May 18, 2020, 04:18 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Bad news guys.

I finally received an answer just now from the San Simeon State Park. Upper management for the State Parks have been working on solidifying a game plan and finally have announced it. It has been very frustrating not being able to get answers until just now.

Here is their announcement:

"Hello! I have just been given the direction to cancel all events in the district on state park property through June 30th. Unfortunately, we will be unable to issue a permit for your sailplane flying event. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. I cannot give you any estimate with any certainty on when we may be able to reopen for permits."

No answer yet on when they will reopen...........seems the reopening date will be a moving target.

We will try again for our second event which is the first weekend of August.........stay tuned.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2020, 09:31 PM
Thanks Dave
May 18, 2020, 09:52 PM
over it
Boo.
May 19, 2020, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the information-- Gruesome still sucks!! Hopefully August will work! Stay safe everyone!!
May 19, 2020, 10:13 AM
over it
Well, TOSS is up and running if some Thermal Duration is up your alley
May 19, 2020, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the effort, and for keeping us posted David.

I had dreams of camping, flying and hanging with friends on the coast. (And not putting one in the water like last time I was there)

Looking forward to August.
May 26, 2020, 10:26 AM
“ 3rd Generation RC Modeler”
Bummer guys!

Sorry to hear. I love seeing the rally up before contests and seeing who prevails. I’ll be waiting to see in August.

Phil
Jun 22, 2020, 03:35 PM

Update on our August San Simeon Event:

The San Simeon Park started a new procedure a couple of years ago, they have a deadline of 45 days prior to your proposed event to submit your permit request paperwork. So I reached out to them last week asking for an update if I could submit a permit yet. Here is their response:

"Hello,

The county and state reopening guidelines are relaxing toward events that fall under a few categories: religious ceremonies, cultural ceremonies and 1st amendment free speech. This will open us up to permitting in a small way for brief wedding ceremonies on the coast but does not open us up to any other type of permit at this time. Things are changing rapidly so I may have more information soon. I will put your request down on my pending spreadsheet. Given the unusual circumstances we are in we are not worrying about permit time frames so for now, we’ll disregard any limits we had in the past.

I’ll be in touch soon I hope!"

So it is a wait and see game for right now but at least we are in their schedule tentatively.......anyone need to get married in a beautiful place?

Updates to follow.........

Dave
Jun 22, 2020, 06:06 PM
Thanks Dave, these days will be in the history books....
Jun 29, 2020, 07:42 PM
Dave, I'm pretty sure RC soaring falls under religious ceremonies
Jun 29, 2020, 10:54 PM
launch low, fly high
Maybe you could embrace several of their categories!

For many of us, soaring is a religion, I've been a devout follower for nearly a half century. There is the green aspect, aircraft flight powered by the wind. For the first amendment, you can hold an event demonstrating how one can fly aircraft powered only by the wind and solar (to be 100% truthful, bring a solar panel to charge your planes).

An aside, it appears Heinlein was rather prescient. Crazy years, indeed.
Jul 09, 2020, 11:37 AM
I think you could argue that wind comes from solar heating
Jul 20, 2020, 03:46 PM
Well, I just now received an email from the Park's Special Event Coordinator:

"Hello,

Given the governor’s recent roll back of SLO county’s reopening process, we are unable to permit for your sailplane group this year. Fingers crossed for a much better 2021.

Thanks and be well!"

Sadly we won't be going to San Simeon this year, sorry for the bad news.

BTW: I have enrolled in an all green, solar powered and non binary seminary school to become a minister. I love the last few posts........interesting times for sure.
Jul 21, 2020, 09:45 PM
Copy, thanks Dave
Jul 30, 2020, 01:24 PM
ANY F3 F flying going on in SoCal? Grass mountain is pretty isolated--- perhaps up there with the usual "mask" precautions? Or is it too hot in the summer up there?

Quick Reply