Feb 02, 2020, 05:58 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sport servo recommendations

I'm returning to the hobby, and looking for servos for 60 glow up to 30cc gas. They will be running with Futaba Tx and Rx, for what that's worth. The vast majority of my experience has been with Futaba and Hitec, and I'm leaning toward Hitec 425s as my go-to for most applications, but I am completely unfamiliar with many of the newer brands. Am I overlooking something I should consider?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2020, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Guess not!
Feb 03, 2020, 03:56 PM
Why not try amending the title to something informative like “Servo recommendations for 60 to 30cc?”?

And have a little patience. Not everyone scans the posts every day.
Feb 03, 2020, 06:02 PM
Electron Whisperer
Big planes you can go with Hitec 645 for torque. 425 is ok for 60 size but not the bigger stuff. If $$ not issue, Futaba has high power digital but you will need to refresh yourself on amp/current requirements as the little 4.8 nimh packs ain't gonna get it. LiFE, Lipo batteries with regulators or newer high voltage servos will be required. MKS makes some good servos for reasonable dollars.
Feb 03, 2020, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66

And have a little patience.
i have a little patience. I need more, and I need it NOW!
Feb 03, 2020, 06:24 PM
Electron Whisperer
Patience for sale- see my thread in non-R/C :-) heh-heh
Feb 03, 2020, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004
Big planes you can go with Hitec 645 for torque. 425 is ok for 60 size but not the bigger stuff. If $$ not issue, Futaba has high power digital but you will need to refresh yourself on amp/current requirements as the little 4.8 nimh packs ain't gonna get it. LiFE, Lipo batteries with regulators or newer high voltage servos will be required. MKS makes some good servos for reasonable dollars.
I think 30cc will be my upper limit. I picked up a Big Stik 60 ARF with a collection of 148s and 3001s in it, and it flies fine (so far) but I've got four 425s on the way for the flying surfaces, as well as a 91 Surpass to replace the 61 SF that's on it, and a 2000mah nimh battery for it.

I'm leaning toward a 30cc gasser - maybe a Ultra Stick - as my next one. 645s enough in that application?
Feb 03, 2020, 08:21 PM
Electron Whisperer
645 torque is good for 30cc. The 2000 nimh should be ok for HS425's but not the 30cc.
I recommend Castle BEC Pro for big ones and a separate life/lipo battery. That's how I do my 1/4 scales
Last edited by speed2004; Feb 03, 2020 at 08:30 PM.
Feb 03, 2020, 09:53 PM
645's or the digital 5645's are just right for a 30cc plane. The 425's, 148's, even the 3001's are fine for a .60 size plane. I'd stay away from anything karbonite geared though in any glow/gas plane... but the above mentioned servos are just fine.

If you're not familiar with LiFe batteries, do yourself a favor and look into those. They're safe, easy, durable, and reliable.

PS... would you be the same Teachu2 from many years ago and RCU days?... from south valley area?.. Trent?... hmm.... I'm sure I remember you from the way back machine. Glad to see your still interested and flying some. You've got to be the same guy... I've never seen any screen name even close to that... haha. If not, just disregard.
Feb 03, 2020, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant
645's or the digital 5645's are just right for a 30cc plane. The 425's, 148's, even the 3001's are fine for a .60 size plane. I'd stay away from anything karbonite geared though in any glow/gas plane... but the above mentioned servos are just fine.

If you're not familiar with LiFe batteries, do yourself a favor and look into those. They're safe, easy, durable, and reliable.

PS... would you be the same Teachu2 from many years ago and RCU days?... from south valley area?.. Trent?... hmm.... I'm sure I remember you from the way back machine. Glad to see your still interested and flying some. You've got to be the same guy... I've never seen any screen name even close to that... haha. If not, just disregard.
Yep, Trent Combs. I was very active in BARKS and Greenfield Flyers clubs from '89 until '04, then tapered off until I got out in 2012. Sold off, gave away, or trashed everything by the time I moved up into the mountains in 2014.

The wife and I rode Harleys all over the western US from '03 until last year, when we sold them and bought a motorhome. We are now officially old farts.
Feb 04, 2020, 12:08 AM
Oh yes... I remember you now. I doubt you'd remember me from RCUniverse or RCOnline, I had a few screen names there, but have had this one on all sites since probably 2002. My first name is Dale(hence the "D").

I remember you doing a push every year for Toys-4-Tots, and stuff like that. I'm very active up north of you in Fresno/Clovis area.. You might remember Fresno Radio Modelers, which was my club up until about a year ago when I left for another club that formed a few years ago, which is ClovisRC.club . I'm sure we've ran into eachother back in the day.

I'm an old fart now too I think. My wife and I retired, and now are just starting out with our RV and taking trips around the west coast area, and I'm flying all kinds of IMAC as well. Every event I can in the SouthWest region within a 4-5hr drive. I'm hoping to fly IMAC in Arvin at the end of May if the event unfolds. We will hopefully know something soon. Will probably come down and practice with some friends once our weather breaks open nicely.

I never left RC, but did taper down for a few years. The last 6 or 8yrs have been full on though. We'll see where it goes.

It's great you're getting into flying again. There's been quite a few advancements since 2012. Take your time and have fun. This site and FlyingGiants are probably the best resource on the web. I rarely read RCU, but occasionally open it.

Hitec servos are still one of the better affordable servos out there. I use them quite a bit, and even my old Hitecs still work fine. There's other brands now on the market.. some pricey, some affordable. MKS, Savox, and a few more. JR as we knew it is gone and replaced by another entity that's taken the name, as well as apparently now producing servos, radios and other components under the JR name(or very similar to it). Tower and Horizon are now one entity if you weren't aware, both still are good sources for what we use... etc.. Both carry Futaba equipment, as well as Spektrum and a few others.. so that's a bit different seeing Futaba and Spektrum sold by the same company. You'll probably see alot of stuff different like that.

So welcome back again.. enjoy!
Feb 04, 2020, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachu2
I'm returning to the hobby, and looking for servos for 60 glow up to 30cc gas. They will be running with Futaba Tx and Rx, for what that's worth. The vast majority of my experience has been with Futaba and Hitec, and I'm leaning toward Hitec 425s as my go-to for most applications, but I am completely unfamiliar with many of the newer brands. Am I overlooking something I should consider?
Check out Promodeler's three pole motor servos. Made in the USA and you can even send them in for servicing if needed (and they will do out of warranty servicing for a fee as well). They sell direct to the public so there's no middleman and hobby shop taking their cut you're basicly paying dealer prices for these.

http://www.promodeler.com/3-pole-servos.aspx

They use an oldschool three pole iron core motor so they cost less than their brushless and coreless servos without sacrificing quality elsewhere.

Promodeler's main servo customer is the US military btw.
Feb 04, 2020, 01:06 AM
Quote:
JR as we knew it is gone and replaced by another entity that's taken the name, as well as apparently now producing servos, radios and other components under the JR name(or very similar to it).
The "new" JR hired most of the engineers from the old JR Propo though and were the ones actually manufacturing JR's products so it's not like it's a totally unrelated company and JR in name only.

The reason JR went under is because they had an embezzeler as head of finances since the early 90's and when they decided to withdraw from the hobby market to concentrate on professional UAVs he decided it was time to go and stole all of their capital and ran.

It's a sad story but it does explain JR's strange behavior and slow movement over the years. The fox was in charge of the henhouse and funding decisions were being made to benefit the embezzeler not the company. In the last year the new JR has made more progress than the old JR made in the last decade.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Feb 04, 2020 at 01:14 AM.
Feb 04, 2020, 03:26 PM
!= International Arms Dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
The reason JR went under is because they had an embezzeler as head of finances since the early 90's and when they decided to withdraw from the hobby market to concentrate on professional UAVs he decided it was time to go and stole all of their capital and ran.
I would like to know more
Feb 13, 2020, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Oh yes... I remember you now. I doubt you'd remember me from RCUniverse or RCOnline, I had a few screen names there, but have had this one on all sites since probably 2002. My first name is Dale(hence the "D").

I remember you doing a push every year for Toys-4-Tots, and stuff like that. I'm very active up north of you in Fresno/Clovis area.. You might remember Fresno Radio Modelers, which was my club up until about a year ago when I left for another club that formed a few years ago, which is ClovisRC.club . I'm sure we've ran into eachother back in the day.

I'm an old fart now too I think. My wife and I retired, and now are just starting out with our RV and taking trips around the west coast area, and I'm flying all kinds of IMAC as well. Every event I can in the SouthWest region within a 4-5hr drive. I'm hoping to fly IMAC in Arvin at the end of May if the event unfolds. We will hopefully know something soon. Will probably come down and practice with some friends once our weather breaks open nicely.

I never left RC, but did taper down for a few years. The last 6 or 8yrs have been full on though. We'll see where it goes.

It's great you're getting into flying again. There's been quite a few advancements since 2012. Take your time and have fun. This site and FlyingGiants are probably the best resource on the web. I rarely read RCU, but occasionally open it.

Hitec servos are still one of the better affordable servos out there. I use them quite a bit, and even my old Hitecs still work fine. There's other brands now on the market.. some pricey, some affordable. MKS, Savox, and a few more. JR as we knew it is gone and replaced by another entity that's taken the name, as well as apparently now producing servos, radios and other components under the JR name(or very similar to it). Tower and Horizon are now one entity if you weren't aware, both still are good sources for what we use... etc.. Both carry Futaba equipment, as well as Spektrum and a few others.. so that's a bit different seeing Futaba and Spektrum sold by the same company. You'll probably see alot of stuff different like that.

So welcome back again.. enjoy!
Thanks, Dale!

Trent

Quick Reply