Apr 04, 2005, 03:51 PM
U.City Flyer
I too would be more interested in starting on this now if there was a laser cut kit. Life is all about time management, and while I already devote too much time to this hobby, if I can use my time to yield more flyable planes, I'm all for it.

Barry
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2005, 03:56 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmizes
I too would be more interested in starting on this now if there was a laser cut kit. Life is all about time management, and while I already devote too much time to this hobby, if I can use my time to yield more flyable planes, I'm all for it.

Barry
Such things are definitely on the horizon, so look out for such an announcement then... but it's just not for a few months.
Apr 04, 2005, 04:03 PM
Chillin till SEFF
That'll give us all some time to bash and beta the crap out of it so we end up with a Super Twinkle, Ultra Twinkle and Twinkle 3D.
Apr 04, 2005, 04:07 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Don't forget the one I build called the Wannabe Twinkle! Looks sort of like one, flys sort of like one, but doesn't float like one....

Apr 04, 2005, 04:34 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
LOL.

...I'd love to see a twinkle with a profile fuse! (ShockTwinkle!?)

The Sinkle?

...free plan (just have to pay for postage) to the first person willing to cover the fuselage in silver SoLite, and puts a little "Titanic" written on the side of the nose.
(they must also agree to send in photos when it's complete)

...my wife took great delight that whenever I dinged the nose on the first proty, or the one incident with the second... she'd call it the "Wrinkle"
Apr 04, 2005, 04:37 PM
I'd do that ... but you'd probably want someone who is a decent builder if you're looking for pictures!
Apr 04, 2005, 04:40 PM
DM, here's your chance to go cheap!
Apr 04, 2005, 05:03 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"

Well........

I think I handle the IPS part (I can't afford a brushless ESC ) But,.. if you use a larger prop... won't You need a higher thust line as well? will that effect performance? I was planning on cutting down a GWS 3-blade (if I absolutely had to) The IPS will turn a 3-blade.. get's a bit warm,.. but I'm planning on adding a heat sink. How much clearence do you have before the prop hits the deck? Bob
Apr 04, 2005, 05:09 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"

How About Silver LiteFilm?

I have a roll of Nelson Litefilm silver.. and with My skills... I MAY be the Titanic I Believe Litfilm is the same as Solite Bob
(Maybe I'll be building the "flying sub" SOONER than I think! )
Apr 04, 2005, 05:40 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
==But,.. if you use a larger prop... won't You need a higher thust line as well?==

I don't think there is clearance for a larger prop unless you extend the boom up. The 6.5" Varioprop looks to be a tight fit.
Apr 04, 2005, 08:30 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"

Yup.........

That was My thinking. I can cut the 3-blade down.. It will make the geared IPS happier as well.....probably run cooler. How much room is it from centerline to the deck? I can "snip" it down to just fit, ans see what it runs like. Bob
Apr 04, 2005, 09:15 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"

Well.....

Here's the result:
Photo 1: is a shot static, showing how much I had to remove to put it to 6.5" dia... Kinda looks like the cute funky 3-blades I run on My Cox 020's..

Photo 2: is running flat-out.. "almost-balanced" You cant tell it's even spinning, the flash stopped it. The IPS was extremely happy about it.. didn't even get warm. Still pulls, but not like it did full-size "Oh-well"

Photo 3: I really like this one, with a spinner on it, I think it looks better than a Vario-prop. It's available through Hobby Lobby, and is used for the HB (I think.. it's initials anyway)4 to1 280 geared set-up they have. has interchangeable blades. You can cut & shape thes down easilly. I use them full-size with a Mini Oylmpus gear drive & 400 Mabuchi's for like 50" Easy-Built P-40's, Hurricains, Spits, & such. After about 4 mins, it will get a 400 size Mabuchi pretty hot, but puts out like a 049 04 060 glow.. and at like 3 bucks,.. I'm not going to cry about replacing the Mabuchi after 20 or so flights.

If You could get me another inch between the ceter line annd the deck (prefferably 1 1/2" ) I could use either, uncut. Any possibility of an extended fin? Bob
Apr 04, 2005, 09:29 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"

Hmmmmmmm.............

Went back & looked at the last "Poser-shot" and looks like I'd have ample room if the motor nacelle was moved up to the fin tip. (so hard to work an idea with no actual plan in front of you) I think I could take the motor pylon to the tip, extend it forward to compensate for the extra few grams of the IPS on the C/G, and the fin sweep... some carbon reinforcement, and it might work. Still the question of the thrust line being raided though... where the heck is The KM? when You need him! Bob
Apr 05, 2005, 03:17 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Leather
...where the heck is The KM? when You need him!
...in this instance, sleeping

For the IPS drive, I would probably try and give it room for a slightly larger prop, by mounting it on a stick like you have in the photo, and then a spacer of the same size, and then mount that to the stick that's on the Twinkle plan, with a little more downthrust, say... a 1mm bit of wood at the back of the CDRom motor on the plan. Here's a little diagram...

...the Twinkle's original motor stick, the spacer stick, and the stick with the IPS drive on it. The shaft above that is the prop shaft. There's a little piece, 1/32nd or 1/16th (ply) to push in a little more downthrust. Bind these all together with small plastic zip ties. Zip ties would mean you can easily cut them and change things a little. Obviously not making a cowling around anything until it flew.

Now this should provide a little more room for a larger prop.

To swing an even larger prop... you could actually make a little balsa trench. Make a formal little trench, so that the plane is still watertight, that glues under the two half inch wide strips of 16th that run down the back of the wing. I'd make the trench of whatever dimension that would allow at least another half inch to the total prop diameter. In making the trench, I'd allow for the fact that some props flex forward when under load i.e. not just as wide as the prop). If you make the trench a little wider, you would also have a little room to play with different thrust lines (i.e. changing the angle moves the bottom of the prop forward or back).

I'd be trying to give the IPS as big a prop as possible to help it make all the thrust it can.

If the thrust line basically worked, you could try reducing the angle back to the original angle on the plan. A few things has surprised me about the thrust angle on this thing
Apr 05, 2005, 03:20 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
...or, for the smaller prop, you could also find a different ratio main or pinion gear so that it's swinging faster, just a touch closer to direct drive than the original gears.

Quick Reply