Jan 29, 2020, 12:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Should AMA be partnering with Horizon?

I have been wondering why there is so much product placement and advertising and promotions between the AMA and companies in the business. Recently I read they are partnering with Horizon for introducing new pilot to flying models. In the past I thought AMA was like a governing body not a promoter. Seems like that is real favoritism and that bothers me. It's not bad enough that AMA membership is very expensive and they are spending money like crazy on all kinds of things but partnering with companies???? Maybe other companies should get promotions???? Looking at their magazine makes me wonder where model airplanes are headed. My other idea is they don't need to be involved with drones, quads, or some of that other crud. I am surprised they aren't into r/c cars.

Anyway what do you think? ...and if this is out of place please relocate.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2020, 12:21 PM
A man with a plan
I haven't seen their magazine in at least 15 years. Does it have paid advertising from Horizon now?
Jan 29, 2020, 12:53 PM
I hate drones, arfs, rtfs, electrics, foamies, and anything that wasn't available 25 years ago (except computer radios). However; if what the AMA is doing is increasing membership, it's a good idea as it may help to give them more leverage against the FAA and their new rules.

carl
Jan 29, 2020, 01:17 PM
A man with a plan
Boosting AMA's numbers by adding drones will have the exact opposite result. It will make us all more susceptible to being regulated to death.

AMA decided that rather than simply representing a modest group of relatively nonthreatening hobbyists, they would prefer to collect dues from a much larger group that prefers autonomous flight in populated areas and other sensitive terrain. These are two very different hobbies, and the only reason AMA decided to make us all one big happy family is for the membership dues. Everything that drone fliers do attracts attention from regulators, and I would very much prefer that the difference between my hobby and their hobby be made clear to the government and the public. But AMA is basically saying "We're all the same, so regulate all of us, please!" They might as well include the piano movers union and the stamp collectors to boost revenue, because it makes just about as much sense as including self-flying drones.

I don't hate drones. They have their hobby and I have mine. I prefer that my hobby be judged on its own merits, without anybody thinking that I have anything to do with drones.
Jan 29, 2020, 01:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench View Post
I haven't seen their magazine in at least 15 years. Does it have paid advertising from Horizon now?
I find it odd that you don't read the AMA magazine. It's free with membership.
Anyway here is an example of what they are doing. https://www.youtube.com/user/modelaircraft Look at the articles they do. It is almost all promotion.
Jan 29, 2020, 01:37 PM
A man with a plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPilotFL View Post
I find it odd that you don't read the AMA magazine. It's free with membership.
I haven't seen the magazine because I'm not a member. I'm not a big fan of AMA. All I've seen in the last 30 years is self promotion. Whenever an organization is formed, before too long its sole purpose is to continue its own existence.

One of my favorite examples is the insurance campaign that they operated about 15 years ago. At the time AMA provided 1 million dollar liability coverage for members. Those of us who used the field at the county park in suburban Kansas City at the time were required to have 1 million dollar liability insurance, and then we could buy a county flying permit for about ten bucks. A lot of us had a homeowner's insurance clause protecting us from liability due to icy steps and other home hazards, as well as model aircraft. I don't know who put that in there, but it was a standard clause for many years. So you could be an AMA member, an insured home owner, or both, and it was good enough for a county flying permit. When AMA found out how many of us were not paying them, they sent representatives to convince the county that they should require 2 million, which was the new level offered by AMA, presumably for this very purpose. The next year I took my homeowner's policy to the permit office, and they told me I had to be an AMA member. If AMA were simply concerned about safety, liability, education, and fun, they would have been happy to let the Jackson County Parks Department maintain the status quo, and let us fly with a different insurer. But they are obviously not happy unless their hand is in my pocket.

Ever since I started RC in 1986 the only thing I've seen them do is attempt to increase their revenue. I understand that they were a big part of the lobbying effort to secure the 72 mhz band for exclusive use by model airplane pilots, and I appreciate that. (Funny how everybody has abandoned 72 mhz in favor of the wild west, no-man's-land 2.4 ghz garbage frequency, and AMA doesn't say anything about it. Use it or lose it.) But I haven't seen them do anything since then that was any good for a line of sight model airplane pilot who wants to have fun and be safe.

There are folks who are loyal to AMA, and I understand that. I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I just don't think AMA has much to offer any more. And now they're deliberately throwing us into the same boat with high profile, highly regulatable hobbyists, a boat which is clearly sinking. I don't want to be in that boat.
Jan 29, 2020, 01:44 PM
A man with a plan
Regarding the creation of partnerships with large industry dominating companies, that's par for the course for an old-line organization. The big players in any field tend to set things up to make themselves comfortable.
Jan 29, 2020, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench View Post
Regarding the creation of partnerships with large industry dominating companies, that's par for the course for an old-line organization. The big players in any field tend to set things up to make themselves comfortable.
I am glad you took the time to chime in. We seem to agree on a lot.
Jan 29, 2020, 03:52 PM
Unless AMA is turning away advertising dollars from so called competitors I don’t see a problem. It is a mutually beneficial partnership. I’ve been an AMA member for over 30 years and I have spent thousands with horizon or horizon products.
Last edited by koppterX; Jan 29, 2020 at 04:45 PM.
Jan 29, 2020, 04:32 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
The AMA mag has been nothing more than a tool to get advertising in front of us for many many years,, why they bother to even have a blurred line between the build or review article and an actual ad IDK,,

Seems to me this mag exists to employ people who work on the magazine, nothing more. What bothers me me most is the way they justify force feeding us this book of ads under the guise of it being a required newsletter, paa leeeze,,, the 10 pages of the newsletter could be emailed for a fraction of the cost to us members,,

I haven't bothered to read this rag in over 10 years
Jan 29, 2020, 04:53 PM
My AMA renewal is in March. They sent me an email reminding me that it was time to renew. I emailed them back and stated that I didn’t see a reason to belong, when the flying field near me does not require AMA membership. I have a 3 million blanket liability policy, so what am I getting from them? They replied about their insurance coverage, events I could attend in North Dakota and South Dakota....blah, blah, blah. The magazine is definitely not worth $75, so I haven’t decided if I will pay up or not.
Jan 30, 2020, 12:16 AM
I don’t understand how an annual membership that is less than seven bucks a month be considered expensive.
Jan 30, 2020, 07:39 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX View Post
I donít understand how an annual membership that is less than seven bucks a month be considered expensive.
Expensive? No,

A perceived value? also No
Jan 30, 2020, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
Yes I think the $75 membership fee is a little expensive when you consider what you get, insurance and the Model Aviation magazine. They used to send you a paper rule book if you asked. I noticed that the magazine is going to limit the ads for contests in the back. Seems the descriptions of the events were getting too big. In the future they say they are just gong to list the event the date and a link or something. ... yet there are pages of names of people that have donated to AMA. Next I suppose they are going to start taking used car donations and asking for people to leave their estates to the AMA. Kinda like the NRA does. Donate to help us fight the bla, bla, bla. Expect phone calls and emails asking for money in the future. Politics is expensive.
Jan 30, 2020, 03:09 PM
A man with a plan
Gee, it's almost as if collecting money is their primary purpose.

Quick Reply