Jan 25, 2020, 11:11 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Build Log

BalsaUSA Enforcer

Hello all, been awhile, but I got the bug to start building again and decided on the Balsa USA Enforcer. First impressions of the kit is highly positive, the die cut parts are super crisp and all the included wood appears to be very high quality. Here are a few pictures of the progress so far...

Eric
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2020, 11:18 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Planning on slightly modifying the kit, but nothing super major.

Going to add retracts, round the wing tips a bit, thicken and shape the vertical stabilizers and probably add rudders, and other little cosmetic things. Still going to have the same controls and pusher prop (though EDF and Turbine look so cool).

Power will probably be Gas, electric is great but buying, storing, and charging tons of big Lipos gets old, and nitro is just too messy. I've flown nitro a little bit, electrics for decades, but never tried gas. I have tons of experience with gasoline engines just never put one in an RC model. The long flight times, the sound, and the near unlimited amount of flight time is appealing to me.

Eric
Jan 25, 2020, 11:21 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
This is my inspiration! Old F-106 Delta Dart.
Jan 25, 2020, 11:22 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
I found this searching for other Enforcers and it really appeals to me... it will definitely influence my build!
Jan 26, 2020, 09:40 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Getting the ribs all lined up and square.
Jan 28, 2020, 09:01 AM
Wow, super cool. I haven't seen an enforcer build on here! Definitely gonna be watching.
Jan 28, 2020, 11:57 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Cool, thanks! Its been a fun build so far.

Wing progress. Next up will be shaping the LE and sheeting.
Jan 31, 2020, 01:40 AM
Hi,

My dad enjoyed building and modifying many of the Balsa USA Force One and Enforcer kits. He built and I was the Chief Test Pilot. Most flew very well and I still have several in my fleet, (although two have t flown in along time.)

Good luck with your build.

Mickydee
Feb 01, 2020, 03:05 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Hi Mickydee, thanks for sharing those look pretty cool! And thank you.

So now I almost have the entire wing bottom done (its built upside down) the last bit of sheeting went on this morning and the only thing left is the landing gear blocks. However, since I'm going to install retracts, now I have to figure out where and how to mount them before proceeding. Hope to get some pics later on today.

Eric
Feb 01, 2020, 07:59 PM
Thanks for posting this Eric, you've inspired me to build one for myself! I downloaded the plans, and it looks like I have everything on hand to cut my own without a kit. Super Tigre .60 or .75? Please keep the photos coming! BTW, which glue do you like the best? It looks like you're doing a comparison test.
Feb 01, 2020, 11:55 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Wing is coming along pretty good!
Feb 02, 2020, 12:02 AM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJeff
Thanks for posting this Eric, you've inspired me to build one for myself! I downloaded the plans, and it looks like I have everything on hand to cut my own without a kit. Super Tigre .60 or .75? Please keep the photos coming! BTW, which glue do you like the best? It looks like you're doing a comparison test.
Awesome, good luck with the build, it is pretty straightforward. Regarding the engine, I'd probably go with the .75, but thats just me. I like more power, and I fly at 1 mile high elevation so I usually need a little extra thrust. Also, the slot is 18" wide, so that determines your prop size as well.

Regarding the glues, I watched this which gave an excellent analysis between different wood glues, but I'd say the biggest difference in use is the Titebond is more runny and the Elmers Max is thicker, so they each have their use. The difference between Titebond 1,2,3 is just strength and water resistance, cost is negligible. I like stronger personally.
Feb 02, 2020, 11:25 AM
This plane is so cool looking! Nice wing.
Feb 02, 2020, 03:22 PM
Wow. Fast build.
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Feb 02, 2020, 04:25 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
I've been out of the hobby for 5 years or so, but now that I'm back, CAD and 3D printing have really been awesome tools for testing ideas and mocking up parts to see how they fit! Before I ordered the retracts I drew them up and printed them out and I'm going to use them to build the mounts. Once the actual retracts show up, they should just drop in. Also, getting the firewall figured out and the spacing of the engine worked out pretty good too! Now that everything fits how I want, I'll be machining custom mounts for the DLE-20RA.

Regarding the fast build, I did start this thread a week or so after I actually started, so the fuselage was already built. Just making sure I glue something together every night after work and it keeps moving forward.

Eric

Quick Reply