Aug 14, 2020, 08:09 AM
Ironic this happened to pop up in the news.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pl...se/vi-BB17XtUX
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2020, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I remember that story from back home, where the city folk moved in next to the pig farm and then complained about the smell.
Aug 14, 2020, 11:58 PM
Hmmm, lets see, looks like there are fields ( farmland ) at the edge of the houses. The plane ( looks like a Piper Pawnee ) is an obvious crop duster. Looks like the news sensationalizing a story to get folks riled up. But then there is no credible news is the US, so this does not surprise me.
Nov 13, 2020, 04:17 PM
This is what happens when some developer buys some land in a rural area, sells the lots and people build with no knowledge of the area. So when they get wind of some odors from hogs, cattle or whatever, they go nuts. They did the same thing up here in Northern Michigan when a shady developer sold lots to unsuspecting people next to a National Guard runway.
So when the ANG began operations the new home owners began to gripe about the noise.
Too bad, they should have been more observant.
In Michigan we have right to farm laws that prevent this sort of thing from happening. If you buy some property next to an existing farm, don't complain.
Nov 30, 2020, 04:26 AM
pushing the envelope
Back on topic. Was watching a couple of self proclaimed 'experts' on self defense the other day. The primary thing they emphasized wasn't martial arts etc. but on 'situational awareness'. You walk into a restaurant with the family, you look around for an alternate exit, you sit with your back to a wall, etc. But one 'expert' pointed out that people walk around with their faces buried in the cellie, or even while driving. These are just victims waiting to happen. No clue as to who is approaching, no inkling of what their intentions are.
So flying 'under the radar' might be just as simple as flying something high and quiet, like an electric glider. The color scheme would be important too - something that would blend in a bit, such as sky blue. Then people simply wouldn't notice.
A Karen might seem to pose risks, but they almost always have an MO, and that is easy to determine. When are they indoors, when do they go to work, when do they walk the dog or water the lawn? Almost everyone has a routine.
Another risk might be the local LEO. These people are busy though. They have one eye on the laptop, another buried in the cellie, one hand on the wheel, and one hand on the radio. That alone makes their situational awareness poor. They simply won't notice you overhead. Their MO is even more easily determined. In the morning, they sit with the speed guns at the local grammar skool in the 15mph zone, generating revenue for the city. The rest of the time they are simply bored stiff, and any call that comes in with anything remotely interesting draws LEO's from multiple agencies like flies. In fact, they actually broadcast their position multiple times an hour - you remember that radio thingy, right? 10-8 donut makes your scanner into a tracker. It also serves as a Distant Early Warning (DEW) system. If somebody calls them in Code 3 (lights and siren) on a toy airplane, you can be gone in seconds when minutes count.
Nov 30, 2020, 07:09 AM
The beauty of small planes is they are very difficult to capture on cell phone video. Showing some kind of video with a micro plane is going to be a tough to sell to any law enforcement that there is potential for harm. Everything looks smaller in photos/video. They will likely look at that and ask “so you want us to chase down someone with a kid’s toy plane? You’re kidding, right?”

The public is so mis informed that it is downright pathetic. My neighbors had friends visiting, I happen to be out flying a small B-2 stealth project and the lady was freaking out, scared that it was dangerous. When I landed and showed her it was a basically a flat sheet of dow foam board she felt stupid and apologized. People really have no clue and that I’m sure is the same situation in government.
Dec 02, 2020, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
The beauty of small planes is they are very difficult to capture on cell phone video. Showing some kind of video with a micro plane is going to be a tough to sell to any law enforcement that there is potential for harm. Everything looks smaller in photos/video. They will likely look at that and ask “so you want us to chase down someone with a kid’s toy plane? You’re kidding, right?”

The public is so mis informed that it is downright pathetic. My neighbors had friends visiting, I happen to be out flying a small B-2 stealth project and the lady was freaking out, scared that it was dangerous. When I landed and showed her it was a basically a flat sheet of dow foam board she felt stupid and apologized. People really have no clue and that I’m sure is the same situation in government.
People being ignorant about our hobby, and over emotionally invested due to their ignorance *should not* be grounds or reason to restrict the safe liberty of flying RC responsibly.

People who willingly trade liberty for safety deserve neither. (And she seems the type willing to make such a trade (admittedly, pre-judged off little info though)).

Ignorance about the hobby, or ones personal emotions of fear (or anything else) should not be considered valid reason to overrule logic and reasoning, when in regards to RC flight.

Im glad she felt like an idiot. She was. Hopefully next time she will use more critical thought about actual safety before letting her emotion turn her into a raging Karren.
Dec 02, 2020, 05:40 PM
pushing the envelope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
I happen to be out flying a small B-2 stealth project and the lady was freaking out, scared that it was dangerous. When I landed and showed her it was a basically a flat sheet of dow foam board she felt stupid and apologized. People really have no clue and that Iím sure is the same situation in government.
Just think when that snowflake sees a huge dAmazon drone buzzing around, that should really trigger her! Quick, to the safe space!
Jan 02, 2021, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgroupie
Just think when that snowflake sees a huge dAmazon drone buzzing around, that should really trigger her! Quick, to the safe space!
Don't forget about the angry Karen.
Jan 02, 2021, 09:37 PM
Found what I asked elsewhere. Deleted.
Last edited by atreis; Jan 02, 2021 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply