DJI Alternatives 2020 - Skydio II, Autel, FIMI and More!

To the general public, DJI is the last word in drones but there are some very interesting new options out there for a pilot looking for something different.

Splash

DJI Alternatives

For non-RC hobbyists, there is only one name when it comes to shopping for an aerial-based video or camera system and that is DJI. From the Mini to units that are $8,000 and beyond, DJI has just about everything for every application...almost.

The drones I'm going to go over in this article have been discussed on RCGroups but my goal was to gather my top contenders into one thread with links and more information for anyone that hasn't considered venturing out from the DJI brand. The great news is there is a good deal of info on the RCGroups forum about any of these drones if one of them piques your interest!

If you are looking for an alternative to DJI you now have some very interesting choices. Some of these units are cheaper, US based, and have some very intelligent tech. So before you lay down your money take a look at the list below and see if there is something that fits your needs exactly (and maybe for less money).

Skydio 2 - $999

Skydio is a company I have been researching. They are based out of the US and have come a long way in the design and onboard avoidance system. They believe that the idea that a drone will crash should be an idea of the past. Their most current drone has 45 megapixels of visual sensing. That means the Skydio 2 can see everything in every direction! It actually creates a 3-dimensional map that it navigates through in real-time. The Mavic 2 only has 4.9 estimated megapixels.

There are many other aspects of this intelligent drone like:

• The Skydio beacon is a handheld device that allows you to literally point where you want the drone to go.
  • It can be controlled via a controller ($149) or with and IOS or Android device.
  • It can track a subject through things like trees.
  • It can fly autonomously while you direct it the shots.

Specs

• Camera - 4k60 HDR
  • Top Speed - 36 MPH
  • Battery Life - 23 Minutes
  • Gimbal - 3 Axis
  • Range - 2.17 Miles
  • Weight - 775g

Join the conversation and learn more here.

Evo II Series Drones - $1,495

The Evo II which is the first portable 8K drone and includes HDR video. It has omnidirectional obstacle avoidance that keeps the drone safe while you direct the shots. One interesting feature of the Evo II is the built-in screen on the transmitter. That means if you need to get a quick video you already have everything you need in this package.

Specs

• Camera - 8k - 8000x6000 Resolution
  • Top Speed - 44.7 MPH
  • Battery Life - 40 Minutes
  • Gimbal - 3 Axis
  • Range - 5.59 Miles
  • Weight - 1,127g

Join the conversation and learn more here.

FIMI X8-SE Folding Quadcopter $529

The FIMI X8-SE is one of the most affordable options available. The specs on this are pretty close to everything listed above. Feature-wise this unit is in line with the Mavic 2 but so much cheaper in price. The range on this unit is good but will fragment from time to time when you get 1 or 2 km away. Obstacle avoidance is limited on this unit and that is probably where the savings are coming from. Thee Fimi x8 does come with one optical flow stabilization camera underneath that allows it to fly steady when closer to the ground ( up to 10m height). It also has a sonar for height stabilization. This sends a signal to the ground and bounces it back. This allows it to be flown indoors. I would think of this as more of a competitor to the Mavic Air.

Specs

• Camera - 4k
  • Top Speed - 31 MPH
  • Battery Life - 33 Minutes
  • Gimbal - 3 Axis
  • Range - 3.1 Miles
  • Weight - 790g