Jan 25, 2020, 12:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Was this always going to happen, or did FPV put legacy RC in the FAA's sights?

Do you believe it's possible that legacy RC could have been ignored by the FAA, had it not been for the irresponsible flying and bad press FPV has recived?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2020, 01:29 PM
Polstery
It doesn’t matter now!!!!!
Jan 25, 2020, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrguy3
Do you believe it's possible that legacy RC could have been ignored by the FAA, had it not been for the irresponsible flying and bad press FPV has recived?
It could have, but I think they are coming down much harder because of FPV bad actors. But bad actors are inevitable. The FPV technology is what is ruining RC for everyone else. That tech is too easy to abuse and actually usable for terrorists (though remote id is zero protection, because terroists won't comply).
Jan 25, 2020, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw
It could have, but I think they are coming down much harder because of FPV bad actors. But bad actors are inevitable. The FPV technology is what is ruining RC for everyone else. That tech is too easy to abuse and actually usable for terrorists (though remote id is zero protection, because terroists won't comply).
... When drones are outlawed....
Am I right?
Jan 25, 2020, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polstery
It doesn’t matter now!!!!!
This is just a discussion about recent history. Who knows, someone may come up with something useful. History matters, and should be discussed, your statement seems dismissive. Suppose I said WWII and the events that happened in Europe are behind us, and don't matter now. Are you suggesting we have nothing to gain from analyzing the subject at hand?
Regards,
Guy
Jan 25, 2020, 03:49 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
always going to happen.

one only needs to look at how many have died or been seriously hurt taking selfies in the same amount of time since DJI.
Jan 25, 2020, 03:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
always going to happen.

one only needs to look at how many have died or been seriously hurt taking selfies in the same amount of time since DJI.

Please expound on that a little further I must confess ignorance to your inference.
Jan 25, 2020, 04:03 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
just off the top of my head:
https://www.businessinsider.com/inmy...njuries-2018-7

or backing up off waterfalls/cliffs/lava or into tigers/apes/crocodiles, just to get the shot.
the idiot factor has been growing exponentially for about the last 15 years. whether its done with drones or phones, its the user that's to blame, not the device.
Jan 25, 2020, 04:31 PM
No. I had this talk 30 years ago, with other USAF officers. Back then, they were concerned about the possibility of R/C planes being used as guided bombs. FPV (and good Electric batteries) only made the danger more evident.

Like it or not, the world has changed, and our innocent toys are now possible weapons. I'm not surprised RID is being mandated -- I only hope R/C isn't completely banned.

CD
Jan 25, 2020, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
Is there a legitimate argument that only requiring fpv to ID in congested airspace is enough? Leaving legacy rc to its formerly ignored status?
Jan 25, 2020, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
No. I had this talk 30 years ago, with other USAF officers. Back then, they were concerned about the possibility of R/C planes being used as guided bombs. FPV (and good Electric batteries) only made the danger more evident.

Like it or not, the world has changed, and our innocent toys are now possible weapons. I'm not surprised RID is being mandated -- I only hope R/C isn't completely banned.

CD
This, exactly. It started long before FPV technology existed. The FAA put out its first advisory circular in 1981, so the motivation to regulate the hobby has been there for many decades. So, either with or without FPV, or the existence of multi-rotors, this would still be happening regardless.
Jan 25, 2020, 08:04 PM
My personal opinion, and it is only my opinion however it is one that is shared by many, is that this would have happened regardless and it has nothing to do with the fact that FPV arrived on the scene though that may have hastened it somewhat. Why would it have happened anyways? Because I believe that most of this new regulatory environment targeting and attacking the RC hobby in order to clear the skies pof anything that could possibly be in the way of low flying, profit making commercial delivery drones. This "land grab" (air grab) is all about the money, the lobbying cash, the campaign contributions, etc going to Congress Critters from the likes of Amazon, Google, WalMart, UPS and others.

You know what I want for Christmas next year? my very own Congress Critter... many companies own several!
Jan 26, 2020, 08:00 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
it's an interesting one because one could argue that the hobby created multirotors and FPV which led to some seeing a commercial use. Had RC stuck to what it was then I suspect it may have been left alone. Well at least until the next big thing.
Jan 26, 2020, 09:06 AM
1st RC Flight School Dave Scott had a good handle on things. He should know because he has trained hundreds of most likely club members and knows why they felt they had to come to his flight school.
Jan 26, 2020, 10:12 AM
He seems to have left a rather large one out: An unwelcoming environment. People are shunned because their views on life are different from the old guard that make up the folk that go to the field most of the time. This could be anything from local or national politics to what kind of car one drives or what type of aircraft one flies. (He touches on the last one, but not the first two.) I left the first club I joined for exactly that reason. I dreaded there actually being other people there because if there were, they would inevitably start wanting to talk (argue) politics with me based on their belief that my politics match the predominate political position of the place where I live. (I never told them what my politics actually are.) I'm quite capable of arguing politics, but don't go to the field to do that. I go there to fly. The place I fly now doesn't do that at all. Politics might come up, but I'm never made to feel unwelcome or harassed for not participating in those discussions.

Quick Reply