Jan 31, 2020, 09:31 AM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
Build Log

CG Chipmunk

I picked up this kit some time back (I actually have 2), so it's time to build. First is inventory of parts and removal from the die crushed sheets. Actually, the die cutting wasn't that bad. All the important parts appear to be present.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2020, 09:38 AM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
First is to laminate some parts and build the horizontal stab. There are also some sanding tools in the kit. I built them and we'll see how well they work.
Feb 01, 2020, 04:31 PM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
Stab sheeted, elevator halves built. I'll be adding some blocks at the hinge points on the elevator halves. Now the fin and rudder.
Feb 01, 2020, 07:31 PM
the smell of nitro in the morn
Looking good! I'll have try the magnets on their side never gave that a shot. I'm fitting engine and throttle controls on the D7, moving right along this might be a short building season.
Feb 02, 2020, 08:04 AM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
Just a note when using the magnets on their side. They are okay for locating parts, but they don't have the strength to apply clamping pressure. I use them this way to spread out the pressure against the wood. You'll notice I have additional magnets backing these up in some places.
Feb 09, 2020, 02:35 PM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
Final shaping of the tail feathers. The nice thing about the Robart hinge is that it allows you to use short pieces of 1/8" dowel to keep everything aligned while you sand. I'll set these parts aside for now and start on the wing.
Feb 09, 2020, 02:55 PM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
I added 1/2" holes in ribs #2 - #7 for the servo lead ( I will be using 2 servos). The wing is built upside down over the plans. First thing is to pin (or clamp in my case) the main spar in position with one end even with the center of the wing. Then locate the platform ribs #3, #9, & 14 over the spar and glue in place. The magnets I use do a good job of keeping them vertical. Place the notched trailing edge in place and glue it to the ribs. It should sit on top of the tabs and be flush with the top of the rib. Place the remaining ribs 2 - 15 in position and glue in place. On this part of the construction I use medium CA as I shouldn't have to sand anything later.
Feb 09, 2020, 03:00 PM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
The top spar is now clamped and glued in place. The landing gear mounting block is next. I used wood glue here and will be adding more reinforcing later as this is a known weak spot. While the glue is drying I laminated some other parts for later use.
There! Are you happy now, Matt?
Feb 09, 2020, 05:51 PM
I've got a CG chipmunk kit. They were super popular years ago. I'm going to put a K*B .61 in mine. I don't care for the plastic wingtips so I will replace with balsa.

carl
Feb 15, 2020, 01:12 PM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
Right wing bottom sheeting and spar webs in place. I've set that aside while I build the left side.
Feb 22, 2020, 11:17 AM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
Left side done. Landing gear blocks epoxied in place along with some extra reinforcement. Joining the halves is next, but I'll make the aileron servo mounts first.
Feb 23, 2020, 07:14 AM
the smell of nitro in the morn
Moving right along, what is your plan for covering?
Feb 23, 2020, 08:09 AM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
Covering with a combination of Ultracote and Monokote. Colors to match Art Scholl's plane.
Feb 29, 2020, 01:25 PM
Andover, NH
Thread OP
Checking the fit of the landing gear legs, I found that they would end up crushing the top sheeting support. I trimmed them about 3/32" to make them clear. Glad I checked that before I closed up the top. The servo hatches are made and the mounting rails installed. You may notice some extraneous bits of wood glued to the ribs in the bay to the left of the servo bay. All I can say is I've added to the "Measure twice, cut once" rule. "Make sure you putting the rails in the proper #*@%! bay, dumbass."

Quick Reply