Jan 23, 2020, 05:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Line fuel stopper do I need it?

New here. Just bought OS Max46axii. About the starting. In the manual said:

1.fill the fuel tank with fuel. When fille, prevent fuel flowing into the carburetor with a commercially available fuel stopper, etc. Release the stopper before starting the engine.
2. Make sure the plug element glows red....

Question is do I need those fuel stopper? Anyone use it? Is it good practise to use/not to use it?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2020, 08:21 AM
No stopper needed just be sure your fuel tank center line is inline or below the fuel nipple on the carb. Only time you might see fuel drip into the carb would be on a hot sunny day fuel expands as it warms up. Don't fill the tank till you are ready to go fly and keep your fuel container out of the sun or cover it with a white cloth towel. Yogi
Jan 23, 2020, 08:24 AM
i usually use a small hemostat to crimp the fuel line until i'm ready to prime and start. not sure it helps or not but it makes me feel better.
Jan 23, 2020, 10:47 AM
A lot would depend on your fuel system installation. Most often my 2-strokes were a 2-line system, where there were only the vent/pressure line and one to the carb. That latter was simply unplugged from the carb to fill the tank, then plugged back in.

With cowled engines where that line was inaccessible I added a third fuel/empty line with a plastic tube formed to go to the lower aft left corner of the tank. That way it would not interfere with the clunk. In fact, all my installations use 1/8" plastic tubing as it is much easier to form to shape and remain flexible enough for removal or service.

If you are running a two-line setup as I described, simply pull off the carb line and fill. If using a T-fitting in that line, if you close the throttle you should see minimal or no flow to the carb while filling, nor while waiting to start.

Crack the throttle slightly to start and you should be fine.

One way to promote fuel to the carb before firing it up is to use your finger to plug the exhaust outlet and flip the prop a few times till you see fuel in the line reach the carb. Do this with glow heat removed.
Jan 28, 2020, 03:48 AM
Thread OP
Thank for answer seem like it not the necessary to use. Only close throttle is seem ok

Quick Reply