Apr 09, 2020, 09:34 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Just my thoughts Paul. Not facts till you prove it so!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2020, 10:32 AM
Barnwell, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk20
Thank you Tony

So I have one concern with the Duster, it's coming out a bit heavier than expected. About 24 oz dry weight. Not sure if the Gmark .061 will suffice. I have no experience with it, it's the first time I will use it to fly anything. My understanding is that it has same power as a Cox .049 It will spin a 6x3 prop around 14k

What do you guys think? Will it fly it ok? I'm not looking for anything crazy, a scale flight will do
Back around 1990 or 91 I had a friend built an Ace Whizard with aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle control powered by a G-Mark .061 with the muffler. It was film covered and sprayed with an automotive clear coat. I don't know what it weighed but with the radio and battery equipment of the time it couldn't have been a featherweight. It was fully aerobatic on that engine. Your finished Duster looks great!
Apr 09, 2020, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfenn
Back around 1990 or 91 I had a friend built an Ace Whizard with aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle control powered by a G-Mark .061 with the muffler. It was film covered and sprayed with an automotive clear coat. I don't know what it weighed but with the radio and battery equipment of the time it couldn't have been a featherweight. It was fully aerobatic on that engine. Your finished Duster looks great!
Fantastic! Thanks
Apr 09, 2020, 11:15 AM
Pro Hoarder
That looks great!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 09, 2020, 12:54 PM
Size Matters!
I love the graphics - Great build!
Apr 11, 2020, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliments guys!

She's all done!!

23 oz dry weight. Balances perfectly with the 700 mah battery against the firewall.

Our flying field is closed along with all the parks, so will have to wait for maiden until the restrictions are lifted.

I'm happy how it came out. Hopefully it will fly well

Maybe tomorrow I'll fire up the G-mark and make a short YouTube clip.

Paul.
Apr 11, 2020, 05:07 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Looks like it's ready to spray some crops or pull a glider up in the sky!
Apr 11, 2020, 08:36 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Paul,

Outstanding work on the Duster! I hope you'll get a video or two of her flying to share with us.

Good luck,
Tony
Apr 15, 2020, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
I fired up the little G-mark today, 10% nitro with a little extra castor oil added. She fired right up and ran very well for a small engine. She's a bit messy since the muffler doesn't seal well but I expected that. Now I just wait until the field opens.

G-mark .061 Fred Reese Simple Duster (0 min 52 sec)
Apr 15, 2020, 06:04 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
It's going to be faster than you think...... Wish I was with ya for the maiden!
Jul 09, 2020, 03:53 PM
Thread OP
Maiden is behind me! Well, somewhat

So I still can't legally fly in my club here in NYC I found a large area suitable to give it a shot.

Good news is I landed it in one piece, bad news I didn't get the full flight on film. I panicked and for some reason I yelled to my son to stop filming

There were three reasons for the poor flight.

The engine was a couple of clicks too rich, ailerons had too much throw, and the elevator was not centered. The last part is my fault for not checking it. The plane was nose diving when I let go the stick. I have corrected the issues now.

I am looking forward to my next day out, I know it will fly a lot better.

Again, sorry for the poor video, maiden 2.0 should go a lot better

Paul.

Fred Reese Simple Duster maiden. Cut short :( (0 min 33 sec)
Jul 09, 2020, 04:10 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Congrats Paul! Love it!
Jul 09, 2020, 04:20 PM
Size Matters!
She looks a little pitch sensitive - great job getting her back - time to change your undies!
Jul 09, 2020, 04:26 PM
Pro Hoarder
Very cool..even with the control trouble it looks like it flies great...
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jul 09, 2020, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply