Jan 31, 2020, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Slowbipe clone completed & it flies!

I FINALLY have a Slowbipe completed and flying! A few years ago when I was trying to learn how to fly, I saw videos of the original. But it was already to late, they had already been discontinued. So after crashing a few other planes dozens of times I sorta know how to fly. This one is modeled as close as I could make it from photos and original 28" wingspan. It is built out of EPP foam with CF reinforcing, rather than the brittle EPS of the original. This saved some weight and makes it virtually indestructible.

Here is the maiden:
SlowBipe clone First Flight! (1 min 16 sec)

And another short flight:
SlowBipe second flight (1 min 3 sec)

I have tried to contact Michael Tiegs to get his permission before posting up any plans, but have been unable to contact him. So, here is the print I drew up to build mine also. It is scaled to print out at 24x36".

Here are my build notes & specs:

Credits to Michael Tiegs who designed and sold the original for a while.
Built from scratch of EPP foam, thanks to Wind Catcher RC!
This is 3 channel, so Rudder & Elevator only. So easy to take off & fly, it just floats!!

Wingspan: 28"
Length: 38"
Wing Area: 490 sq in (245 in/wing)
Wing Chord: 8 3/4"
CG: 1.5" behind LE of lower wing
Dihedral: Lower Wing only, 0.5"
Material: Mostly EPP foam, 6mm. Fuselage 6mm skins w/ 18mm internal spacers (2 layers of 9mm).
Carbon fiber strips on wing edges 3mmx0.6mm, Carbon fiber rods in Fuselage 4x of 1.5mm.
E6000 (Thin version in 2 oz tubes) used for ALL assembly.
Weight - EPP Foam only: 84 gams/2.9 oz
Weight - Airframe only (with servos): 155 grams/5.5 oz
Weight - RTF: 338 grams/11.9 oz
Wing Loading: 3.5 oz per sq ft
Motor: Emax CF2822 1534 kV (CF2812 1200kV soon)
Prop: 9"x4.5
Battery: 1500 mah 2S
ESC: Turnigy Plush-32 20A
Servos: 2x EMAX ES08E 9 gram

Wings snap on with magnets, as well as elevator. Rudder is held in by tiny wooden block pushed onto CF rod underneath. Block also holds rear landing gear which pushes through a hole in CF rod.

Paint:
Paint added an additional 18 grams (5% of RTF weight). Painted all except undersides of wings & elevator.
Krylon Fusion for Plastics Black on wing uppers & Rudder. Sprays nicely but seems low on pigment.
Also is low on binder which is fine & lower weight, leaves duller finish.
Rustoleum Gloss enamel for Red on fuselage. Works fine, but heavy on binder.
Ran out of Fusion, so used Rustoleum "Outdoor Decor" Satin black on Elevator and side struts.
Worked fine, ended up looking slightly glossy. Higher pigment than Krylon Fusion.
Ended up a little tail heavy after paint, so keep the spray light!
Last edited by rhauff; Feb 15, 2020 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Add wing details and more photos
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2020, 06:12 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Good job !
Jan 31, 2020, 07:02 PM
TonyS
Fantastic achievement! Well done.

TonyS
Last edited by tonystro; Feb 02, 2020 at 05:15 PM.
Feb 09, 2020, 05:27 AM
Looks Evil!
Feb 12, 2020, 01:02 AM
Really Great! I have one of the last Minibipes that were produced by Michael. Bought it directly from him actually. I have a couple of questions.... (1) how is the upper wing fixed to the fuselage.? (2) Where are the carbon rods placed in the fuselage? (3) I think I see a rectangular piece that gives access to the electrical stuff? Soon as I get some clarification, I think I will start on it. Many thanks!!! I will be the envy of the flying field with both the Slowbipe and the Minibipe!
Feb 12, 2020, 08:53 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Nicely done! I have several of these I've snagged from Michael himself as well as from swap meets over the years.
Feb 13, 2020, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracon
Really Great! I have one of the last Minibipes that were produced by Michael. Bought it directly from him actually. I have a couple of questions.... (1) how is the upper wing fixed to the fuselage.? (2) Where are the carbon rods placed in the fuselage? (3) I think I see a rectangular piece that gives access to the electrical stuff? Soon as I get some clarification, I think I will start on it. Many thanks!!! I will be the envy of the flying field with both the Slowbipe and the Minibipe!
1. The upper wing is stuck on with 2 magnets, 1 front edge and 1 rear edge. I'll post up a photo with wing detail & maybe a drawing. The lower wings also have magnets holding the two halves together.
2. The CF rods are along both lower edges, and both upper edges. The upper 2 take a shortcut underneath the windshield, if you look close on the side photo you can see the black CF rods. The upper is shown on the drawing also, they go on both sides from the very front top edges of the nose and follow the curved line on the print under the upper wing and back to the rear edges on the fuselage and all the way back to the end. I'll post a photo of the side and highlight the rods.
Feb 14, 2020, 12:19 AM
Hate to tell you but it was 74 degrees down here in Waynesboro, GA today
Feb 14, 2020, 01:00 AM
Thread OP
And 15 below zero here! At least I get more building done when it's cold. I'll get the wing details up tomorrow, had a 16 hour workday
Feb 15, 2020, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
Hey Ultracon, I added CF rod & wing details today.
Feb 15, 2020, 03:45 PM
Wonderful!! Thanks!! Fancyfoam.com has EPP and will even print your drawings on the foam for me!!! I have a 1200 kv motor on order and I already have a 20A ESC and some GWS micro servos. Will keep you posted..... Blue skies, no wind and 58 degrees here! Don't know why anybody lives north of Chattanooga!
Feb 15, 2020, 05:45 PM
Thread OP
You're making me jealous with all the warm weather talk...
I have looked at Fancyfoam.com before, didn't know they would print the foam. I see they have 1.3 and 1.9 lb foam, mine was done with all 1.3#

Quick Reply