This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 28, 2020, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

OMPHobby T720

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...OMP-Hobby-T720 = Previous Post in regards to ..

OMP Hobby T720 Maiden .. ( The following is the expressed opinion of the current owner of this plane )

It does fly and fly well ( Stabilised Mode ) . I was actually able to really slow the T720 down a lot . It flies very slowly . This is good as it is still very stable and leaves the operator with plenty of thinking time . The T720 is a little rearward CG orientated making it sensitive to the elevator , even in the stabilised mode . The little 300mAh 2s batteries really do the job , and after 6 minutes of flying the battery power meter reported 58% remaining ( When I got home ) .

Transmitter

It is a DINKY toy transmitter . What makes it look half way decent is the stability mode built into the Rx flight board . Turn off the stability mode and you will instantly discover two things . The rearward CG and just how bad this toy Transmitter is . The T720 deserves the ability to be bound to a hobby grade transmitter . Seriously , the stability control built into the plane itself makes the Tx look decent when in stability mode . I would rate the Tx Rubbish for what it is ..

T720 ( The plane boss - the plane )

Stabilised mode ................

Really like the plane itself . It ticks all the boxes except for one . The CG is too rearward . Find a larger battery ( heavier ) that fits , like maybe a zippy 350 ?
Factory 300 = 16.9 grams / Zippy 350 = 21.7 grams .. And the Zippy fits in the nose just fine , The plug in wings gave no problems nor did the plug in elevators . In fact the T720 lands itself , just point it where you want it to land and cut the throttle . It's the nicest most gentle landing you are likely to experience simply by letting the T720 land itself .

Stability off ............. ( The other mode )

Now is when you notice just how far back the CG is , without the stability function the T720 is all over the place . None off which is helped by the rubbish transmitter . It did not help that I was trying to fly slowly which only would have compounded the issue . With stability mode off , the T720 is only as good as the transmitter .

Batteries ...

Flying @ lower power settings I got 6 minutes of flight time with a 58% charge remaining ( after walking home and checking with the power meter battery checker ) . You get plenty of flight time , but I dare say the batteries are too small for another reason . CG
The T720 really wants a larger heavier battery to move that CG forward . Next time I play with the T720 it will be with a Zippy 350 in the nose .

Conclusion

I dont know that the OMP Hobby T720 is that good a beginners plane . Especially if going Solo . If an experienced model flyer introduced some one to the T720 and set it up for them and put it into the air for them . Then I could see the T720 working . There are these little things to watch out for . Like the T720 hunts the ground on launch , something an experienced model flyer would be watching for . Also any unexpected assembly issues . ( Yes its possible )
The first time I put the elevators on and powered the model , I had perpetual up elevator ? .. Fix was to just unplug and plug them in again .. ( Stuff happens ) .

I really like the T720 ( The plane ) and I really hate the toy transmitter . In stability mode it works , though that CG needs to be worked on .
Score ?
I give the plane itself 9 out of 10 ..
The transmitter gets nothing .. If I could bind to a hobby grade transmitter the Factory Tx would go into the rubbish bin .

OMPHobby T720 maiden (2 min 26 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2020, 08:10 AM
As posted elsewhere plug in a satellite receiver to the S-bus or DSM ports on the receiver and fly with your multi or other suitable Tx. The Add-on receiver for the Eachine E119 helicopter from Banggood costs about 13 Oz Dollars landed and gives about 300meters range with the X6 XK K110 heli Tx. Dual rates switch = stabilized/manual switch. Plenty of other options for any good Tx. Subbed & dinged your Youtube channel.
The 500mah battery from the XK X420 V-tol works well (needs a bit of foam surgery.) Pull the ball bearing from the canopy if you think it's a bit too much.
Feb 02, 2020, 05:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztreecrasher
As posted elsewhere plug in a satellite receiver to the S-bus or DSM ports on the receiver and fly with your multi or other suitable Tx. The Add-on receiver for the Eachine E119 helicopter from Banggood costs about 13 Oz Dollars landed and gives about 300meters range with the X6 XK K110 heli Tx. Dual rates switch = stabilized/manual switch. Plenty of other options for any good Tx. Subbed & dinged your Youtube channel.
The 500mah battery from the XK X420 V-tol works well (needs a bit of foam surgery.) Pull the ball bearing from the canopy if you think it's a bit too much.
OMP S720 allows that ..

The Rx in this one is buried deep in the fuse and does not look the same as the one in the S720 ... ( Not that I can see it that well )
Hmmmm , I have seen the VID on the S720 where you can plug in a optional Rx ..

I have not seen anything to date on the T720
Feb 02, 2020, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
OMP S720 allows that ..

The Rx in this one is buried deep in the fuse and does not look the same as the one in the S720 ... ( Not that I can see it that well )
Hmmmm , I have seen the VID on the S720 where you can plug in a optional Rx ..

I have not seen anything to date on the T720
Exact same receiver/Tx combo. Just need to dig out a bit of foam & use something like bent tweezers/forceps etc to seat the plug. If you use the larger 500mah XK X420 battery here you'll already have removed about enough.
Feb 02, 2020, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztreecrasher
Exact same receiver/Tx combo. Just need to dig out a bit of foam & use something like bent tweezers/forceps etc to seat the plug. If you use the larger 500mah XK X420 battery here you'll already have removed about enough.
Looks like I will have to order a Rx ...
I ordered the new ( yellow ) Zippy 350 for this one .
Feb 02, 2020, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...x#post43738949

Found some small Rx's , one was a DSM2/x satellite Rx

Quick Reply