Jan 30, 2020, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Question

Help with a custom zelos build/Self introduction

Hello everyone, my name is Mitchell and Ive decided to build a custom boat with a Zelos 36" hull from ProBoat.

I want to do a custom airbrushed paintjob and do all different/stronger internals, however ive never built a boat before and im not sure where to start or how. I also own a sonicwake 36" by proboat and recently I upgraded that with a hobbywing seaking 180a ESC and im really liking the improvements so I at least know I want to make the same ESC upgrade with my new Zelos Build and grab 2 of them for each of the motors.

However for the motor themselves im not too sure where to begin. The stock motors are 36.68mm, 6 Pole, 2000KV by Dynamite. Ive seen videos of people upgrading similar motors (Blackjack 24) to a brand called "Leopard" however they never seem to mention the model or type so I cant assume one that will work, at all - if any of you know an upgraded motor that will fit in the hull of a Zelos 36" without killing the batteries please let me know! im just looking for a little more UMPH in the fast passes i do. I dont drive my boat for speed passes, i like to put them around and keep them on the lake as long as possible while still allowing the occasional fast pass.

Also internally speaking, With the upgraded motor and ESC im assuming ill then need to upgrade the servo in order to handle the increased speed and torque/steering - any recommendations on this?

Would I need a new radio/controller to send/receive a stronger signal?

See below for a picture of all my customized boats I already own! Ill keep you all updated on this build with your help!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2020, 02:15 PM
120sr/200srx/230s/300cfx/200qx
Hi!
Can we see the rear of that AMG? Please!

Thanks!
Feb 01, 2020, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by targetingxmod
Hi!
Can we see the rear of that AMG? Please!

Thanks!
Of Course - sorry I didnt see this sooner give me 5 and ill upload some of the back end of the AMG and upload some pics I left out of my Veles 29"!
Feb 01, 2020, 06:14 PM
Thread OP
Not the cleanest looking pick up set up on the rear of my Sonicwake 36" (AMG) - but it cools like a charm!

Both my Veles 29" (Maserati) and my Sonicwake 36" (AMG) have the dual rudder pick up from Offshore electrics as well as a prop blast pick up from them too!
Feb 02, 2020, 02:10 PM
Ok, thanks for showing this!

-Now 3 questions....

-The 3Blade prop is what size and what pitch? 38mm CNC? Or 40mm?
-Why the pickup on the the strut? Any reason why? I only see them on the Transom, close to the strut on most boats!
-Why 3 inlets? One goes to esc, the other to the motor, and the 3 goes where? I am lost!

Maybe 4...
That Hot Racing black alloy thing, is what? And upgrade for the Sonicwake? Or for anyhting else? What's it's job beside bling bling!

Thanks!
I am asking this because i have a SonicWake and i am doing "mods" to it! And like to see what others do to it... to convice myself if that's a good mod or not, to copy! :P

Funny thing is that the "V12" are actual letter's from the real 1:1 mercedes cars...i have a w210 sw Know those letters!
Last edited by targetingxmod; Feb 02, 2020 at 03:08 PM.
Feb 03, 2020, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by targetingxmod
Ok, thanks for showing this!

-Now 3 questions....

-The 3Blade prop is what size and what pitch? 38mm CNC? Or 40mm?
-Why the pickup on the the strut? Any reason why? I only see them on the Transom, close to the strut on most boats!
-Why 3 inlets? One goes to esc, the other to the motor, and the 3 goes where? I am lost!

Maybe 4...
That Hot Racing black alloy thing, is what? And upgrade for the Sonicwake? Or for anyhting else? What's it's job beside bling bling!

Thanks!
I am asking this because i have a SonicWake and i am doing "mods" to it! And like to see what others do to it... to convice myself if that's a good mod or not, to copy! :P

Funny thing is that the "V12" are actual letter's from the real 1:1 mercedes cars...i have a w210 sw Know those letters!
Heck yeah man gotta fit the boat with some fancy lettering - all my boats have a car "spirit" to them: Mercedes AMG, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Jaguar, Ferrari, etc i like using the real life parts if theyll fit glad you noticed!

Here is the link to the 3 blade prop I used - be warned I bought this prop rather blindly when I first got my bigger boats and was eager to put simple upgrades on them! - https://www.ebay.ph/itm/CNC-Aluminum...-/152267471944

The reason why I installed the pick up on the strut is because I was too nervous messing around with drilling holes at the time I did this modification as well as the transom goes back a bit from the hatch opening and I couldnt fit the tools I had on hand back there past the servo arm - and again I didnt know enough to feel comfortable moving the servo/removing it to install the pick-up so I just put it where I could for the time being essentially, Also, now that im typing out why - I remember at the time I did this I wanted to make certain water would go up and into the cooling lines so I put it really low on the boat!

And sort of piggy backing off the last answer/question I did 3 cooling lines to double down on keeping my internals at a good temp.

When I first got the boat I was running it on 6s and pretty much every time it was done after a run it was either burning hot or there was amounts of white smoke coming from the boat when I took off the hatch! So then I started running it on 5 cell to keep the temps down but I felt like the boat was pushing water without as much power and took very long to get on plane - thus using high engine RPMs and using a lot of battery power heating up my ESC (I had yet to understand this). After about 6-10 runs the boat wouldnt turn on or do anything - I damaged the ESC through repeated hot runs while I was trying to figure out how to achieve the opposite!

Then to get it fixed (i didnt know it was the ESC) I took it into a local hobby shop and they were just enthralled with my boat they really like how I designed it with the decals and so we started to chat about boats because i was rather new to them and they started to explain how an ESC works once they determined that my stock 120a ESC was burned out and suggested I go with a 180a Seaking ESC and I figured what the hell, why not?!

Then I explained my situation to them about my boat being wayy too hot from 6s usage and the guys at the shop told me with my new 180a I can go back to driving 6s very comfortably and man were they right. Thing hauls ass now and comes back cool as a cucumber

So long story short - I was tinkering with my boat trying to figure out how to cool it more and more, then my ESC got burned, replaced it with a better higher amp ESC (Seaking 180a), and kept the previous cooling system on the boat!

OH - and the hot-racing item is a rear splash guard, thats actually made for a traxxas spartan. But the listed purpose of it is to lessen the amount of water that comes over the back of the boat when you slow down or come to a stop while driving your boat. Im sure the actual amount of water it stops is negligible, but it does work to an extent but as you could guess - its mostly blingy

Let me take some pictures right now to show you the inside and ill explain how I have it set up cooling-wise, internally!
Last edited by Mitchell_92; Feb 03, 2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: extra comment
Feb 03, 2020, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
Here ya go!

The two lines coming out of the left hand side of the picture are the two lines that come off my OffshoreElectrics dual rudder pick up.

These I joined together (and I may be incorrect) because in my head - in my attempts to make it cool the ESC better, I used two lines and joined them into the same tubing with the same inner diameter in order to create a little back up in the lines to make sure as little amount of air bubbles entered the line as well as keeping the backed-up water cooling the ESC for just a smij longer than normal before it is expelled through the side of the hull.

The motor heating up wasnt ever a top priority as it seemed to stay decently cool when I was having ESC heat problems with the previous 120a. So this is the reason I have a standard single line going through the motor - it does its job just fine.

The line from the strut pickup is the one going into the motor - always comes back cool. That being said - if i knew what i know now and being slightly more skilled in modding boats - I may have done things differently, but would still likely have a 3 line pick up set up
Feb 07, 2020, 04:28 PM
Boaters are nice people.

Overplumbing.

Hi Mitchell,

There is a reason competition boats only have as little as possible dragging through the water: drag.

All my boats have a single inlet (in the hull, not in the rudderblade, or sticking out), the water goes to the ESC, than the motor and subsequently to the outlet.
Using as little silicone tubing as possible (it's rather draggy inside) and using thin walled aluminum tubing for the long stretches.
Nothing gets hot, ever.

If you 'need' this much plumbing, your set-up is flawed, the added drag will slow you down and increase the ampdraw even more.

Regards, Jan.
Feb 09, 2020, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
Hi Mitchell,

There is a reason competition boats only have as little as possible dragging through the water: drag.

All my boats have a single inlet (in the hull, not in the rudderblade, or sticking out), the water goes to the ESC, than the motor and subsequently to the outlet.
Using as little silicone tubing as possible (it's rather draggy inside) and using thin walled aluminum tubing for the long stretches.
Nothing gets hot, ever.

If you 'need' this much plumbing, your set-up is flawed, the added drag will slow you down and increase the ampdraw even more.

Regards, Jan.
I dont mean this to sound rude - when reading straight text conversation can be interpreted wrong but my set up is stock. It was running too hot with one cooling line as it comes out of the box, so i added more cooling lines, now its not hot.

I dont understand why that would be considered over plumbing, I made it so it runs cool so it seems to me like thats just the right amount of cooling?

I dont drive my boats for all out speed - i like to putt them around - i like my run time lasting longer than 3 minutes!
Feb 10, 2020, 02:57 PM
Thanks, man! Appreciated the photos and the story behind it! Also i am going to use a 3 water solution on my SW 36" ...

Also do you have videos of yours runing?

Quick Reply