This thread is privately moderated by nhblacksmith, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 22, 2020, 06:10 PM
Trader Rating: 47
Thread OP
For Sale

Help identifying plane please

I purchased this in a lot with a 1/4 scale Lanier Lazer 200 from the widow of an RC Pilot. The only writing on the box suggested it came from Canada but no instructions, manufacturer, or anything else. Does anyone recognize it?

Thanks for any help.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2020, 06:24 PM
Trader Rating: 161
Build a scale plane already!!!
Yeap,, Midwest Extra 300s, I built four of them
Jan 22, 2020, 07:40 PM
Trader Rating: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Yeap,, Midwest Extra 300s, I built four of them
No way is this a Midwest 300. Sorry.

The cowling configuration on the above plane is way different, the canopy on the above plane has what looks to be a lip, the tail/stab looks to be different(even from the "flat-stab" MW version), the underside of the engine box is definitely different... The wing on the above plane is obviously 2 piece(probably joined with a tube)...

I honestly don' t know what it is, but I believe I know what it's not. It's all good though.

How about some pics of the radio compartment, and close ups' of the tail configuration... Hit us with a wingspan and length too... that will tell quite a bit about it.

The MW 300 has a span of 80"(one piece wing), and is about 74" long for comparison.
Jan 22, 2020, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
I've been trying to ID it for a while. It does look close to a Midwest but did they make those in both a kit and an ARF? This is definitely an ARF and came in a plain cardboard box that was obviously made for it and had all the spacers between the various parts. As I said, the only writing on the box was that it was from Canada. The covering scheme is different than any I could find on the web.

Thanks for the responses.
Jan 22, 2020, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I just did a quick look,, should have zoomed in,,

Probably a CMP, Nitro Model or Rich Models, (General Hobby), they all shipped in plain unmarked boxes
Jan 22, 2020, 08:14 PM
Midwest was a kit, from the early 90's. It went out of production probably around the year 2000.. Never an ARF though. I'm sure this isn't a MW.

What's the wingspan of this plane you have?

If it's from Canada, there's a chance we might have never seen it here in the U.S. For some reason I'm thinking NitroPlanes, but that's a serious stretch... and strictly a guess.
Jan 22, 2020, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Yeah, I just did a quick look,, should have zoomed in,,

Probably a CMP, Nitro Model or Rich Models, (General Hobby), they all shipped in plain unmarked boxes
I agree, much more likely to be any of those. Good call.
Jan 23, 2020, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
Unfortunately, I can't get the WS or other measurements at the moment, actually not until spring since the kit is stored for the winter. I took these pictures a while back.

Thanks to all who have responded and for making me feel better because I couldn't identify it :-) Maybe one day the mystery will be solved but I plan to put it up for sale in the Spring so it will be someone else's dilemna. I pretty much only fly kits I build or older restored planes.
Jan 23, 2020, 12:10 PM
I'll add it's odd the cowl isn't painted to match like just about every ARF typically is,, that makes me wonder if the was maybe an ARC model
Jan 23, 2020, 01:04 PM
Trader Rating: 14

what about this plane?

I have the same issue, I have this plane with no instructions and no name on the box. A club member gave it to me. Any help on what and who made it?
Jan 23, 2020, 01:37 PM
Start a thread... that's your best chance. At this point your plane is buried in this thread.

Please please please measure it though. Wingspan and length(approximate including tail and spinner). I don't know how many times people want an ID and don't measure these planes. Sometimes there's something in a pic to reference size, but most times there's just no way to tell if it's a 50" wing or 80" wing, etc...

Also, take good pics. Not 3 or 4 pics of the same or similar view. Make sure the pics show up as large as you can. Your pics are tiny, and very hard to make out. An easy ID needs good clear large pics. When you do that, you usually get a very fast correct ID. If the plane you have is an ARF, you stand a better chance just based on the scheme, but if it's kit built good, large, clear, multiple pics inside and out are the key.

Good luck with your ID.

Quick Reply