Jan 24, 2020, 04:19 AM
Extreme Flight 540T Flyer
Thread OP
Help!

Semi - Newb Help TREX 550/700

Hey All, I just recently got back into this stuff after a decade. I have flown 450s and smaller for many years with flybars, nothing advanced just circles and loops and whatnot.

With that said since my time now, they are all on FBL / Satt Receivers and all sorts of new updates.

So I picked up a 550x / and a 700x with a DX8 G2 Radio. Any tips that saved you and or any good YouTubers with how to set up this stuff for a newbie when it comes to the new technologies. Flying I don't think will be an issue but all this stuff is new to me.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2020, 01:00 PM
UK 550/600 Tarot distributor
Are the helis fully build and setup on the DX8 and ready to fly?

My best single piece of advice would be to find an experience RC heli flyer and get him to check the helis out for you and show you the basic ins and outs of the equipment and setup. They are two really nice helis so it would be a shame to wreck one due to inexperience.

The setup of the flybarless unit all depends on the type of FBL fitted to the helis but I guess one final tip is when flying a new heli always check that the control response and gyro response goes the correct way. Get this simple thing wrong and the first flight is sure to end very badly. if the helis have been flown before on the same Tx then it should be ok but still worth checking.
Jan 25, 2020, 07:06 AM
Thread OP
No the Dx8 was bought separate. The 700 has an 7200fbl and the 550 has an icon 2 HD fbl. I was thinking the same find a local place to maybe get spun back up. Excited though to fly again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie
Are the helis fully build and setup on the DX8 and ready to fly?

My best single piece of advice would be to find an experience RC heli flyer and get him to check the helis out for you and show you the basic ins and outs of the equipment and setup. They are two really nice helis so it would be a shame to wreck one due to inexperience.

The setup of the flybarless unit all depends on the type of FBL fitted to the helis but I guess one final tip is when flying a new heli always check that the control response and gyro response goes the correct way. Get this simple thing wrong and the first flight is sure to end very badly. if the helis have been flown before on the same Tx then it should be ok but still worth checking.
Jan 25, 2020, 12:28 PM
ok, that means the FBL and Tx will need to be setup. This is not hard but if you havent done it before it's good to get someone to point you in the right direction.

What receiver were you thinking about using on the 550?
Jan 25, 2020, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
ok, that means the FBL and Tx will need to be setup. This is not hard but if you havent done it before it's good to get someone to point you in the right direction.

What receiver were you thinking about using on the 550?

Well the 700 came with a 7200bx Spektrum, and the 550x came with a Icon2 HD on it, I can always swap them if need be.
Jan 25, 2020, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyder
Well the 700 came with a 7200bx Spektrum, and the 550x came with a Icon2 HD on it, I can always swap them if need be.
The iKon is only a Flybarless controller, it needs a seperate receiver, hence my question. The AR7200BX on the other hand has an integrated Spektrum receiver.
Jan 25, 2020, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
The iKon is only a Flybarless controller, it needs a seperate receiver, hence my question. The AR7200BX on the other hand has an integrated Spektrum receiver.

Damn well good to know. I guess I'll have to get a Reciever for the 550x any recommendations? It'll be on a DX8 G2 radio.
Jan 26, 2020, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Damn well good to know. I guess I'll have to get a Reciever for the 550x any recommendations? It'll be on a DX8 G2 radio.
Assuming you have checked and it doesnt have a receiver tucked away somewhere. Then the Spektrum SPM4649T is the best choice. Add a DSXM satellite if you want extra redundancy. I'm a big fan of 'Lemon Rx' brand DSMX satellites, because they are cheap and perform just as well as the Spektrum originals.

The SPM4649T is the only receiver that will give you the two way communication that's needed if you want to use the programming integration features of the iKon2.. So you can set it up and make tuning changes direct from your Tx screen.
Jan 26, 2020, 06:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Assuming you have checked and it doesnt have a receiver tucked away somewhere. Then the Spektrum SPM4649T is the best choice. Add a DSXM satellite if you want extra redundancy. I'm a big fan of 'Lemon Rx' brand DSMX satellites, because they are cheap and perform just as well as the Spektrum originals.

The SPM4649T is the only receiver that will give you the two way communication that's needed if you want to use the programming integration features of the iKon2.. So you can set it up and make tuning changes direct from your Tx screen.

Awesome will order one. It already has 2 satt reciever, so just need the main receiver.
Jan 26, 2020, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Awesome will order one. It already has 2 satt reciever, so just need the main receiver.
It will work ok just with the two satt receivers, but you wont get integration with your transmitter.

Quick Reply