Mar 09, 2020, 08:20 PM
volare est vivere
Thread OP
Hi there from Toledo!

Hey Steve;

I just bought the transparent red and blue UC. So now I can finish up the wing covering and spoiler set up. So I figure the maiden could happen within a week, weather permitting. Aside from the mods to the servos due to tight spaces, the build was really straight forward. The wing build is typical Corky, easy peasy and it builds true with no major issues.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ciao, RJF.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2020, 11:18 AM
volare est vivere
Thread OP
Hi there from Toledo!

Sigh, that blasted corona virus has caused the Toledo Expo to be cancelled for this year, dagnabit! So much for the YJ conspiracy for this year, maybe next year.

Like most folks we are keeping a low profile during this pandemic, only venturing out when necessary and catching up/ bingeing on various tv series and movies and building projects for the summer, hopefully.

Keep safe, stay healthy, RJF.
Mar 14, 2020, 04:49 PM
Gee Ray, bad news. I know that's a big deal with you guys up there, and a lot of other folks around the country too. I know Tom Scully was planning on it.
I won't go into what I think about it all.
Just unfortunate & I hate it for you guys.
Go fly!
Mar 15, 2020, 06:53 PM
volare est vivere
Thread OP
Hi there from Toledo!

Hey, Crash!

Yeah it sucks about the Toledo Expo, so it goes.

Fortunately there is a sports dome nearby that we can use for indoor flying on Friday afternoons, all winter and early spring. So we can feed the need, when the weather is uncooperative, from October thru mid April usually. It helps a lot. Of course the occasional trip down South is also delightful and you meet the nicest folks.

Ciao, RJF.
Mar 23, 2020, 09:39 AM
volare est vivere
Thread OP
Hi there from Toledo!

The sheeting with the YJ logo, etc. was installed and sanded and the hole let in for the front mounting screw. The rear mounting screw was moved forward as previously discussed and interferes with the spoiler TE at the root. This required removal of a smallish semicircle from the spoiler a bit of fill balsa as well to make it all presentable. The rear root sheeting which usually is laser etched with name and AMA number will be plain balsa with the transparent red UC and my business card overlaid and laminated with clear packing tape. The card will have my name, e-mail, AMA number, and FAA number too.

I still need to sort out the spoiler and servo but that is easy enough. The maiden flight will be after the curfew / travel ban is lifted, if ever.

To quote the Muppets treasure Island, "We've got cabin fever...". RJF
Last edited by ray foley; Mar 23, 2020 at 10:46 AM.
Apr 04, 2020, 02:27 PM
volare est vivere
Thread OP
Hi there from Toledo!

Well the Toledo Expo originally scheduled for this weekend is sorely missed but I did finish the YJ2m on time for submission, if there had been a sailplane competition. So here is the final product of melding the YJ2m-GS wing and Vtail set with the CLM-Pro model 120e pod and boom.

It was quite an easy project all in all. The ready to fly weight is 524grams (18.48oz). Not as light as some purist sailplane versions but my impression is that it is a feather relatively speaking. The maiden will happen soon, God willing.

Thanks for being interested. Next time stop lurking and participate, you lurkers.

Ciao, rjf
Last edited by ray foley; Apr 08, 2020 at 07:35 PM.
Apr 04, 2020, 03:54 PM
Ray,

Nice work!

Jim V
Apr 04, 2020, 03:58 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Great job Ray, it’s a very nice looking model. The first one on 120 fuse. Looking forward to hearing about the maiden. I think it’s going to be capable in a wide range of conditions.

Thanks for taking it on and sharing
Apr 04, 2020, 06:47 PM
Lurker
Nice looking glider. Great attention to detail for the tail linkage. Love the look of the fuse. Can we get a pic of inside the fuse?

Last edited by KonstantKrash; Apr 04, 2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: cuz
Apr 06, 2020, 08:28 PM
volare est vivere
Thread OP
hi there from Toledo!

Hey Corky;

Great wing and Vstab kit and the 120e pod and boom were easy to equip. It was fun and quick to build.

Under The Hood

Some photos of the equipment installation as requested.

This is typical of my installations, industrial strength Velcro everywhere, on the bottom for the battery and the rcvr, on the side for the ESC.

Other Issues

Still waiting for folding props and then the maiden flight.

Probably will change single antenna 6 ch rcvr for dual antenna 6 ch rcvr.

Ciao, rjf.
Last edited by ray foley; Apr 08, 2020 at 07:39 PM.
Apr 08, 2020, 12:36 PM
Ray, been dealing with personal health issue and been away from this thread.
She's beautiful, like bringing a new baby home!
Looks like a baby 3m, that is the forward portion anyway. Some strange looking butterfly wing thingy's on it's rear-end though!

Can't wait for the first flight reports, good job!
Apr 10, 2020, 10:48 AM
volare est vivere
Thread OP
hi there from Toledo!

Hey, Crash;

My friend's daughter just got over a bout of covid19. After two weeks of quarantine, she has terminal cabin fever but is in fairly good spirits nonetheless.

We are keeping a very low profile at Foley Manor, only going out when we must. Lots of TV bingeing in the parlor and plenty of RC building in the dungeon/laboratory.

Ciao, RJF.
Apr 10, 2020, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley
hi there from Toledo!

Hey, Crash;

My friend's daughter just got over a bout of covid19. After two weeks of quarantine, she has terminal cabin fever but is in fairly good spirits nonetheless.

We are keeping a very low profile at Foley Manor, only going out when we must. Lots of TV bingeing in the parlor and plenty of RC building in the dungeon/laboratory.

Ciao, RJF.
No covid here but the cabin fever is certainly an issue for my teenager. Just hanging out, been fishing a bit. Need to get out and do some flying! Going to enter the postal f3j when it happens in a couple week. That is, hopefully back on my feet by then.
Apr 11, 2020, 06:39 PM
volare est vivere
Thread OP
Hi there fromToledo!

Well, the CAM folder 9x5 props arrived from Graves hobbies and are already installed in the YJ2m. I hooked up a 3s lipo and wattmeter to the ESC, 165 watts at 11.5 VDC and 14.8 AmpsDC, no rpm data. Oh my, this will be fun. With a 650 mah 3s tattu pack just behind the motor, the C/G comes in at 78 mm (3") behind the LE. Perfect!

All is in readiness, now as usual, the wind prevails.

Ciao, RJF.
Apr 12, 2020, 07:56 PM
been fishing a bit
This DA Governor we have here in Washington has closed all fishing DAHHHHH!!!
Cary

Quick Reply