Feb 04, 2020, 10:17 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
My local airport... er... airfield (it’s that small) will have to step its act up...

Customs:

Oh, hi, how’re ye, been gone long? 2 weeks, ‘‘twas grand, How’s the wife, Mick? Ah sure, she’s a bit off the form with that gammy leg of hers, you know the way...but sure she’ll get there.

Do I need you to check these, Mick?

Ah, no you’re fine.sure you’re fine, go on.

Send Anne our love!

I will, of course! Bye Bye bye!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2020, 06:54 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
Sorry, had to link this

When you start selling Irish passports to the Brits (1 min 32 sec)

I wonder which is worse. The NHS or the HSE.
Feb 05, 2020, 08:13 AM
Haway the lads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez
I’m quite (rabidly?) nationalist too, but I realise without the EU, Ireland is somewhat £\/c|<ed....
I wish you well. I am super proud of the British people, English, Irish, Scots the lot.

We built Europe ya knaw!

Mark Knopfler - Why Aye Man (Official Video) (4 min 9 sec)
Feb 06, 2020, 07:56 PM
Haway the lads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez
I’m quite (rabidly?) nationalist too, but I realise without the EU, Ireland is somewhat £\/c|<ed....

I have been thinking about you. Giving up is not the Irish way.
The banks get bailouts while entire industries are sold out.
I am looking forward to this coming back.

Once upon a time in Sundeland we made ships (4 min 46 sec)
Feb 07, 2020, 06:23 AM
Quite a modern video by the look of it.
My Great Granddad was a boilermaker in the Sunderland shipyards turn of the century and as was custom his son (Granddad) followed suit but they all closed down. In 1936 he and my Grandma decided to march to London because they couldn't feed my Mum who was 3, (the Jarrow Marches https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarrow_March ). Got as far as the Midlands and they were pretty much done for, having to carry Mum and with no food. Luckily in Bedworth in the Midlands someone took pity and got granddad a job as a blacksmith down a pit where the family settled....
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Feb 07, 2020, 06:25 AM
(not down the pit, in Bedworth)
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Feb 07, 2020, 08:19 AM
Haway the lads!
Paul,
there was decline from their hey day but many ship yards were still functional when I started my apprenticeship in Gateshead at 16.

There is a lot of history there. I started watching videos of the yards along the Wear and the Tyne. I like people from both sides.
I got sucked into watching all this recent history and I must have lost at least 3 hours. LOL.

The landscape is completely changed along the Wear now.
Feb 07, 2020, 05:24 PM
Turnigynarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenx
I wish you well. I am super proud of the British people, English, Irish, Scots the lot.

We built Europe ya knaw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwSDX95wCs
The video is not available in the US! Pity, I really like that track, pretty funny. My favourite Geordie expression is "jaw-nee inta space" meaning a good Friday night out!
Feb 07, 2020, 07:29 PM
Haway the lads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
The video is not available in the US! Pity, I really like that track, pretty funny. My favourite Geordie expression is "jaw-nee inta space" meaning a good Friday night out!
A journey into space sounds more like a magic mushroom episode to me than a "Friday Night on the Toon".

But your pronunciation was perfect.

The way Geordies pronounce "space" is not spellable phonetically as far as I can figure. I am a born and bread Mackam. We need a real Geordie to help us with that. They probably think they just say "space".

As an interesting little aside. I hope you can get this video. My Brother inlaws dad is one of the kids skipping and singing in this vidoe.

Bartram's yard 2nd May 1961 (2 min 5 sec)
Feb 07, 2020, 07:36 PM
Haway the lads!
2doggs,

My apologies I just realised. Are you a Geordie in Louisiana?

I will get me coat.
Lindisfarne _ Fog on the Tyne live 1971 (3 min 19 sec)
Last edited by warrenx; Feb 07, 2020 at 07:47 PM.
Feb 08, 2020, 09:23 AM
Turnigynarian
Naw, I'm a Manc in Louisiana! The Bartram'syard video played just fine, no copyright issues on that.
Feb 09, 2020, 03:44 PM
Yadtech Heavy Industries Ltd.
Hopefully it goes smoothly..
Feb 10, 2020, 07:12 PM
Haway the lads!
Coopz,

I cannot imagine the French cartoon industry being effected one way or the other.
Feb 11, 2020, 11:05 PM
Turnigynarian
and ironically the cartoon references the sea, and of course Brexit promises the prospect of a revitalied UK fishing industry and recovery for some of the fishing grounds. I'm hoping the UK will begin to import bananas from the West Indies again, and maybe there will be NZ lamb in the supermarkets, free from the huge tariffs imposed by the EU. And Canadian wheat.....
Feb 13, 2020, 09:04 PM
Haway the lads!
Thank you 2 Doggs.
NZ lamb, ... there is non better as far as I am concerned !

Great!
the intention of Broke Dad who started this thread, was a celebration of the moment of Brexit.

Here is lad who's music I have listened to man and boy. He is awesome and takes the piss out of us English in the introduction.

Dick Gaughan sings Both Sides the Tweed during #GE2015 and mentions @WingsScotland in intro (5 min 54 sec)

Quick Reply