Jan 30, 2020, 02:57 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Discussion

Open Letter to RC Groups management: What is RCG doing about the FAA NPRM?

Now that we are half way through the comment period for the upcoming FAA NPRM for the proposed FAA UAS regulations, I was hoping you would share with us what RCG is doing to respond to the NPRM.

Given the large negative effect that these proposed regulations will have on the hobby we love and by extension, to the thousands of enthusiasts that frequent RCG and all related RC businesses, I am certain that RCG is working on this. Can you share what you have done and are doing?

I personally have a number of hours invested in writing my personal response and have recruited a number of other people only slightly involved in the hobby to help respond, with the kind of comments that will support the hobby as we know it.

I feel that this thread should be in this forum, instead of the model aircraft and drone advocacy forum, due to the current situation.

(Mods: please make this a sticky so that the inevitable non-helpful gloom and doom and negative comments can be edited out. This thread is for helpful comments and ideas only)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2020, 04:39 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Bumping this up so that the RCG folks might see it on Monday...
Feb 02, 2020, 07:35 PM
RCG Admin
We are commenting and Jim I believe is working on an article to post soon. We are a forum and there has been lots of discussion about the topic in various forum sections.
Feb 02, 2020, 09:05 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
I realize that we are a forum. I know it has been being discussed in various threads.

Glad to hear there is an article coming.

Given the current situation, I respectfully think it is a mistake to move this thread to here. It needs to be where it will be seen by all. Can I request that it be moved back for higher visibility?

I am really hoping that RCG can show some strong leadership here, especially to the many non AMA modelers not getting any direction from the AMA.

I understand there is PAC being formed by the RC industry.

There was a significant downturn in RC aircraft sales and activity when the pilot registration rule was enacted by the FAA some time ago, which is insignificant compared to what is happening now.

Is it time to start collecting money for good legal representation?
Last edited by Thomas B; Feb 02, 2020 at 09:16 PM.
Feb 02, 2020, 09:41 PM
RCG Admin
Thanks for the comments. Since this thread is about the site it belongs here or in site chat where others can respond. If you’d like to create a new thread about the issue specifically, the Drone advocacy forum section would be the best place to do that.
Feb 03, 2020, 09:54 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
The thread is not really about the site and I feel that a thread that is about what RCG is doing in this situation should not be lost in the Drone Advocacy forum.
Feb 03, 2020, 10:16 AM
RCG Admin
I'll move it to Site Chat, It's about what RCG is doing, not about drones so it belongs there as the best fit.
Feb 04, 2020, 12:22 PM
RCG Admin
Here's the article https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ssion-and-More
Feb 05, 2020, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Open Letter to RC Groups management: What is RCG doing about the FAA NPRM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Now that we are half way through the comment period for the upcoming FAA NPRM for the proposed FAA UAS regulations, I was hoping you would share with us what RCG is doing to respond to the NPRM.

Given the large negative effect that these proposed regulations will have on the hobby we love and by extension, to the thousands of enthusiasts that frequent RCG and all related RC businesses, I am certain that RCG is working on this. Can you share what you have done and are doing?

I personally have a number of hours invested in writing my personal response and have recruited a number of other people only slightly involved in the hobby to help respond, with the kind of comments that will support the hobby as we know it.

I feel that this thread should be in this forum, instead of the model aircraft and drone advocacy forum, due to the current situation.

(Mods: please make this a sticky so that the inevitable non-helpful gloom and doom and negative comments can be edited out. This thread is for helpful comments and ideas only)
Well, one thing they are doing is allowing the "Model Aircraft and Drone Advocacy" forum to function as a place to discuss rules and regulations, current and future, and their likely impact on our hobby, and how to advocate for changes to them, or against their enactment, etc. Instead of moving posts related to these topics to other forums. In the past some posts that were on-topic to a discussion of rules and regulations, but didn't strictly fit the "Model Aircraft and Drone Advocacy" forum description of " efforts to inform communities and lawmakers about the wonders and benefits of radio control model aircraft" were liable to be moved to other forums, which really interfered with efforts to discuss these topics. Examples: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-UAS-Symposium , https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ble-in-Class-G , https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...FAA-7711-1-COA , https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e#post43545105
Last edited by aeronaut999; Feb 05, 2020 at 09:58 AM.
Feb 05, 2020, 09:47 AM
RCG Admin
This thread isn't discussing NPRM. It's discussing RCG and what we are doing about NPRM so that's why it's in site chat. It's about the site. I posted a link to the article about the NPRM above.
Feb 05, 2020, 12:18 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Well, one thing they are doing is allowing the "Model Aircraft and Drone Advocacy" forum to function as a place to discuss rules and regulations, current and future, and their likely impact on our hobby, and how to advocate for changes to them, or against their enactment, etc. Instead of moving posts related to these topics to other forums. In the past some posts that were on-topic to a discussion of rules and regulations, but didn't strictly fit the "Model Aircraft and Drone Advocacy" forum description of " efforts to inform communities and lawmakers about the wonders and benefits of radio control model aircraft" were liable to be moved to other forums, which really interfered with efforts to discuss these topics. Examples: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-UAS-Symposium , https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ble-in-Class-G , https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...FAA-7711-1-COA , https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e#post43545105
Allowing a tucked away forum that many people never visit to discuss this looming issue is not actually doing anything proactive.

Every discussion area here on RC Groups involved with RC aircraft that weigh more than 9 oz needs the article recently posted by RCG as a sticky at the top of the first page. There are a stunning number of people that do not understand what is going on.

I and others feel that we are currently in a state of emergency concerning our hobby. It is time for RC focal points that attract huge numbers of RC flyers leaders like RC Groups and the hobby industry to get much more proactive.

RC Groups has the potential to rally far more pilots to respond to the NPRM than the AMA can generate. Despite that, here we are more than half way through the NPRM comment period before RCG takes even a small proactive stance.

I was glad to see the article, but I have to say, with all due respect, it did not seem like a lot of thought or effort went into it. It does not address a number of alarming issues in the NPRM and some of the effects on the entire RC aircraft industry that will be inevitable if the FAA rules go forth.

RCG needs to do more. I personally am working on this from several approaches.
Last edited by Thomas B; Feb 05, 2020 at 12:26 PM.
Feb 05, 2020, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Allowing a tucked away forum that many people never visit to discuss this looming issue is not actually doing anything proactive.

Every discussion area here on RC Groups involved with RC aircraft that weigh more than 9 oz needs the article recently posted by RCG as a sticky at the top of the first page. There are a stunning number of people that do not understand what is going on.

I and others feel that we are currently in a state of emergency concerning our hobby. It is time for RC focal points that attract huge numbers of RC flyers leaders like RC Groups and the hobby industry to get much more proactive.

RC Groups has the potential to rally far more pilots to respond to the NPRM than the AMA can generate. Despite that, here we are more than half way through the NPRM comment period before RCG takes even a small proactive stance.

I was glad to see the article, but I have to say, with all due respect, it did not seem like a lot of thought or effort went into it. It does not address a number of alarming issues in the NPRM and some of the effects on the entire RC aircraft industry that will be inevitable if the FAA rules go forth.

RCG needs to do more. I personally am working on this from several approaches.
Of course it is an emergency. Therefore why would you not visit a forum called "Model Aircraft and Drone Advocacy", which has long been the de facto forum for discussing rules and regulations, current and proposed?
Feb 05, 2020, 01:45 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Of course it is an emergency. Therefore why would you not visit a forum called "Model Aircraft and Drone Advocacy", which has long been the de facto forum for discussing rules and regulations, current and proposed?
I visit there regularly. A discussion thread I started there is now a sticky at the top of the page. That thread is also one of the three threads linked in the article.

However, given where the discussion area is located, it is viewed by a small percentage of visitors to RCG. Where it is located means that a lot of affected people will never bother to visit it.

It is past time for this subject to be limited to one forum area located far down the list of forums on the site.

As I said, it needs to be a sticky in every affected RC aircraft forum to gain maximum visibility. There are less than 30 days left to get comments to the FAA. The article does send people to the advocacy forum.

Note that the article was only published in Electric Plane talk. Folks that only visit Fuel Plane forums, Helicopter forums, Sailplane forums, etc are not being exposed to it.
Last edited by Thomas B; Feb 05, 2020 at 01:52 PM.
Feb 05, 2020, 01:58 PM
Quote:

Note that the article was only published in Electric Plane talk. Folks that only visit Fuel Plane forums, Helicopter forums, Sailplane forums, etc are not being exposed to it.
What article? I haven't noticed any article.

Steve
Feb 05, 2020, 02:18 PM
RCG Admin
Link in post 8 above

Quick Reply