This thread is privately moderated by kuhlrunner, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 23, 2020, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

25mm EDF Jet Build - DIY

This is a copy of the post I recently added to the Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems forum.

Hey y'all,

I'm new to the RCGroups community, and the hobby in general, but I've always been impressed by other people posting about their great builds and fun ideas they try out. I'm especially inspired by FliteTest and everything they and their great community has put out to help people get into the hobby.

I've been flying a HobbyZone Super Cub (the old version) that I was given by some relatives... after the tail had been smashed. I fixed up the tail control surfaces with some foam board and it's been working well. I've finally got the inspiration to build a plane of my own... an indoor micro 25mm EDF jet!

So far, I've found and scaled down some community-generated plans for an Aero L-39 Albatros model (thanks Grifflyer!) and created a scratch-built EDF power system with a total diameter of 25mm. I'm using an old mini-quad brushed inrunner motor and clipped propeller, some 3d-printed parts, and a bit of thin (PVC?) pipe. I'm not sure what thrust it provides, or how to figure that out, but it has a nice kick to it when I hook it up to a 300mah 7.4v battery. Here's some pictures...

Name: IMG_2347.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 1.28 MB
Description:
Name: IMG_2351.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 1.01 MB
Description:
Name: IMG_2350.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 1.18 MB
Description:
Name: IMG_2349.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 1.31 MB
Description:

I'm hoping to have the foam, or whatever material I'll end up using for the plane, to be about 2mm thick, and I might need some balsa-wood spars for structural integrity. I'd appreciate any help, guidance, or support y'all can provide, and I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with build pictures. I guess subscribe or whatever to keep updated.

Please see the original article to comment at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Jet-Build-DIY

Signing off for now,
kuhlrunner

(P.S. - I know this is a pretty ambitious project for a novice hobbyist, but come what may, the journey shall be the destination.)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2020, 12:07 PM
Very interesting project.
I'm eager to see how it turns out.
Nothing wrong with being a Novice as I've only been in the Hobby for 3-4 years.
There's always something to learn which is one of the attractions for me ;-)
Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

See you in the Air!

Tony
Ground Control RC
Jan 26, 2020, 12:29 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Tony! I'll try to keep this thread updated with major build pictures and results, but most of the conversation, build updates, and q&a will be happening on the thread located in the Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems forum. There's a link on this post if you're interested.

kuhlrunner
Jan 26, 2020, 09:08 AM
Thanks!
I'll check out the thread as well.

Quick Reply