This thread is privately moderated by bzzboy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 24, 2020, 11:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Next Up, A Mountain Models FireStorm

i got the bug for a small pattern plane and ran across the FMS F3A Explorer. It was OK, but a little too high of wing loading for what i wanted. i liked the concept however, and found Mountain Models FireStorm.

It took about 2 months to complete in between other projects. What a FANTASTIC flying machine. I lightened up the structure where i could and covered it with some SoLite from my stash. Having used them in my DLGs, i put MKS 75k servos in it, along with a Leopard 3536 running on 3s 2200s. 7 minutes of F3A flying and wing loading is under 11oz/sq ft! Static thrust to weight ratio is >2:1. What a FANTASTIC flying model. It flies much bigger than its size. It slow rolls beautifully, and lands like a feather. It also tolerates wind much better than i anticipated, which is good because our field in the summer has a nearly constant stiff breeze in the evening.

Pictures at the field were on the Maiden Day, and i had left the cowl off prior to settling on the incidence for the motor. i'll have to make some time to finish trimming it, it's definitely a keeper.

Maiden flight was 4/23/19
Last edited by bzzboy; Jan 24, 2020 at 11:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply