Jan 29, 2020, 10:52 AM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
Thread OP
Build Log

Balsa USA 1/3 scale Fokker D.VII

I finished my 1/3 scale Balsa USA DR.I last year, so I started my new project in December....1/3 scale D.VII. I really enjoy building the WWI airplanes that Balsa USA offers. I like how they build, and they fly terrific. I'm not doing a full build, but I figured I would post some pics along the way that might prove to be helpful. Just like the DR.I, the D.VII isn't hard to build but does have a fair amount of work involved.

First up the wings. The top wing has more work than any other component. It's a three piece wing, the center section has the visibility cut out, and the outer panels have the ailerons. Again, nothing hard and the instructions/plans guide you through. I use CA to tack everything in place and go back over the joints with Titebond. I also use Titebond to glue on the leading edge sheeting.

Normally I use the big Dubro blade hinges for the ailerons. This time around I used hinge points, and I like how they turned out. Still a little tricky getting the angles right, but next time around it will be easier since I learned a few things.
Last edited by J Bergsmith; Sep 21, 2020 at 12:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2020, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
After about five weeks you end up with a big stack of wings. At this point the total weight of the wings is roughly 6.5lbs. I also like to have everything about 90% sanded at this point before I move on. Going back on any large airplane having to do a lot of sanding can be a huge turn off.

So sit back, pop open your favorite beverage, admire your work, and then get to work on the tail feathers!
Jan 30, 2020, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Horizontal stab construction has started.
Jan 31, 2020, 06:15 PM
the smell of nitro in the morn
Oh boy started my 1/4 scale D7 beginning of Dec now getting to the finish stuff and its slow going. Nice to watch your build!
Jan 31, 2020, 06:16 PM
Wings look very good.
Feb 01, 2020, 01:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt123
Oh boy started my 1/4 scale D7 beginning of Dec now getting to the finish stuff and its slow going. Nice to watch your build!
Yeah the finish work can take some time, worth it in the end though. Thanks Matt.
Feb 01, 2020, 09:10 AM
Tomorrow I'll procrastinate
Subscribed. Looks very nice so far. A bit too big for my wallet and house but looking forward to seeing what you do because a 1/6th scale is on my wish list.
Feb 02, 2020, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman59
Subscribed. Looks very nice so far. A bit too big for my wallet and house but looking forward to seeing what you do because a 1/6th scale is on my wish list.
Thanks! I haven’t seen a 1/6th scale, but I’m sure it flies good!
Feb 03, 2020, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
Horizontal stab is built and sanded. The only change made was to add some plywood plates so the stab will be removable.

The first elevator lamination is drying, I used (5) 1/8 x 3/8 balsa. This is differs from the kit, but I’ve always found the laminations to be stronger and much easier to shape.
Feb 07, 2020, 11:47 PM
Thread OP
Elevators are all built, so I’m working on the rudder lamination now.
Feb 08, 2020, 12:42 AM
very interesting build, a couple of question though. 1) I found that just running glue along the outside edge of a joint on my own projects for various reasons, hasn't really been very good for holding things together. I've read of others doing like you, tacking with ca then running glue outside the joint, but not sure what they/you are doing to make things better than I've had. 2) I like the idea of making the laminations (proven in large buildings), do you have to soak the strips in water to bend them or anything first?
Feb 08, 2020, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
HeliFlyer14,

1) Sort of a funny story. My dad never really liked CA so he would use very little of it. This was back in the late 70’s. He thought the joints were brittle so he would always go back over the joints with wood glue. I used mostly CA and would always give him a hard time about using old wood glue. However, I started to notice when I was final sanding and handling the various parts I was constantly cracking joints and having to re-glue. My dad never had that problem. So when I got more serious about becoming a good builder I did some tests and found his way was better. Wood glue overall just makes a stronger joint.

1B) I use a 5ml syringe with a 18g needle. I store it in a cup of water that keeps the needle from being clogged. I don’t so much worry about creating a glue fillet, more just force the glue into the joint as much as possible. Some times I do create a small fillet on both sides of the joint depending on the structure.

1C) I use strictly wood glue to glue leading edge or center section sheeting, cap strips, etc... Using wood glue is slower, but it allows me to work at the pace I’m comfortable with. I can frame up a 1/3 scale airplane in a few months, so it’s not too bad. It’s cheaper that’s for sure.

2) As you stated, lamination is very strong and I use them a lot. Much better than separate pieces being used to create the curve. Yes, I soak the wood for at least 24 hours. I have a pvc tube I use for soak.
Feb 08, 2020, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
1B) I use a 5ml syringe with a 18g needle. I store it in a cup of water that keeps the needle from being clogged. I don’t so much worry about creating a glue fillet, more just force the glue into the joint as much as possible. Some times I do create a small fillet on both sides of the joint depending on the structure.
ahhh, see I was missing something, you filling the joint afterwards with the needle, versus just a fillet on the outside. I'll just stick with the wood glue, but I did finally use ca a couple of places on my Cessna build for some nonconsequential piece here or there when I needed a quick hold of a part.

I'm looking forwards to your build, looks like a really cool airplane.
Feb 19, 2020, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
With the tail feathers complete, the next thing comes the fuse. Just an over sized free flight construction. The most important thing is getting two fuselage sides that are exactly the same. Achieving this makes everything much easier down the road in terms of alignment. I build one fuse side, and build the other side right on top of the first.

Building a straight fuse is nothing more than having it jigged until all structure that can possibly be added is installed and glued before removing it from the jigs/board. Very important to have a straight fuse since everything is aligned to it, especially a biplane.
Feb 19, 2020, 05:13 PM
Love your use of 123 blocks and you have a lot of them! I'm doing everything I can think of to put off covering my Dvll wings. I bought lozenge polyester and plan to Sig Stix-it, then I am lost. What's your covering plan ?

Quick Reply