Jan 25, 2020, 11:51 PM
Thread OP
Question

FPV without a HAM license

Are there any FPV systems that don't require a HAM radio license in the US? Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2020, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportcubs
Are there any FPV systems that don't require a HAM radio license in the US? Thanks
Most don't require a HAM license. Any RF device, either control transmitter or video transmitter, that operates within an ISM band and under local specified power limits, doesn't.

There are many ISM band located across the RF spectrum. e.g. 433Mhz, 915Mhz, 2.4Ghz, 5.8Ghz.
Jan 26, 2020, 04:27 AM
Ham licence covers you for transmission on an ISM band but any country asking for HAM operator lisence will definitely frown upon FPV without a spotter with them most RC TX,s in the 2.4 freq can reach around 1 mile, further than the spotters line of site. Therefore gaining this Ham licence is negated by the other rule. Do what 99% of others do, just fly safely and don.,t use above the ISM legal power on your TX. Remember the old CB radio days with hoons using linear power amps to watch the RC guys plane crash.
Jan 26, 2020, 06:41 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
If it was more than just a piece of paper id be behind it.
Everyone that flys FPV with a HAM that I've asked so far, "what did you learn from your HAM instructor/test?" Gives me the same answer. "Nothing"
Jan 26, 2020, 06:41 PM
Sigh. Dup post.
Hey mods, when does the new RCG server go live? This place has more glitches than a servo stored in salt water.
Jan 26, 2020, 07:41 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissah
Most don't require a HAM license. Any RF device, either control transmitter or video transmitter, that operates within an ISM band and under local specified power limits, doesn't.
This is incorrect. Unless your transmitter is FCC compliant, then a HAM license IS REQUIRED. ISM bands just describe the frequencies that are available. But these are only available to licensed users or FCC compliant devices. So look on your transmitter for the FCC logo. If you don't see it, you need a amateur radio (HAM) license.
Jan 26, 2020, 08:40 PM
99.9% of the VTX's we use require a HAM license. Get one - you might learn something.
Jan 26, 2020, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
you might learn something.

I've yet to find anyone that says they learned anything new about FPV thru getting their HAM than they already knew beforehand.
Im all about certification, if it teaches you something new about what your actually doing.

What did you learn? Sell me on it.
Jan 26, 2020, 09:00 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
I've yet to find anyone that says they learned anything new about FPV thru getting their HAM than they already knew going into it.

What did you learn?
That's not necessarily the point, is it?

And no you probably won't learn anything new about FPV by getting your amateur radio license. But you might learn a thing or two about wireless communications, frequencies, power levels, or antennas.
Jan 26, 2020, 09:18 PM
after 15 years doing long range data links, some of which required FCC clearance, likely not.
I'll just unsub to the thread to lessen the SnR.

But if anyone does have a HAM and felt they learned anything about FPV studying for it that they didn't know before, please do PM me the details.
Ive been asking the same Q for a few years. -and so far the only answer i've gotten are, well, just static. for lack of a better term.

as soon as i hear about someone getting fined for running 25mW on a legal freq, i'll go get some papers.
Last edited by xanuser; Jan 26, 2020 at 09:29 PM.
Jan 27, 2020, 12:07 PM
Gravity is patient............
A ham license is really easy to get. Costs like $10 or something. Test is easy. Just study prior exams online, read the book. Spend like 2 or 3 evenings before the test and you're done. Some very useful information for the hobby as well. You will understand good practice as a result and get better results.
Jan 27, 2020, 02:35 PM
The average RC / FPV flyer would learn a lot studying for the ham license. At least you learn the regulations and responsibilities that go along with using a transmitter.
Jan 28, 2020, 08:13 AM
DJI HD FPV System does not require a HAM license.
Jan 28, 2020, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift
How come?
Jan 28, 2020, 08:50 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift
That could be! I don't see any information about it in the user manual. But if it has the FCC logo stamped on the goggles and/or air unit then you might be right.

So then you just have to look at the RC control side. Any of the 2.4GHz spread spectrum systems should be license free. And I'm not sure, but TBS Crossfire might also be FCC registered.

If that's the case... there ya go! License free FPV flying. Of course.. the FAA always has something to say about it also.

Quick Reply