 2020, 02:15 PM
DS Junkie
Thread OP
Thanks for all the good wishes guys. To be honest, I think I'm still on an adrenaline high two days later. I'm not going to lie, it felt INSANE!!!

Chris, bring out that K130 sometime this spring!
Feb 04, 2020, 03:08 PM
That's so awesome.
Feb 04, 2020, 06:11 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
400 is a big deal. Congrats Dom!!!
Feb 04, 2020, 06:20 PM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.

400 MPH with a K2M is a huge deal

409 mph with a K2M Is a statement. Dom's now the third fastest K2M pilot in the world!

Way to go Dom !!!!

Hope to see you real soon Stu..
Feb 05, 2020, 11:22 PM
There is only DS
Way to go Dom.
400 with 2m is outstanding.
Congrats

Quick Reply