Feb 02, 2020, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

randy randolph bee tween - electric

This is an old Randy Randolph design The BeeTween. My dad scratch built this thing probably 25 years ago off the pull out plans. It was originally built to teach me how to fly back then but was never finished. I was into some 3D flying and also some micro stuff but it has been a while now we have been out of the hobby. I fished this little bee tween out and pulled all the covering off. We are finally going to fly it off of E power. We figured this would be a great plane to get us back into the hobby and some stick time. If the plane flys decent, we are going to add some trim stripes to the wings.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2020, 01:46 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Ought to fly great. I remember seeing the MAN article years ago, always thought it looked sweet.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8770
I like the "between the wars" scheme.
Feb 06, 2020, 07:40 AM
Thread OP
Thank you davecee! I’m really looking forward to the maiden hopefully this weekend! I will say, if I ever build this airplane again for modern electronics I would extend the fire wall a extra inch or so. We had too add a fair amount of weight to mine in order to balance out. Everything is as far forward as possible. . I will report back how the plane flys. It reminds me of a old Dave robelen pronto. I really like that color scheme! If all goes well I just inherited a little 4 star 15 my dad scratch built shrinking the plans from the 40 size. Think I may electrocute it next!
Feb 06, 2020, 09:53 AM
soar-ne
I built one some years ago when the plan came out in MAN. It was one of my first non-GWS electric park fliers. Powered it with a GWS 300 geared motor and GWS servos and ESC, and around 800ma 2s lipo. Was a great soccer field flier, wish I had it still. We made a downsizing move and it was mortally injured in the move, crushed by a load shift. Good memories!!!!!!!!!!

Bob M.
Feb 26, 2020, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
The plane is a great. We really enjoy flying it. Mine was tail heavy on the first flight making it very difficult to control. Using a 2s 1300 lipo and 250w outrunner it is very over powered. If I build this in the future I would definitely extend the fire wall 1 to avoid CG problems and the need to add weight. It flys very slow and sporty at the same time. Similar to a pronto-
Feb 26, 2020, 01:41 PM
B for Bruce
I'm not surprised that it's generously powered. The Cox reed engines it was intended for are only rated for around 60 to 70 watts equivalent depending on condition and if you use the single or twin bypass port cylinders. Tee Dees are more like 90 to 100 watts equivalent. So even if you are not using the motor at the full 250w potential I bet you're using at least half of it and running as if it were a hot running TeeDee.
Feb 26, 2020, 05:16 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Glad it's worked out.
Feb 27, 2020, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
The 250w motor being over powered is nice. It can leap off the ground no problem. Also, when we recovered the wing I noticed the main spar was much larger square stock than the plans called for. We also used larger dowl rod for the leading edge apposed to the small square stock. The bigger motor helped with the cg also used 9g servos. The plane flys very slowly if needed. Very happy with the results. I don’t think the original wing design will hold up to 250w but hopefully this one will .

Quick Reply