Revolectrix - Announcing the New PowerLab Touch Series II

Here is some new info from the folks at Revelectrix!

Splash

NOW TAKING ORDERS!

From Revelectrix...

Taking orders for the first production run - April delivery. Limited quantities available so get your orders in now! The PowerLab Touch Series II beta program could not be going better!

HARDWARE IMPROVEMENTS

1. NEW HIGH ISOLATION DC/DC STEP-DOWN CONVERTER PROVIDES 1500V ISOLATION BETWEEN INPUT SUPPLY VOLTAGE AND INTEGRATED BUMP CONTROLLER TO PREVENT SUPPLY NOISE FROM AFFECTING SENSITIVE CONTROL CIRCUITRY.

2. NEW OPTO-ISOLATED DATA PORTS PROVIDE 100% VOLTAGE AND SIGNAL ISOLATION ON ALL INTEGRATED BUMP CONTROLLER DATA PORTS; INTERNAL (PL PORTS 1 AND 2), AS WELL AS EXTERNAL (PL PORTS 3 AND 4).

3. ADDITIONAL FILTERING CIRCUITRY.

BENEFITS OF HARDWARE IMPROVEMENTS

1. SUPPLY VOLTAGE ISOLATION ELIMINATES THE NEED FOR COMMON GROUNDS BETWEEN INPUT POWER SUPPLIES AND THE POWERLAB TOUCH MODELS. NEVER WORRY ABOUT DAMAGE CAUSED BY MIS-CONNECTIONS, FAILED CONNECTIONS, OR DIFFERENT POWER SUPPLY VOLTAGE REQUIREMENTS FOR DIFFERENT COMPONENTS. ANY NUMBER OF POWER SUPPLIES OF VARYING OUTPUT VOLTAGES MAY BE USED TO POWER INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS IN A SETUP. FOR EXAMPLE, POWER A PL8TSII OR DPL8TSII ON 48VDC, POWER A LEGACY PL8 CONNECTED TO EXTERNAL PL PORTS 3 USING 24VDC, AND POWER A PL6 CONNECTED TO EXTERNAL PL PORT 4 USING A 12VDC PB BATTERY WITHOUT WORRIES.

2. COMPLETE OPTO-ISOLATION GREATLY REDUCES NOISE LEVELS ON DATA BUSES BETWEEN THE INTEGRATED BUMP CONTROLLER AND THE CHARGE ENGINE, ELIMINATES POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO COMPONENTS, IMPROVES RELIABILITY, AND REDUCES THE NUMBER OF SAFETY CODES DURING OPERATION; PARTICULARLY DURING HIGHER CHARGE CURRENT AND HIGHER OPERATING VOLTAGES.

3. LOWER NOISE AS A RESULT OF THE HARDWARE IMPROVEMENTS IMPROVES NFC RELIABILITY AS WELL AS BLUETOOTH RELIABILITY AND RANGE.

Learn More

Head over to the Revolectrix site for all the info!

Jan 24, 2020, 04:16 PM
Patrick Randall

OK, looking forward to this

Pre-ordered a DPL8T. Don't know much about the bump thing - I need an RFI sticky for each battery? What about tiny ones?
I guess the bump tech will be the same as existing chargers. As a newb, it there some tech/app that allows charting of IR by pack over time?
Last edited by randallp; Jan 24, 2020 at 04:24 PM.
Jan 25, 2020, 08:45 AM
Wow. Dang pricey by today's standards.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:40 AM
Pfew.. You can buy a house from that money....
Jan 25, 2020, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnorburn
Wow. Dang pricey by today's standards.
It's a not a disposable 80W charger with 7W of discharge power. On a per watt basis it's cheaper than many chargers.
Jan 25, 2020, 01:04 PM
Patrick Randall

Bump auto discharge to storage? Watts?

From the blurb it says Regenerative Discharge allows full power “green” discharge back into Pb battery power
source @40A

Does that mean that I can bump my unused fully charged 6S 70C packs and automatically quickly discharge them down to storage volts?
Jan 26, 2020, 10:56 AM
ah dinnae ken
I'm using the original Bump controller with the original power labs chargers. The bump tags are awesome. You set up the battery parameters one time and when it's time to charge or store all you to is put the tag over the bump controller are the charger know what to do. Make it less likely to make a mistake.
You can run the charger manually thru the Bump controller.
I've built my case with two chargers 2-1/2 years ago and had nothing but success with it. My set up is described here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Case-%28DIY%29

I'd like the new ones, but since the old ones work so good I don't have a need to upgrade.
Jan 26, 2020, 11:56 AM
Dang and I just bought a PL6T. Oh well. Haha.
Jan 28, 2020, 12:16 PM
Patrick Randall

Multiple 12v 30A DC supplies at once?

Just been reading the (2017) manual - it appears that you can supply the Dual PL Touch from two separate power supplies.
Does anyone do that?
At our club we have multiple 30A Power supplies - can I take two feeds for a dual PL from two of them? (I was thinking I'd have to buy two (single) PLs to get the watts in up.
Jan 28, 2020, 05:43 PM
I ordered a DPL8T.

I've used CellPro chargers from the first 4S for my A123's. Didn't really like the PowerLab chargers so I bought a Junsi 4010 and I don't use it. Too damn complicated to setup and no protections for things like all the CellPro's I've had do have those. I've let the magic smoke out of some charge boards with the 4010 so it's parked.

It does have a 48 VDC, 31.5 Amps on 110 AC input, Meanwell power supply I can use for the new CellPro's and sell the 4010, shouldn't be too hard from what I've seen them go for here.
Jan 28, 2020, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallp
Just been reading the (2017) manual - it appears that you can supply the Dual PL Touch from two separate power supplies.
Does anyone do that?
At our club we have multiple 30A Power supplies - can I take two feeds for a dual PL from two of them? (I was thinking I'd have to buy two (single) PLs to get the watts in up.
It's my understanding the new Dual PL 8 Touch has a single power input lead as can be seen in the photo.
Jan 29, 2020, 01:24 PM
Patrick Randall

Possibly a silly question then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
It's my understanding the new Dual PL 8 Touch has a single power input lead as can be seen in the photo.
Our club has a bunch of 30A 12-14v chargers all on same 110v ac. Is it possible to connect two of their outputs in parallel to give 60A? Much like you would parallel up boat batteries to give more amps.
Jan 29, 2020, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallp
Our club has a bunch of 30A 12-14v chargers all on same 110v ac. Is it possible to connect two of their outputs in parallel to give 60A? Much like you would parallel up boat batteries to give more amps.
Power supplies need to be specifically designed to be used in parallel. Some industrial supplies support this. Ideally, you want higher voltage as it's limited to somewhere around 500W out with a 12v input. On my Dual PowerLab 8 I'm using a 48V power supply.
Feb 10, 2020, 02:45 PM
Patrick Randall

Any news on Series 2 availability?

Wondering if the virus thing is affecting manufacturing
Feb 10, 2020, 03:43 PM
I would imagine, they even had FoxCon shut down which basically shut down Apple. They just announced this morning that 10% of the FoxCon operation would reopen for Apple stuff.

Quick Reply