to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2020, 03:29 PM
Merlin impersonator
Thread OP
Thanks Vicky, Jorn. I guess you two would have a good idea of how long this stuff takes! Incidentally, I think the first time I saw glazing bars done this way was on Jorn's Chipmunk. They got paint today and look rather cool IMO.

Shroom Man, Yes, this one will have the kidney exhausts. Yours look pretty good to me as does the fabric wing. Mine were beautifully made by our subcontractor in the Antipodes. They are being painted at the moment. Have still to decide how to attach them so that I can get the cowling on and off. Velcro maybe.

Set up outside hoping for some sun and got rain instead. Panic, but no damage. Will be glad once it is sealed.

Alec
Oct 26, 2020, 04:53 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Hiya Alec,

just to make a point, Australia is in fact not your Antipode. So, should I move to New Zealand?

Shane.

From Wikapedia:

Cities on the other side of the world of Glasgow
This table contains the populated locations that are closest to Glasgow's antipode. These are the farthest cities in the world from Glasgow.

City Country Distance from antipode Coordinates
Papatowai, Otago New Zealand 1,123 km (-46.561, 169.471)
Kaitangata, Otago New Zealand 1,143 km (-46.275, 169.850)
Balclutha, Otago New Zealand 1,150 km (-46.234, 169.750)
Bluff, Southland New Zealand 1,152 km (-46.600, 168.333)
Milton, Otago New Zealand 1,156 km (-46.121, 169.969)
Wyndham, Southland New Zealand 1,164 km (-46.333, 168.850)
Edendale, Southland New Zealand 1,167 km (-46.317, 168.783)
Portobello, Otago New Zealand 1,170 km (-45.850, 170.650)
Dunedin, Otago New Zealand 1,170 km (-45.874, 170.504)
Invercargill, Southland New Zealand 1,172 km (-46.400, 168.350)
Oct 27, 2020, 06:09 AM
Big gov never Works
Wow..for a while, I did not think I was going to find out what antipode meant. Thats 100% silk, Alec. And I was trying to do the early version w/Watts Prop.

Fuzz
Oct 27, 2020, 04:16 PM
Viceless no longer :)
Hi Alec, you might find bamboo cocktail stick stubs useful for securing the exhaust kidneys. Slightly off topic but re exhausts; Tim came home one day when I was stuffing small sections of those long exhaust tubes on the Demon with cotton wool, in order that they kept their shape around the bends. He couldn't work out what I was up to at the time and thought I was modelling fluffy/puffy exhaust fumes billowing out the back - rather Thomas the Tank Engine style. Was rather funny at the time.
Oct 27, 2020, 04:55 PM
Father by day, hacker by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherflyer
He couldn't work out what I was up to at the time and thought I was modelling fluffy/puffy exhaust fumes billowing out the back - rather Thomas the Tank Engine style.
Well, have to admit that was the first thought on my mind too when I read "stuffing small sections of those long exhaust tubes on the Demon with cotton wool"
Oct 28, 2020, 07:19 PM
Merlin impersonator
Thread OP
When I was wee i used cotton wool for smoke trails in the dogfight on my bedroom ceiling.

When it was dark I used to shine a searchlight at them. And it gave me lurid dreams.

I remember running behind the house and hiding in the coal bunker when I saw a twin engined aircraft turning towards me. It was probably a Fokker Friendship rather than a Dornier. But I wasn't taking any chances.
Oct 28, 2020, 07:30 PM
Merlin impersonator
Thread OP

29 October - North Weald

In the week following the Romney Marsh engagement, 257 Squadron had a couple of similar battles with 109s, claiming five probables for no losses. But an increasing number of patrols were completed without sighting the enemy.

On 29 October two fallow patrols had been run in the late morning and early afternoon. A North Weald Wing patrol was planned for late afternoon and ahead of this, 257 Squadron moved up to 249’s dispersal. Coming out of the joint briefing, Jock Girdwood was trading banter with the Sergeants from 249 when a flight of Me109s came over the southern perimeter and up the eastern side of the airfield opening fire on 249’s dispersal area.

With machine gun fire tearing up the turf around them, the pilots raced to get their aircraft in the air. Jock’s mechanics had the engine running as he scrambled aboard. Finding a clear path, Jock set off across the field. As he lifted off an explosion blossomed ahead. Jock’s aircraft took most of the blast and was propelled into a roll

Sergeant Titch Palliser of 249 had been aware of another Hurricane taking off on his right. As he became airborne he was aware of a loud crack off to starboard and looked up to see another Hurricane going sideways over the top of him.

Jock’s Hurricane crashed down onto its port wing and skidded along on its belly, coming to rest a few hundred yards beyond the perimeter track on fire. Pilots from a nearby dispersal ran to help but were driven back by the heat and exploding ammunition. They could only watch as the aircraft and its pilot were consumed.

To place things in some perspective, Jock was one of nineteen who lost their lives on the raid on North Weald 80 years ago today, another forty-two being wounded.

With the loss of Jock Girdwood and Bobby Fraser in the last days of the Battle, the story of our three Sergeants who joined up and went to war together comes to a rather solemn close. Ron Forward, who was rested suffering from combat stress in August 1940, did not return to operational flying. He continued to serve in RAF Administration Branch and was commissioned in 1944. He held the rank of Flying Officer when demobbed in 1946.

For those of you who have followed the story, I hope you have enjoyed it and feel it has made for more than just another Hawker Hurricane thread. I don’t think that the story has been told before. Not much has been written about 257 Squadron between May and September 1940. For myself it has been a fascinating journey and learned a lot along the way.

Now there’s a model aeroplane to be finished.

Footnote. For the above narrative of 29 October, I have drawn on two recollections of the events from Titch Palliser of 249 Squadron and the 257 Squadron administrative records. There are other versions to the story. S/L Tuck’s biography Fly For Your Life, has 257 Squadron taking off in formation at the time of the attack. Jock’s aircraft is supposed to have ballooned over the top of his and Tuck is said to have been able to see into Jock’s cockpit. This version has been referenced in other “histories”. However, the Squadron Operation Record Book states that F/L Blatchford was acting S/L for this patrol and Tuck is not listed as having flown.

This morphing of fact and fiction seems not to be that unusual. In The Big Show, an action over Scapa Flow is attributed to Pierre Clostermann which is generally recognised to have involved another pilot.
Oct 28, 2020, 08:48 PM
Big gov never Works
Very good thread, Alec. On a positive note: You did the windscreen frame properly. I forgot to angle the frames aft, where the enclosures meet.

Fuzz
Oct 29, 2020, 08:10 AM
Viceless no longer :)
Hi Alec, a very sad day for 257/249 sqns. Its very easy to look at the writings of Sgt Nutter and see his picture as an elder man and think, you were very jammy to get through that lot, but in fact, to have to go through it, that is not jammy in the slightest. Much respect and admiration is due for without their fortitude to carry-on, I doubt that we would be free to live in a democractric country. Per Ardua Ad Astra and hoping that your hurricane shows no difficulties taking to the air.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:34 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Thanks very much for the story behind the model, Alec. It's been fascinating to watch the two develop together.

I'm struck by how young the Sergeants seem to me, from my perspective as a 57 year-old father of two sons, aged 25 and 28. My "boys" are both grown men, older than any of the Sergeants were in the Summer of 1940, but I recoil at the thought of them having to endure what the young men of the 1940's underwent. At the same time, I remember well being a 22 year-old army officer at the height of the Cold War, full of p*ss and vinegar, ready and willing to put my training to the ultimate test. I certainly never thought of myself as a "boy" back then, but older, perhaps wiser, and with much more to lose now, I often find myself reflecting on our need to send our children off to war every so often. A father's perspective has made me a chicken.

Steve
Oct 29, 2020, 02:42 PM
Neophyte hacker
Interesting how that goes, isn't it. My dad was in WWII. His father in WWI. Father-in-law was Navy post WWII. I was Army from 75-95. Son was Coast Guard. We all were trained and ready by the time we were 22, some at 18. I was lucky and missed Vietnam by a year. Instead went to Germany for Cold War duty. Son missed going to the Gulf by one year.

No, we did not feet like 'boys' even if our parents felt that way. I did not feel that way about my son when he was out disrupting drug runners.

Don't know whether it is better to be deployed or to feel the guilt of not being deployed. I still feel guilty sometimes to be considered a 'veteran' even though I never went in a combat zone.

I can go on for ages about the 'need' for military action. Too many times it is a stupid reason. Some times it is actually to help defend those who cannot defend themselves.
Oct 30, 2020, 06:07 PM
Merlin impersonator
Thread OP
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Very interesting. I'm just grateful for having lived in a golden age, present challenges notwithstanding.

Take care

Alec
Oct 30, 2020, 06:33 PM
Merlin impersonator
Thread OP

Whether to Weather

Prior to varnishing I have been doing a little weathering in addition to the work on panel shading. When you look at original photos it is apparent that aircraft in service accumulate really serious amounts of dirt and abrasion. While I didn’t want to go that far at this stage – you can always add more – I didn’t want a factory fresh finish either.

To start, some pictures that influenced my approach.
Oct 31, 2020, 02:15 AM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi Alec,

'I dips me lid!'

Thanks, it does look good in there. Probably a good idea attaching the compass to the pilot, those mounting brackets where never very strong.
It seems like such a long time since I did all that interior stuff....it's kind of wierd seing it in your Hurri!

Are we making Merlin noises yet?

Shane.

Quick Reply