Feb 02, 2020, 06:45 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi Alec,

OK, so what diameter is the spinner? 2 blade or 3 blade prop? I think I can use Paul Kohlmans M-20 spinner, the shape is pretty much spot on. My CAD skills have not yet graduated to drawing spinners. Perhaps I need to learn more!

I also found a stl for a Hurri radiator bath. I might need a length for that.
Do you have a scale for the model?

Yeah I know, so many questions.

Shane.
3D printer owner and volunteer....
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2020, 06:20 PM
Aka Magical Moonstone
Thread OP
I have been delighted to place an order with Universal Fabrications of Mittagong Au. Most generous Shane. Thank you!

But just in case anyone was wondering about the details:

At 60" span, the model is 1/8 scale

The spinner on the plan, at 86mm diameter, is slightly bigger than the 84mm of the forward fuselage. I think this was a compromise the designer made to take advantage of available hardware.

Shane has found a print file for the radiator casing. As this will fit aft of the CG, I'm wondering what a 3D print will weigh.

In the meantime parts for the aft fuselage have been cut out. It's looking like a wet weekend so a good chance of keeping some momentum.

Alec
Feb 04, 2020, 06:37 PM
Hi Alec,

Print slicer software tells me the radiator bath will weigh 32 grams, printed in ABS plastic at 163mm length. This is just a hollow shell and you will have to build in the radiator faces themselves.

Seems reasonable. If nothing else you can make a mold from it to make a glass version. I'll print one out and see!

Shane @ Universal Fab.
Feb 04, 2020, 07:43 PM
Parkcityflier
Well now, this build will be interesting to me. I am also planning to build a Hurricane Mk 1 but probably won't get started until the Fall. I'm just collecting parts for it as of now. Mine is a Brian Taylor design, 70" WS, and designed for a 10-13.5 cc engine. Mine will be electric, though. The construction will be a composite of foam construction, like what John Morgan uses, for the wings and forward fuselage and a lot of stringers and fabric for the aft part of the fuselage. The object here is to go for a minimum AUW. Since I am half Finnish I plan to use the markings of the ones that were used by the Finnish.

Jim
Feb 04, 2020, 08:04 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Alec,
I agree with Fuzz. The lite ply tends to soak up the ca deeply leaving a very minimal glue seam.

J
Latest blog entry: FunAero 1/5th scale SE-5a
Feb 05, 2020, 06:09 AM
Hi Alec,

Well, someone has to dangle the carrot for you to get started so, here's some inspirational photos for you....

3D printed radiator bath. Ackowledgement to Tom Hunt for the file from Thingyverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4047949

Shane.
Feb 05, 2020, 09:21 AM
Aka Magical Moonstone
Thread OP
That looks very good Shane and thanks also to Tom Hunt. The surface will clean up well. A spot of botox for the lips and she will be ready to party.
Feb 05, 2020, 10:04 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.

Three Sergeants and a Hurricane

One nutcase and his Spitfire

Hope the project goes well.

Ray.
Feb 05, 2020, 11:45 AM
Big gov never Works
That will look sharp, on the Hurri! Now for a pair of kidney exhausts?
Feb 05, 2020, 04:00 PM
Aka Magical Moonstone
Thread OP
Thanks Ray

Give him a chance Fuzz. He has a whole inventory to get through

Alec
Feb 05, 2020, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
That will look sharp, on the Hurri! Now for a pair of kidney exhausts?
Tom has designed the exhausts too but they are the later fishtail style. I need to learn how to modify the file to the kydney shape. Then start drawing instrument panels. Good for me now that I am workshopless (not viceless though, my vice is still intact and bolted firmly to the workbench!).

I have printed a 2nd copy of the radiator bath, in PLA plastic. The first one in ABS suffered some distortion, making it look somewhat pregnant! PLA can be problematic too as it has a lower thermal distortion point. That has been a problem here in Australia but in Scotland unlikely to ever get hot enough to distort things.!

Shane.
Feb 06, 2020, 03:46 AM
Big gov never Works
Hey Shane, Vicky, Alec, I am back on the road! Good feeling. Just in time for work the valentine week rush. After that is over, I will get your secret fan to you.

Fuzz
Feb 06, 2020, 03:49 AM
Aka Magical Moonstone
Thread OP
You are not far wrong Shane. Summer 2018 was nice, but 2017 we had only 3 days above 20 degrees C. Fortunately I have a bit of flexibility over when I work and am able to make the best of what we get.

It might be interesting for you to play about with Tom's CAD file. But don't agonise over it. It would be straightforward to shorten the fishes on the first two stubs and to replace the last with a piece of tube.

That's good news Fuzz. Enjoy being out and about. When we get to Valentine's it feels that Spring is not too far away

All the best

Alec
Feb 06, 2020, 03:56 AM
Big gov never Works
It's hell being without wheels, Alec. I lose independence.
Feb 06, 2020, 04:58 AM
Hi Fuzz,

glad you got the old jalopy fixed up!

Shane.

Quick Reply