Mar 31, 2005, 05:08 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Hey guys... welcome to the new list peoples, and a "thanks for your patience" for the people who I said the plan would be ready on Sunday. I added a few diagrams to the bottom of the plan to help with the build if the plan was ever separated from the instructions document (these things do happen), one could still get through a build without digging a hole. Here's a thumbnail of the plan...

...and don't bother trying to directory browse for the actual CAD file, it aint there!

Nick and I will be hashing out the printing details tomorrow morn, so there should be a nice pile of paper gathering all over his floor by the afternoon
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2005, 12:14 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensrc
In my best "Carl" voice:
Ah-ite din!

Len
Does this come wid biskits or dem french fried potaters?
Mar 31, 2005, 12:45 PM
KM, when you sort out mailing costs, can you also quote for multiple copies, say 2 and 3? I found some more interest over here with my flying buddies.
Thanks,
Max.
Mar 31, 2005, 04:20 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Well... I would have been in contact with Nick if RCGroups didn't fall over in a screaming mess (all his contact details were still just in PM's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max z
KM, when you sort out mailing costs, can you also quote for multiple copies, say 2 and 3? I found some more interest over here with my flying buddies.
Thanks,
Max.
Sure thing. I need to figure out a bulk-ish order price. There's a clan in the UK that wants to get a bundle. Will probably be something like... "first two at full price, then a discount on the rest".
Mar 31, 2005, 04:35 PM
Callsign: CornDog
You've done a real nice job on the plans!! Can't wait to veiw them in person.

I do have a question, and please don't take this the wrong way. Way back in another thread, you indicated you weren't out to make money, just to get this fantistic bird into people hands. At that time, you indicated the price would be the cost to print plus shipping. Have you changed your thinking (or did I never understand it in the first place)? I only ask because of the water marks on the pic above and the comment about the CAD files not being on your site.

I do think this bird is worth purchasing, and I do intend on purchasing the plans!! They are a bargain!

Just curious!
Mar 31, 2005, 05:08 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkLover
You've done a real nice job on the plans!! Can't wait to veiw them in person.

I do have a question, and please don't take this the wrong way. Way back in another thread, you indicated you weren't out to make money, just to get this fantistic bird into people hands. At that time, you indicated the price would be the cost to print plus shipping. Have you changed your thinking (or did I never understand it in the first place)? I only ask because of the water marks on the pic above and the comment about the CAD files not being on your site.

I do think this bird is worth purchasing, and I do intend on purchasing the plans!! They are a bargain!

Just curious!
...I remembered saying something about 10 clams, and you made me start thinking... so I went back to the thread for some digging. Here's the two quotes I can find about the cost of the plans...

There's a fee for printing, so they can't be free. At least enough to cover printing charges, mental anguish and such like ...had a flirtatious thought to sell them like shareware... "it's not free, but you pay what you feel the product's merit is worth" kind of deal.

...and...

I've seen people around here charge $15 for plans, but I don't think it'll be that steep. $10 or under. I still have to schedule that particular meeting with the other voices in my head.

...the first quote, I think I was having a hippie moment
...the second one is what I remember saying, so that's what I've stuck to.

I stayed with the 10 clams... and how can I still sleep at night?...
1) dang this thing has taken some effort!
2) and say you had a friend that had a full size plan, or you had the computer file even... you couldn't get the plan photocopied, or the plan printed at the local Kinko's for the 10 smackers I'm asking.

...now if you had the CAD file, then you could take it to Nick, but then again, I'm not giving up the CAD file ...and I've seen "plans" for profile foam planes sold for 15 on these forums... so I'm sleeping pretty soundly with my choice.

I'm also funnelling it all into the next plan projects too. The twin warbird and a pattern ship. I need to get the proty's a power setup. There always the future too. Early adopters always end up paying the premium, and in this case, I don't think it's all that huge a premium
Mar 31, 2005, 05:20 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
...and the watermark was just me trying to be funny. Here's a non watermarked thumbnail...

...I'm not giving up the CAD file 'cause I've put in a bunch of effort to make it every bit an informative builder's plan. The freebie would have been given out a long time ago that would have been little more than three views. Which would have been fine for some builders, but I didn't want anyone that really wanted one to be really lacking the building info.
Mar 31, 2005, 05:33 PM
theKM,

I knew you would be good for a well thought out reply. Like I said, $10.00 plus shipping is a deal! You could charge more ... and get it!

I thank you for tricking* me into reading your first thread regarding your challenge, so that I could find out about this little gem!

* - I don't pretent to know your purpose for starting the "challenge" thread. The use of the word "tricking" may not have been your orriginal intent, but offering a free ESC and motor made me look!!
Mar 31, 2005, 05:37 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Plus these are color prints, that's a higher cost as well. I don't think KM will be buying a Porsche from the proceeds of this Maybe a Yugo
Mar 31, 2005, 05:39 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
BTW, the drawing looks fab! I like the thumbnails along the bottom showing the construction sequence, very nice touch!

Oh, and the motor and prop parts have all been shipped, so hopefully next week some time I'll be running tests
Mar 31, 2005, 05:44 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkLover
theKM,

I knew you would be good for a well thought out reply. Like I said, $10.00 plus shipping is a deal! You could charge more ... and get it!
I'm glad it more or less has your approval

Quote:
I thank you for tricking* me into reading your first thread regarding your challenge, so that I could find out about this little gem!

* - I don't pretent to know your purpose for starting the "challenge" thread. The use of the word "tricking" may not have been your original intent, but offering a free ESC and motor made me look!!
...I was quite genuinely curious if there was a real challenger out there, and how unique I could regard the Twinkle's abilities as a parkie and a pond flyer. It all started because someone in the waterplanes forum wanted an "exotic" water plane, and I started on about the Twinkle. I'm thinking about keeping such a challenge on my site when I get the Twinkle page made.
Mar 31, 2005, 05:50 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
Plus these are color prints, that's a higher cost as well. I don't think KM will be buying a Porsche from the proceeds of this Maybe a Yugo
and I'll display my Yugo proudly!!!

...should get some paint and maybe a token after market part for my bike though
My favorite bike mod so far was one of these for a few dollars...
http://www.fscentral.com/rebeflke.html
Mar 31, 2005, 08:16 PM
Just Keeping UP

Printing

Sorry that I've been a little out of touch for a day. My normal desktop computer has died and rolled over TU. It was at least running the POST until I replaced some hardware and now only the fans run and the HD's spin up. I think this time I may have to pay for some help.

However, all is not lost. I have my wife's laptop to use. I'll have to find the printer driver from the web again, but I did it once, so I can do it again.

I'll post here when I'm able to start printing. I have lots of paper, so order up!

As for as the cost goes, look in a magazine and see what they charge for a plan. Typically, they go for at least $12, and that's folded. Postage is extra.

I've paid $10 for a pdf copy of plans and still felt it's a good deal. If you want free plans, check out Dave Blum's designs.

Nick
Mar 31, 2005, 09:10 PM
Woh, I was not complaining or asking for free plans. Simply wondering if there was a change of heart. Like I said, I'd pay more for these plans.
Mar 31, 2005, 10:00 PM
Just Keeping UP

Up & Printing!

OK. I'm up and printing!

I have seen the plan and quite a plan it is! You're getting your money's worth with this one!

Nick

Quick Reply