Jan 31, 2020, 12:37 PM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
Discussion

Perfect 5" Freestyle FPV Drone - Build Guide

Halloa (aspiring) FPV quad pilots

yes! a fresh new build series for a FPV quad and not just any, but for the PERFECT quad!
Yep.. or is that click bait? I think the result of this how to will be at least a VERY GOOD fpv quad, and with that, this series is for new builders or people that wonder what parts to use

This series will also be pretty detailed! So let's get into it with an intro to the series

Perfect 5" FPV Drone Build Guide / How To - P1: INTRO (12 min 39 sec)

The parts I'll be using:
frame: Catalyst Machineworks BangGOD 5"
stack: Diatone / Mamba F722S / F50 Pro 32bits
motors: Racerstar SIC 2207 1888 kv
FPV cam: Runcam Racer 3
VTX: one of the Rush Tanks
antenna: Foxeer Lollipop v3
props: unknown
Last edited by DutchRC; Feb 01, 2020 at 10:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2020, 12:13 AM
1st of all not sure what "perfect" means.

The RacerStar motors is a werd choice. Either go budget on all components or premium.
Its just odd that you are pairing it with a F7 stack. And relatively expensive Racer3.
Feb 02, 2020, 03:15 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by romangpro
1st of all not sure what "perfect" means.

The RacerStar motors is a werd choice. Either go budget on all components or premium.
Its just odd that you are pairing it with a F7 stack. And relatively expensive Racer3.

I agree on the motors, Racerstar are usually far from premium motors, often running with more noise, due to gritty bearings and bad balancing.

For the camera I would also have other ones in mind, though I don't know the Racer 3 that well, so can't tell how it compares to for instance the Caddx Ratel or the new Foxeer Toothless, which seems to be a nice camera, based upon some early reviews.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 02, 2020, 06:52 AM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
I very much agree that Racerstar have an Awefull (and well deserved) reputation.. I have been testing THESE for about half a year now though.. And they perform on par or better then the Xing's I have on the other 2 test-quads..

I am pretty sure these SIC motors roll of the same assembly line as the Xing's BUT if people prefer those Xings, they will perform the same (and look better).

Speaking off: I am testing a Toothless.. performs well, but the one I have has an Enormous field of view.. Waiting for a "normal" version..
Feb 02, 2020, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRC
I very much agree that Racerstar have an Awefull (and well deserved) reputation.. I have been testing THESE for about half a year now though.. And they perform on par or better then the Xing's I have on the other 2 test-quads..

I am pretty sure these SIC motors roll of the same assembly line as the Xing's BUT if people prefer those Xings, they will perform the same (and look better).

Speaking off: I am testing a Toothless.. performs well, but the one I have has an Enormous field of view.. Waiting for a "normal" version..

Could be these SIC motors are rebranded from a decent manufacturer. Just like the Eachine/Diatone ER349 has very little to do with Eachine, being just a Diatone product with Eachine stamped on the canopy.

What lens do you have on the Toothless? Maybe you can show a sample video or picture, to get an impression on the FoV?
Feb 02, 2020, 08:59 AM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
These SIC motors look identical to the Xings apart from the Outer bell shape.. And well "rebranded" I guess we could call most RC products we buy as rebranded as it's hardly ever the company that we buy it from actually also manufacturing them..

right Now the Toothless is available with 1 lens option (1.7mm) and this is what that looks like:

Foxeer Toothless - Daylight / baseline test flight - DVR recording - 2020-01-13 (4 min 18 sec)
Feb 02, 2020, 03:24 PM
The "secret formula" for 5" quad is well established.
2207 or 2306 on any frame, any FC, any ESC, any antennas, and premium 200g battery. auw 450-550g.

All the components are so similar functionally, Its kinda hard to screw up:
Frame - unless its weird 3 stacks monstrosity, it will be ~100g.

Motors - durability and smoothness vary, but all 2207 very similar. ,You can even mix-match 4x diff models all about 1800kv, and you will not feel difference.

FC - You could fly 10 diff F4 and F7 and not know difference - just different features.

ESC - Varying reliability based mostly on filtering and heat dissipation.. Aint real problems for freestyle.

Camera - subjective. Depends if recording/aerial.

VTX/RX - obviously 900Mhz for long range.

BIG things you DO notice:
Rates/PID/Filtering - soft flowing or sharp responsive.

Battery - A cheapo 20C .. you will notice. A tiny sub100g .. you will notice. Its heaviest part. And literally only thing tech can improve. (frames already carbon fiber and motors 85% efficient)

Props - like tires on cars, make huge difference in response, thrust, efficiency, durability, bobble, jello..

I guess, taking car analogy further, any midsize family drives the same. Unless you have bald tires on snow, or 500lbs of potatoes in trunk, or wonky 15:1 steering ratio.
Feb 03, 2020, 12:03 PM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
I do agree with some parts but not all FC's / ESC's are created equally..

and on the subject of motors:

Perfect 5" FPV Drone Build Guide - P2: MOTOR CHOICE (14 min 57 sec)
Feb 12, 2020, 01:10 PM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
Next episode!
As this is a more detailed video (and with that, more aimed at people that haven't build before) this is Not a short video..
Obviously the installation of that 4-in-1 ESC isn't really complicated, but while I work on things I did come up with some tips & tricks..

Also: if you feel things could be done better.. be sure to put that into a comment so other people can take advantage of it.
Thanks in advance!

Perfect 5" FPV Drone Build Guide - P3: ESC INSTALL (48 min 24 sec)
Feb 14, 2020, 12:01 PM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
After getting our 4-in-1 ESC in place we direct our attention to the FC.. In this video I basically Prepare the FC and mostly narrate my fought-process in this..

Might seem redundant or over the top, but it will make the rest of the install (receiver, camera, VTX, Betaflight) easier..

Perfect 5" FPV Drone Build Guide - P4: FLIGHT CONTROLLER INSTALL (26 min 36 sec)
Feb 15, 2020, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRC
After getting our 4-in-1 ESC in place we direct our attention to the FC.. In this video I basically Prepare the FC and mostly narrate my fought-process in this..

I might have been a battle to make this, but I assume in this case you mean "thought-process" as in thinking, not fighting.
Feb 15, 2020, 06:37 AM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
LOL I guess the real battle was in the typing of an accompanying text :P
Feb 20, 2020, 12:03 PM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
error in the video... deleted..
Last edited by DutchRC; Feb 20, 2020 at 12:12 PM.
Feb 20, 2020, 01:32 PM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
allright then.. time to turn our attention to some of the firmware things in the build
This time I'll make sure I have the latest firmware on the 4-in-1 (and I'm including it in this series because I have already tested THIS BLheli version on THIS ESC)..
And we'll make sure our motors spin the correct way around

Perfect 5" FPV Drone Build Guide - P5: MOTOR DIRECTION & BLheli32 (16 min 57 sec)
Feb 22, 2020, 12:00 PM
my RC. Your info
Thread OP
Next step in the build will be setting up Betaflight! We are pretty much on the home stretch here now

So.. in this video I'll be flashing the latest version of BF onto the flight controller, and give it a first once-over..

Perfect 5" FPV Drone Build Guide - P6: BETAFLIGHT 4.1.x CONFIGURATION (32 min 5 sec)

Quick Reply