Dec 16, 2020, 10:32 PM
Also worth noting was that adding two more layers didn't make a difference. It just needs "something" to shield it better.

So two strips of copper across the sensor module and two strips across the GPS and top cover was really all it needed.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2020, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpaw
That does appear to be the consistent fix for this. I haven't had a problem since then. It's too bad that I had to buy a whole roll of copper tape for it (not sure what I'll use the other 50 feet of it for) but it was certainly worth it.

Added alumium tape (still had some in the garage) to the inside around the GPS sensor and a ferrite bead around the wire this week but could not test due to dark at 16.30 here and bad weather. But just tested it this afternoon and in the backyard I got 6 or 7 sattelites (previously 0) and in the open up to 17 (previously 7 to 10)

Perfect, will keep this one. Thanks for the fix !!

Just have to figure out how to get the movies from the SD as I can see them in the app but when I put the card in the PC they're not there (altough there is 1.7 gb used according card info)
Dec 20, 2020, 08:54 AM

Shielding at the best the EX4 drone

Hi Smokey & Darkpaw. Your posts should be very useful for those who have encountered water bowl problems. I premise that magnetometer and gyroscope calibrations are never a problem for me. I have a little toilet bowl phenomenon just during the first meters of the ascent; when my EX4 reaches the 7-10 meters the flight becomes very stable and controllable. Nevertheless, I have almost every time a message "EKF2 IMU0 ground mag anomaly, yaw re-aligned
"
during the first 2-10 seconds of the ascent and sometimes I get an "Environmental magnetic field interference is too large, please pay attention to flight" later in my LOG file. But I would try your solution, either by copper or aluminum tape to see if I too obtain an improvement.
Could you kindly publish a picture of your shield position to the inner of the drone cover and every other place you put the metallic tape?
Dec 20, 2020, 09:07 AM
Referring to your SD problem I can only say this; as far as I know, the footage is stored in the app folder (C_FLY/Videos, C_FLY/Photos or Enjoy_FLY/Photos) ONLY if they cannot be stored in the SD (Absent or damaged or inappropriate TF card). So if you can see the movies in the app folder you WON'T see them in the SD and if you see the footage in the SD you won't find them into the app folder.
Dec 21, 2020, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbal
Referring to your SD problem I can only say this; as far as I know, the footage is stored in the app folder (C_FLY/Videos, C_FLY/Photos or Enjoy_FLY/Photos) ONLY if they cannot be stored in the SD (Absent or damaged or inappropriate TF card). So if you can see the movies in the app folder you WON'T see them in the SD and if you see the footage in the SD you won't find them into the app folder.
SD was in and I was able to see videos were stored but pushing the 'download' icon did nothing... so removed the card and put it in PC but it gave errors first and after fixing, missed 1.7 GB.. strange. Tried again today, can see them again in the app but not able to ' download'

Will format the SD and try again. SD is 32 GB sandisk (original) so should be OK but will try another one if no luck.

For the sattelites; today had 10 in the backyard pretty quickly so seems to be working very well.
Dec 21, 2020, 01:00 PM
Thanks, Smokey.
For the SD it is clear that some problem is there. About the downloading by the app, I saw that this is done just once. So, maybe that your app believes and remembers that the download has been done also if it is not really.
Dec 27, 2020, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone! I'm having a problem with my C-Fly Faith.
Four-days ago I dismantled the drone to correct the gimbal because it was skewed to one side. When I reassembled the gimbal's camera, I accidentally plug the cord back on the wrong side and the LED on the board blinked continuously, I switched side and everything worked. However, when I turn the drone back on, the connection is completely lost with the remote, the light on the drone blinks in blue indicating the connection is not working. I tried to bind the drone again with the remote on the app, but it still failed. Has anyone ever encountered this situation?
If anyone has ever encountered, please tell me how to fix it.
Thank you!
Jan 01, 2021, 08:30 AM
Bonjour. je viens d'acquérir un ex4. Impossible de le faire fonctionner. La lumière reste bleu fixe.
En wifi j'ai groundxxxx , je fais pair r/c, et malgré l esuccessfull , rien... Cela correspond t'il à votre problème ? Merci
Jan 28, 2021, 09:06 PM
Smokey & Darkpaw If you have a chance a picture is worth a thousand words.
Feb 11, 2021, 05:58 PM

No GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpaw
So my copper tape arrived this afternoon, and I just put two sheets over the sensor module and two sheets over the GPS on the top cover.

And the difference........just, wow.

UAV Forecast is telling me that 13 satellites are currently available, and I was able to pick up 11-12 of them, consistently. I did this testing in my back yard, where I couldn't get it to connect to any satellites pretty much at all last time. It did start moving around a bit, but it's fairly windy here right now, so I can't hold that against it. I decided to take my chances at sending it up to about 100 feet, and it (rather ironically) seemed to hold much more solid when it got some height on it. No toilet bowling at all once it started to get up higher, and it held even in wind gusts to over 20mph (according to UAV Forecast).

Took it back down, shut it off, and turned everything back on, with no compass calibration. It picked up 12 satellites again, launched with no problem, and held fairly solid a few feet in the air.

CONCLUSION:
So these are some interesting observations, and it seems to go along with what others found after doing something similar. The problem with this drone seems to be coming from INSIDE the aircraft. I'm going to try putting one more strand of copper on it, to see if will lock even better. But in general, this does seem to solve the problem with the magnetic interference. Which begs the question....why didn't they just put the extra 2 cents worth of shielding on this? It's not like it's a "cheap" cheap drone, there are certainly far cheaper and far worse ones. Just spend the tiny bit more on shielding, and save customer headaches. Sheesh.
Do you think that it will help resolve my issue? My EX4 flew once and toilet bowled right into a wall and never got satelite signal again.

I replaced the GPS Module, but it did nothing but overheat. It got so hot that the the top cover started to warp a little.

Is this thing that bad. Now, I can't even launch it manually. What's up with this thing?
Mar 26, 2021, 03:24 AM
Hello Charles! I have a problem with my eachine 4x and a would like to talk about. How could I enter in this group?
Apr 23, 2021, 01:25 PM
Last year I bought this older version ex4 (there was no 3km version yet). I didn't have any problems. I was running, catching satellites and just flying. I was very pleased. One day I went on a trip and I took ex4. I turned on satellites as always and up. I flew back and forth and when I wanted to go back, I realized that I was losing steering. I tried to save myself with one return key but it didn't help. I lost it and never found it.

It wasn't until later that I read about these problems with toilet bowl or satellites. I didn't have them.

Now I wonder what to buy - or ex4 again? I have 2 batteries for it + a remote control and a bag. But won't it fly away again?

Does anyone know if the 3km version has not been improved?
May 05, 2021, 01:56 PM
Darkpaw - any chance you can snap a photo of how you placed the copper tape? Curious if you placed it on the under side of the cover (below GPS module) AND on top of the main unit directly below where the GPS module sits. BTW - I've had issues with GPS interference on my fixed wings and separation (even as much as a few centimeters) makes a HUGE difference.

Quick update 5/8 - placed RF Tape and thin foil shielding I've used with my fixed wings and it has made a significant difference. Now, when I start up, I 'typically' get 5-6 satellites, and then after a minute (or so), I get 8-9. Today, I got 13, and then up to 15 in flight.

From what I can tell after removing the top, the electronics don't have any ferrite rings, very, very thin foil, etc. If I had a spare, I might experiment a bit with more shielding and placement of the GPS module.

Quick question to the group - is there a better GPS module that is plug-in-play with this drone? I know I have great success with the Betian devices, and have found mRO's GPS/compass is rock solid.
Last edited by f4corsair; May 08, 2021 at 01:05 PM.
Jun 03, 2021, 02:06 AM

Where to place the shielding tape?

Can anyone, f4corsair or others, upload an image showing where / explain clearly where to put shielding tape exactly?
Kind regards
Jun 03, 2021, 10:17 AM

Shielding Tape placement and results

All -

I don't have pictures, but I'll do my best to describe the procedure I've used as well the outcome I've observed with this little bugger of a quadcopter.

First - I've been flying fixed wing UAS for a while - and have introduced increasingly complex configurations in my aircraft. For example, I now have four aircraft with fully outfitted flight controllers (Matek F765 and Pixracer), GPS, Pitot tube, 915 MhZ telemetry radio, 5.8 GHz FPV video and have dabbled with OpenHD and digital transmission. I've had to go to school on radio interference, shielding, ferrite cores, etc. BTW - I'm not an electrical engineer, but do have an advanced degree in genomics. I like to solve hard problems - so I've had to really learn this stuff to solve it (and enjoyed it in the balance )

Second - got an Ex5 for Christmas and flew it for a month or so without any issue. What I didn't care for is the camera - no gimbal - so lots of wobbly video - in a way defeating the purpose of a quadcopter for close-in video. Sold it and purchased an EX4 Pro.

When I received my Ex4, I took it to my back deck and followed the procedure to calibrate, set the gyro and then waited for GPS signal. After a few minutes, the EX4 turned off. I tried this procedure again, but had no luck - still at 0 satellites.

I tried the same procedure further from my back deck, and had no more than 5 satellites within a few minutes. Using GPS Test (Google Play store) I realized many more satellites were visible and quickly though that this little copter had too much internal interference.

As I started to dig around, I found this thread - and thank you all for the detail provided. Very helpful!

Here's what ultimately helped me solve this problem and get some really great video with the EX4 as well the ability to enjoy a relatively inexpensive quadcopter.

1. Remove top cover. Procedure is defined earlier in this thread.
2. Observe position of GPS. Noted proximity of GPS unit and all of the other RF (ESC, compass, flight controller). Also noted very, very thin foil covering the GPS unit.
3. Purchased TitanRF Faraday Tape from Amazon. Placed overlapping lines of tape across (vertically) the GPS unit and then where the GPS connector exited the shielding.
4. Placed a small square of mRo Super EMI Absorber/Shield on top of the RF tape. BTW - I had a bit of this left over from another installation in one of my fixed wing UAS.
5. Observed wire runs along the body of the EX4 shell. Did NOT introduce ferrite cores to any run
6. Closed up the EX4

To test this configuration, I attempted satellite lock in two previous locations (as noted above). On my deck I had 5 satellites within 30 seconds, then 8-9 within a minute. By two minutes I had >9 which is 'safe to fly' for this device.

In the other location (out front on my driveway), I had 9 satellites within 30 seconds, and then >10 by two minutes.

I've also tested this configuration in sunny, cloudy and overcast days.

In all cases, I am not regularly able to lock to at least nine satellites within two minutes, take off and then have >12 satellites in flight. Max satellites observed (large open field, in flight) is 19.

Here's what I've concluded:

1. Very little testing of this device in 'real-world' situations. Suspect it meets the minimum viable configuration in the lab or some open field behind the manufacturing facility.
2. A little shielding goes a long way. Probably went overboard with two layers (RF tape and mRo Super EMI Absorber/Shield) together.
3. GPS unit is really, really cheap. I've been using Beltian devices (Chinese made) as well as those developed by mRO and my experience with them is 2-3 orders of magnitude better than the EX4. If I could replace the GPS in the EX4 I would in heartbeat.

Hope this helps - and happy to field questions.

BTW - here's a video I recently took:
Eachine Ex4 Pro Flight and Video Test (2 min 31 sec)
Last edited by f4corsair; Jun 04, 2021 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply