Feb 20, 2020, 10:04 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
The 3rd coat of epoxy is on. It will cure for the next 24 hours and then I'll cut them off the building boards. The 3.2 oz glass did not go totally clear and there are several areas that just don't make the grade. Some of the yellow cedar has minor stains and some spots. It will have a 20/20 finish. Looks good at 20 feet or 20 MPH, preferably both.
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 21, 2020 at 09:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2020, 10:13 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
First mock up. What you see right now is 510g. I'll get maybe 20 more off before I start adding more. With my weight chart I set up with the last build I can project these new weights to tell me I'm going to have to be careful to get 100g of corrector weight.
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 24, 2020 at 11:13 PM.
Feb 25, 2020, 09:48 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
I went to the extreme and took a lot of the interior off and thinned the wood to about 2.5 or less in many places. The 510g is now 470g.
Feb 25, 2020, 10:37 PM
Classic wooden RC sailboater
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
I went to the extreme and took a lot of the interior off and thinned the wood to about 2.5 or less in many places. The 510g is now 470g.
Yikes... you are much more daring than I am. My boat is much heavier. Gawd...
Feb 27, 2020, 07:52 AM
470 including the deck; that is a good weight David. I hope my slice will be in that range. affraid that my Ellipsis is going to be heavier.
Feb 29, 2020, 02:44 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
Work on the aft deck and the interior surfaces is almost complete. I epoxied the interior surfaces and wiped as much off as I could and again used the heat gun to remove more. As she sits now with the pot lid (19g) she is at 495g. Next up is the transom followed by interior glass and I'm going to limit the amount of glass to the high stress areas only.
Last edited by davidjensen; Mar 07, 2020 at 12:20 PM.
Mar 07, 2020, 04:23 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
Working on the mast well. The last part is going to be tricky as the two ends are at 75 degrees to each other. 38 sticks so far with 8 more to go
Last edited by davidjensen; Mar 07, 2020 at 09:21 PM.
Mar 10, 2020, 12:06 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
Just 2 more sticks and the mast well and groove are done ready for 2oz glass
Mar 10, 2020, 01:09 PM
nice
Mar 11, 2020, 06:43 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
The foredeck is almost complete and should be about 110 g with the cutouts in place. Next is to mount the main deck hardware. Iím stuck waiting for my appendages to arrive from Dave Creed. They should arrive late next week. But until they do I canít get much else done
Mar 15, 2020, 08:35 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
I got the appendages from Dave Creed early in the week. The fin was raw and needed to be tapered to fit the keel box and cut to length. I also had to install the bolt insert for the top of the fin. The laser was used to get things straight and so far so good. There will be a different procedure for this build due to the wire I'm going to use to take the strain of the shrouds and route it to the bottom of the mast (much like the V boats). So I have to mount the keel box to the main deck first so I can route the wire from one shroud eyelet to the other going though the bottom of the mast well. All the wood parts now weigh 599g. My spread sheet now shows about 75g of corrector weight.
Mar 16, 2020, 03:28 PM
interesting, David. So you're going to glue the mast and finbox to the deck first, and then the whole combination to the hull? or did i misunderstand your post. It would solve the problem of getting the connection of mast/finbox and the bottom of the mast well watertight. Getting the connection between hull and finbox watertight may be more easy, as the glue/resin will stay in place far more easy, being in the lowest point of the boat.
Mar 17, 2020, 10:35 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
Well getting a lot done during these interesting times
Mar 18, 2020, 05:35 AM
same here David, I am spending my ski holiday at home. the good news: I can work on my IOM's.
You just gave me the solution to one of my problems. I am going to put in the aft deck first, and then the bulkhead and the foredeck.
Thanks!
Mar 19, 2020, 10:15 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
I just got done counting all the strips of wood used to make this boat. 231 I must be nuts.

Quick Reply