"Fly Away Cancer" RC Event 2020

Here is a great TN RC event for a great cause. Read on!

Splash

When

April 25, 2020

Where

• Tullahoma, TN (Directions below)
  • 2912 Northshore Rd, Tullahoma, TN, 37388 ( 35.322693, -86.08891 )

About

My name is Bill Crawford and I am a cancer survivor (and a model airplane enthusiast).

In 2010 I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer of the throat. After surgery to remove a cancerous tumor and lymph node I, like many other cancer victims, underwent radiation and chemo therapies and lived with a feeding tube for a year.

I was blessed in that I was finally cleared and deemed cancer free. Thank you God! However, I wasn't out of the woods yet: there were a mountain of bills to pay. I was blessed a second time when friends, family, and several charities helped me honor my obligations and regain a foothold on life-after-cancer.

Like many cancer survivors, I sought ways to repay the many kindnesses I received along my journey to recovery. I started to research cancer support groups throughout the central Tennessee area and found Multi County Cancer Support Network (MCCSN), based in Decherd, Tennessee. After speaking with their leadership and some of their clients, I knew they provide the services that meant so much to me.

I decided to combine my love of model airplanes with "paying back" and founded the Fly Away Cancer event and this website. My objectives are to spread the word of MCCSN's good work, raise cancer impact awareness, recommend that MCCSN is a worthy recipient of your donations and support, and provide cancer patients with much-needed support.

The Fly Away Cancer event is an annual fundraising event held for the benefit of MCCSN by the Coffee Airfoilers Club and me at our "airport" in Tullahoma Tennessee every year in April. The event is family-oriented and features many model airplane activities, such as aerobatics, demonstrations, and lots of entertainment for the kids. Through sponsorships, raffles, and refreshment sales, we raised $2,885 in 2018 and $6,400 in 2019. This year's event promises to be even better.

Directions

If you are coming from Interstate 24, get off at Exit #117 and go west. You will be on the Wattendorf Memorial Highway (Arnold Center Rd.). Drive approximately 12 miles. Once you pass the Golf Course (on the left) we will be the next left. Don't worry you can see us from the road. If you are coming through Tullahoma, follow Hwy 55 east. Turn right on S. Anderson St, then take the left fork onto Forrest Blvd for approximately 1.5 miles. Field entrance will be on your right. For the ones who use a GPS, our coordinates are: 3521'15.0"N 8610'44.0"W 35.354979(lat), -86.178813(long).

Learn More

Head over to the website for more info.

Jan 28, 2020, 05:37 PM
I will be going, looking forward to it!
Jan 30, 2020, 09:10 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the Recognition Jim. Appreciate it.
We are on year 3 and just getting bigger,
I created a good monster..
Bill.
I have to fix the address, its not north shore drive, but the directions are correct.
Jan 30, 2020, 09:11 PM
c/f
c/f
Is this the club that used to fly on the military base in Tullahoma?
Latest blog entry: EF Outlaw 3+HP.....
Jan 30, 2020, 09:16 PM
We still fly on the base
Jan 30, 2020, 10:22 PM
Work hard, play hard
Bill, I be coming up from Huntsville again. Its a great event! Im looking forward to it again.

Chuck
Feb 24, 2020, 07:46 PM

Raffle prizes

Raffle prizes coming in. see them here..
https://www.flyawaycancer.com/raffle-silent-auction
Feb 24, 2020, 07:49 PM

Pre Register

Pre registration here. https://www.flyawaycancer.com/fly-away-cancer-event
no money needed, pay day of event.
one free raffle ticket with pre registration

Quick Reply