This thread is privately moderated by siriusflier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 08, 2020, 06:38 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I reglued the magnets in place to hold the cockpit on, then I put clear tape over them. These magnets were two that held the cowl for the A430 in place and were actually just taped in place on the A430, so I think it will work. Up to at least 9 hours of work so far, still have to mount aileron servos, the motor, the fcb, and apply decals.

I finished painting the pilot figure and mounted it. Not the best, but it doesn't look too bad. Now the cockpit is finished.
Name: zf4upilot.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 698.9 KB
Description: Name: zf4upilot2.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 614.3 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Feb 08, 2020 at 06:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2020, 11:58 PM
Ah. Cool. I figured I'd have to upgrade to something like a 2204 2300KV.
Feb 08, 2020, 11:59 PM
Yeah, that cockpit is small and really challenging to paint.
Feb 09, 2020, 05:34 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I went to fit the motor in place with the cowl on, and the motor can was up against the inside front of the cowl. The motor mount had a stop at the back, so I drilled that out so the motor tube could go all of the way into the mount, and that made just enough clearance so that the motor can doesn't contact the inside of the cowl. Put rubber washers under the motor mount on two of the tabs to give the motor a little down and right tilt. Looks about right to counter act motor torque. Cut foam out for the motor wires and also so I can get a screw driver to the motor mount bolts if I need to. I also glued foam into the front to center the 1200mah battery I am planning on using. Also had to file the cowl hole a little to make room for the prop adapter since it tilts down and to the right a bit. Up to about 10 hours now and still a way to go.
Name: zf4ufwmtrmnt.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 652.0 KB
Description: Name: zf4ufwmnt.jpg
Size: 632.0 KB
Description:
Feb 09, 2020, 09:36 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Took these photos to try and show the right and down tilt of the prop.
Name: zf4urghttilt.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 495.7 KB
Description: Name: zf4udwntilt.jpg
Size: 539.9 KB
Description:
Feb 10, 2020, 07:41 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I started putting on decals, and of course I tore the first one, the star decal behind the cockpit on the left side. Can't really tell it though. Not sure what else I will put on the left side, but haven't done the other side or the bottom of the wing yet. Still have to mount the aileron servos, the motor, the esc, and the fcb. Probably finish decals so I can clear coat before mounting the rest of the hardware.
Name: zf4udexals.jpg
Size: 536.4 KB
Description:
Feb 10, 2020, 08:58 PM
Outstanding!

If you're trying to make me jealous, it's working.
Feb 10, 2020, 10:59 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliment. Not trying to out do you, you have inspired me with your build and helped me along.

I think I am done with applying decals. I enjoyed it at first, but after a while it became tedious, and I made plenty of mistakes. There are still more decals I could add but don't think I will. I had planned to give the bottom of the wing the same two decals, but the USAF would not fit because of the position of the servos, so I did something a little different. More photos later. After they all dry I will add a little clearcoat protection.

Now that the results are on display, I will admit that the silver paint is brushed on from a $2 bottle of acrylic multi surface paint. The green I already had. I did spray paint the cowl with a different color green Fusion for plastics first.

Probably spent at least another 2 hours bringing the total so far to about 12 hours working on this bird.
Last edited by siriusflier; Feb 11, 2020 at 09:37 AM.
Feb 11, 2020, 07:10 PM
I've put about that much time in. Now the anxiety is building in anticipation of programing and flying it.
Feb 11, 2020, 10:33 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I didn't feel up to doing what I really need to do which is extending the wires for the other aileron servo, so I found some touch up paint to do and was test fitting the servo rod to the right aileron servo. Rod seemed like it might be a little long but I though no problem, I could shorten it. But then I found that the clevis I had screwed onto the rod had stripped out and just slid up and down the threads. So l pulled one of the servo rods with a clevis already on it from the A430 and it was a perfect length, just the piece that the clevis hooks into on the aileron had too small of holes for the clevis pin. Drilled out the holes and I think it will work just fine. I doubt I will try to use any of the clevisis that came in the kit, they are really cheap plastic and I suspect they might all easily strip out. Then I spray painted some of the landing gear silver. So I spent at least another hour, now up to about 13 hours.
Feb 12, 2020, 11:13 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Here are some photos showing what it looks like with one of what I did to the bottom of the wing and the fuselage:
Name: zf4ulndgr.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 511.3 KB
Description: Name: zf4ulndgr2.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 504.2 KB
Description: Name: zf4uwngbttm.jpg
Size: 467.3 KB
Description:

Actually, I really haven't done much with it the last two days, today I left before 7:30 am and didn't get home until after 9:00 pm. I just stuck it all together to see how it's going to look, and took some pictures. I probably won't even use that prop, I just thought it might look good. I made a list of all the things I have left to do and there are close to a dozen things left to do, some of them tedious and time consuming.
Feb 13, 2020, 07:36 PM
It looks great for a fantasy livery!

I'm surprised you had those issues with the control surface hardware. I had no problem with it whatsoever.
Feb 13, 2020, 09:48 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Well, now it doesn't matter about that hardware, I am going to use the hook and clevis pieces from the A430. I glued a couple of the hooks in place on the ailerons already. Also glued the wing servos in place, but haven't attached the wires with tape yet. Lengthened the wires on the left wing servo first. Added bullets to the motor wires so now the motor is ready to mount. Took the fcb and esc out of the Volantex 767-2 and it is ready to mount. Never have really understood how the main landing gear is supposed to be mounted, but am working on a way to temp mount it for display.

I was curious about how much this plane is going to weigh when finished so I weighed parts and added them up. It should weigh between 150 and 160 grams without the battery or landing gear. Spent about 3 hours working on it today, bringing my total to about 16 hours.
Feb 14, 2020, 07:41 AM
I have no idea what the deal is with the gear. It's just not F4U gear and there's no way it'll hold up in a hard landing. That's why mine is destined to be a belly lander only with the gear for display purposes only.
Feb 14, 2020, 09:15 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
The gear will be good for display and that is about all. I am just trying to figure out a way to mount the main gear so it can be easily removed. Even if the gear would work mine would still be a belly lander.

Quick Reply