Feb 20, 2020, 09:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt123
Love your use of 123 blocks and you have a lot of them! I'm doing everything I can think of to put off covering my Dvll wings. I bought lozenge polyester and plan to Sig Stix-it, then I am lost. What's your covering plan ?
I'm going to use Oratex to cover the D.VII. I used it on my DR.I last year and it worked great. The color schemes I'm looking at doing only have the lozenge on the bottom, so I will paint them by hand or spray using templates.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2020, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
Up on it's feet for the first time. This is a huge fuselage!
Feb 25, 2020, 08:33 PM
the smell of nitro in the morn
Wow that's big! I thought 1/4 was bidbthen I went to Rienbeck and saw 1/3 next to 1/4 . The 1/4 got small fast.
Feb 26, 2020, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt123
Wow that's big! I thought 1/4 was bidbthen I went to Rienbeck and saw 1/3 next to 1/4 . The 1/4 got small fast.
It really is a big airplane, the fuse towers over me and I'm 6'2". The fuse really makes my 1/3 scale DR.I look small.
Feb 26, 2020, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Working on the landing gear. This requires some silver soldering to construct the shock absorbing landing gear that works really well as designed. Just when you think you're done building wings, you have another one between the wheels. Again, very easy construction that builds fast. Once fitted to the landing gear, the wing will be glassed. These landing gear wings can take a beating over time and glassing really helps them survive. In addition, it gives you a good surface to paint.
Feb 26, 2020, 09:23 PM
the smell of nitro in the morn
Looking great ! I put mine on the bench and find myself on my tippytoes trying to look into cock pit. But just mentioned to my wife I built three scratch planes last year in the time it's taking to get 75% through the 1/4 D7. Thinking of best year already.
Feb 28, 2020, 03:33 PM
Next purchase: a trailer large enough to haul it to the field. LOL
Feb 28, 2020, 04:34 PM
N = R* ◊ fp ◊ ne ◊ fl ◊ fi ◊ f
The trailer to carry it to a flying site comes AFTER he works out HOW to get it into the shed.......Bugger the big trailer, he needs a bigger house first.....
1/3rd scale PBY anyone ??? It's ONLY a 36 foot span....easy to store anywhere......

Feb 28, 2020, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
Next purchase: a trailer large enough to haul it to the field. LOL
Luckily I have a nice trailer, itís a large airplane no doubt!
Feb 29, 2020, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
The main landing gear sub wing is ready to be fiberglassed. Next step for the landing gear is to add the strut fairings. The Balsa USA 1/3 scale Fokker D.VII is moving right along.
Mar 03, 2020, 12:35 AM
Thread OP
Up next, the top turtle decks. The fuselage will really start to look like something once these are installed.
Mar 03, 2020, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
Rear Stringers
Mar 04, 2020, 01:06 AM
Thread OP
Top sheeting complete. As with any sheeting it required a lot of patience to get everything fitting right. Up next is building the cowl.
Mar 04, 2020, 02:38 PM
N = R* ◊ fp ◊ ne ◊ fl ◊ fi ◊ f
Seeing as this is a BUSA kit, there is NO POINT saying anything about the quality of the kit, but I will say the quality of the builder is showing quite well.....
I have seen thousands of bare bones WW1 birds in my time, but FEW have had such a clean look. MOST have epoxied skin deposits, CA fingerprints COMPLETE with skin still attached, added bits where bits were cut wrong, and just various stuck on bits here and there. gaps are usually filled with offcuts, or WORSE yet, body bog(bondo type).This is a thing of beauty so far, I cannot for the life of me even find any excess glue squeeze outs.......
VERY NICE BUILDING !!!!

I DONT envy you in the idea of hand painting the 5 colour lozenge, getting that damn overlap bleed on the rose and blue is almost imposssible. I have seen it done, but the guy I knew took 8 months JUST TO PAINT his DVIII fuselage. It looked "shmick as" when he finished, but even he said NEVER AGAIN......looks amazing, but the work involved even scares Chinese railroad workers.........

Have a look at these for some idea's that MIGHT help, option to paint or purchase.
https://www.modelairplanenews.com/ho...enge-covering/
https://arizonamodels.com/products/4...ouflage-fabric
Last edited by Azoic; Mar 04, 2020 at 08:29 PM.
Mar 06, 2020, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliment/info Azoic, it will definitely be helpful!

Quick Reply