Alden Malabar ll 1922
Jan 26, 2020, 01:10 AM
You might find this book helpful ...
if you don’t already have it.

John G. Alden and His Yacht Designs

https://www.amazon.com/John-Alden-Hi.../dp/0070282544
Jan 26, 2020, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Hi Ray, thanks for the suggestion on the book.
I fell in a lot deeper early on as you will see. LOL
Jan 26, 2020, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
Back in 2007 a friend and I decided we both would like to build a schooner sailboat model.
Looking around at what might be available in hulls, we liked the size of Hartman’s Malabar 1 hull. Not too big for transport & handling but big enough to sail well.
With some research we found it would be suitable for a model of Malabar 1 and Malabar ll. We were also able to purchase scale “study” plans, for both versions, from Alden’s design firm. (closed in 2008)
With these plans we felt we could build good “Classic Sail” models that would represent Alden’s designs well.
I picked up the term "Classic Sail" from Phillip Williams book RC Scale Sailing Models. Much better sounding than just "Freelance modeling" don't you think?
An excellent book!

I also managed to find quite a few pictures of the original Malabar ll (still sailing) that helped me with a lot of details. There are also good shots of the boat in the movie “Message in a Bottle”.
Jan 26, 2020, 01:35 PM
Thread OP
So everything will be “scale”. But nothing is “exact scale”, including Hartman’s hull! LOL

Mike Kelly at Pond Boats has built up 2 of these hulls and can attest that they are very good sailing models. See http://www.pondboats.com/Schooner.htm .

If there are any other Hartman hull owners out there, I would enjoying hearing from you. My hull is #39 and my friend’s hull is #36.

Jan 26, 2020, 04:54 PM
Hey RegH

Very nice story ...

A little info - recent past history 20 yrs ago - when RC Schooner build n sailing was big back in early 2000’s ... Here in Southern CA at least

Several folks built various Schooners ... some successful with some better performers when scaled to 50” per ERC Schooner vintage model yacht rules (a few scale attempts not so successful).

What we found here locally in SoCal at least ... is that John Alden Malabar VIII and X perform very well in 50” RC Schooner scale ... with more than adequate deck details (ie deck gingerbread bling) ... a few folks tried to build scale Bluenose but with not so much luck - various attempts with very limited success.

Here is a cool video from those years past from a local PBS special ...

Visiting with Huell Howser: Model Boats (26 min 27 sec)
Jan 26, 2020, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Hey Ray,
Great video! (those were the days?)
From what I understand, Lloyd "Swede" Johnson had redrawn the hull lines of Malabar 1 specific for R/C sailing.
His line drawings were purchased along with my hull
He did a good job because it is reported that they sail quite well.
Last edited by RegH; Jan 26, 2020 at 08:11 PM.
Jan 26, 2020, 08:09 PM
Thread OP
So my friend & I placed orders to Dwight Hartman for 2 hulls with a 4th layer of fiberglass, lead keel weight, hollow fiberglass rudder and all the assorted drawings/photos he had of the model Swede Johnson built from the 1st fiberglass hull.

As for the scale plans from Alden, we were able to get them enlarged to fit the size of the Hartman hull which equaled an approximate scale of 1/12 for Malabar 1 and 1/10 for Malabar ll. We will be using these for all the construction of the models. The study plans for both boats consisted of the following: sail plan, deck plan, interior plan, cabin plan and deck framing plan.
So that’s the plan!
Jan 27, 2020, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Well, a bit more info before we get started.
The Hartman Malabar hulls are 48 1/2" LOD with a 14" beam.
The additional 4th 6 1/2oz fiberglass cloth layer makes the hull weight come up to approx. 3lb
The internal ballast is an 18 lb lead molded keel weight. The drawings show it to be made removable.

Dwight Hartman passed away a number of years ago and Loyalhanna Dockyard acquired all of his molds.
They show the Malabar hull as being currently available.
Jan 27, 2020, 11:52 PM
Thread OP
I had some time before getting the hull so I figured it would be interesting to make blocks for it.
I used the block building instructions from this link to create the blocks. (use Babel fish to translate) Many thanks to Von Ingo Obstfelder who wrote up the instructions!
http://www.minisail-classic.de/image...PDF/Blocke.pdf

Any type of block style & size can be made with this procedure.
I changed the style, shape & size to suit the era & scale of my boat. (1922)

This link shows that there another 2 links for making double & triple blocks in series and a 2nd link that shows how to make a block holder that helps to give a guide for shaping while holding the block securely.( Blockbau in Serie & Block-Schleif-Maschine )
http://http://www.minisail-classic.d...tatt&Itemid=55
I used teak for the wood and 6mm nylon sheaves instead of brass for weight reduction.
The outer edge pins are 2" copper jewelry pins and the center pin was 2mm brass.
The straps were K & S 1/32 x 1/8 flat bar due to the 2mm center pins.

Please look at the Minisail link first & you will see how I adapted his instructions to what I was making.

OOPS My apologies! the above links do NOT work any more.
Go to https://www.minisail-classic.de/minisail-classic/werft/
for many hints & tips but they have omitted the ones I referred to.
The new blocks info is here https://www.minisail-classic.de/mini...u_in_Serie.pdf
Last edited by RegH; Feb 02, 2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: bad links
Jan 27, 2020, 11:54 PM
Thread OP
You can see the size of the sheave with insert.
The center spacers was just cut from the wood strips before the wood was milled for the strap groove.

The wire was used as a CA applicator to the spots where the center spacer touched the sides. Square jig to hold assembly square & even.
Jan 27, 2020, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
I used scrap brass name plates to create a drilling jig. I had to make a couple before the holes were acceptable (but still not perfect)
Last edited by RegH; May 04, 2021 at 11:11 AM.
Jan 28, 2020, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
As on the Minisail site, I used copper pins for the outer block pins. Purchased at the local craft shop in the jewelry making section.

Quick Reply