Apr 09, 2020, 05:54 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Copied, thank you Thomas!
On with the build.
Pete
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2020, 08:16 PM
I would like to build one of these more so as an aileron trainer and not a high powered 3D airplane. In doing so a few questions come to mind and would like to please ask for help.
1.) Is there any down/ right thrust required and if so, how much?
2.) For my purposes would the Flite Test power pack A be sufficient match? I have the older version 250 size motor with a 2200 kv rating and not the newer radial brand. They suggest a prop range between 5.5 x. 4.5 -8.0 inch dia. 3 cell on the smaller prop dia. And 2 cell on larger I am presuming.
3.) What should I set my aileron, rudder and elevator throws for my purposes?
Thank you so much in advance for any direction and guidance.
Apr 11, 2020, 08:25 PM
Hi Nippy,
1. The plan shows 1 degree right thrust, no downthrust.
2. Sorry, I have no information on that setup, but assuming a weight of around 300 gm, 50W of power should be just nice, eg around 7A on 2S.
3. As to throws, perhaps use Thomas' minimum 'normal' throws as your maximum, and have perhaps 70% of that as low rates on a switch. Add some expo, say 35% to soften response around neutral. You could even leave the upper ailerons fixed as part of the wing, and just use the lower ones - easy enough to cut out, hinge and link the upper ones later when you get greedy for performance.
4. Go for Thomas' forward limit for your CG.
5. Thomas may have more definitive advice next time he is on.
Cheers,
PeteM
Apr 13, 2020, 11:23 PM
Basic structure now complete. Undercarriage and tailskid next?
Minor concern - put a battery in the compartment, balanced motor on the nose, and it looks as if it will be nose-heavy. To be investigated.
Apr 17, 2020, 11:34 PM
Trotteldecker is complete to flyable stage, needs a bit of colour here and there for visibility upright and inverted. Confirmed it is quite nose-heavy with the battery up front (top hatch on mine). Probable cause is using very light, sub-standard Depron that our club got by accident. There is plenty of room in the fuselage to move the battery back, but no easy access - I may have to make a carrier platform so I can push the battery back, secure and retrieve it.
All we need now is for the war to end so we can go out to play again!
Cheers and thanks again to Thomas for another interesting and fun build.
Pete
Apr 19, 2020, 01:48 PM
Pete,

made me feel guilty and then jealous so I got me finger out....
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Apr 19, 2020, 03:02 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
Hi Nippy,
1. The plan shows 1 degree right thrust, no downthrust.
2. Sorry, I have no information on that setup, but assuming a weight of around 300 gm, 50W of power should be just nice, eg around 7A on 2S.
3. As to throws, perhaps use Thomas' minimum 'normal' throws as your maximum, and have perhaps 70% of that as low rates on a switch. Add some expo, say 35% to soften response around neutral. You could even leave the upper ailerons fixed as part of the wing, and just use the lower ones - easy enough to cut out, hinge and link the upper ones later when you get greedy for performance.
4. Go for Thomas' forward limit for your CG.
5. Thomas may have more definitive advice next time he is on.
Cheers,
PeteM
I second this. Try ailerons on lowr wing only and try 2s. very low rates, especially on rudder.
Apr 19, 2020, 06:14 PM
Looks like a very neat build, Paul! Are those leading edges just carved and sanded, or did you bend the Vector Board to shape?
Oh, and please don't mention Vector Board (or the war ) - I was keen to buy and try some, but the logistics and cost of getting it to the Land of Oz defeated me: something like 200 Pounds or Euros to freight 45 Euros worth of foam!
Cheers,
Pete
Apr 20, 2020, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
(or the war )

Pete

(I may have mentioned it once but I think I got away with it)

Please don't mention the leading edges, worth a story on it's so I am saving it till I have her ready as it is a Vector Board thing. However, total disaster, cost me a couple of days and lots of frustration.......

Paul
May 05, 2020, 09:50 AM
Very pleasant ('cept for the wind....)

Trotteldecker Maiden (5 min 0 sec)
May 05, 2020, 05:53 PM

Congratulations!

That looked great, Paul - you beat me to the flying bit after all!
Despite the strong wind and turbulence it seems to handle well, particularly at high alpha.
Still waiting to be allowed out on day release here - meantime building and flying the simulator.
Cheers,
Pete
May 09, 2020, 03:20 PM
Got 2 flights in yesterday and 3 today in a slight breeze but very flyable.

Great fun, already prefer her to the 'Straight' Trottle (although I really haven't flown her enough to be honest). Get to get the C of G squared away, I had it too far forward but getting there now.

Nice,

Paul
May 15, 2020, 11:23 PM

Trotteldeckerdopplegaudi!

Gorgeous autumn day yesterday, so snuck over to a local park and test-flew the Trotteldecker.
A little bit of breeze and turbulence from surrounding trees, but very flyable.
It flies beautifully, quite stable, but very manoeuvrable - my CG is still too far forward, even with the battery right back under the top wing, so will have to come up with a better solution. Needed quite a bit of down elevator for inverted and could not get a true spin.
Only two short flights on 460mAh and 850mAh packs, six minutes and eight minutes left plenty of spare, though flying was fairly gentle.
Early impressions excellent - looking like the perfect park-flyer!
Cheers, and thanks again to Thomas!
Pete
May 20, 2020, 03:49 PM
Had around 10 great flights over the last week or so and she had proved herself to be a very 'nice' well behaved 'all-rounder', which is 'nice' but 'a nice all-rounder' is, well, a bit boring.....

EXACTLY the same scenario as Pete, can't get the battery mounted any further back due to my big fat sausage fingers and making the hatch too small.......

So I chopped a foam beam around 120 X 20 X 8 with velcro on one end to attach the battery and another strip on the other side at the other end to attach the beam where the battery was.

Moved the battery back by around 50 mm taking the C of G from 60 mm to 70 mm (Leading edge, upper wing).

WOOOOO HOOOO, 'nice' ???????

NO, my Babe just got 'Dirty', much much more fun and now manoeuvrable to the (my) limit, hovers like she's nailed to a wall (as long as you are gentle with the corrections, otherwise, watch out 'cos she WILL bite you), knife edge like any other shocky but with a good turn of speed.

I know, no video and it didn't happen but I forgot the Hat Cam today but I will get some footage.

Actually need to slide the batt slightly further forwards, roll to inverted with the stick in the middle and she was gently nosing up (or the tail was dropping) and if I then lower the throttle slightly she kind of 'falls' into an inverted harrier, fun but maybe not quite right. Also need a squeeze of down thrust (I mounted every thing at 0/0) as she climbs quite noticeably but all in all, WOW.

Paul

Quick Reply