Jan 30, 2020, 02:43 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Running light wires in an ARF...

Hi Folks;

Wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for running LED wires in an ARF...

I have a Twin Otter that I am working on and I want to add a red beacon to the top of the vertical stabilizer. The issue is the fin is covered/finished but its not installed in the plane yet so I have access to the unfinished bottom portion. The vertical stabilizer is a constant 5/8" thick (ply/balsa) and I need to run wires through it (about 14" long). It has some holes in it part way up so its not solid all the way.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks very appreciated!

Cheers;
Eric
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2020, 12:10 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
It looks like that is a solid piece of wood, with lightening holes cut in it. If that's the case I don't see you running wires through it, you'd have to drill from the tip to the root and that would compromise the structure too much. Running the wire in the edge of the hinges would likely cause binding. If you can get replacement covering, you could slit the leading edge, very lightly groove the wood underneath to carry the wire, and then patch over it.

Quick Reply