Jan 24, 2020, 11:08 AM
I'm really liking the look of this single seat version. Not sure if I could find the right three blade prop though.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2020, 06:37 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Thread OP
Dressed mine up a little with a MAS prop and some paint. 16 inch vs the stock 17 APC, but MAS props always pull harder due in large part to their wider blade profile.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Feb 02, 2020, 03:10 PM
It's all about scale models!
Quote:
Sure is a sharp airplane. Banggood price is too high though.

I bought mine HERE Incredible deal. Free shipping and I received it in about 3 weeks.
Since it's no longer available at Aliexpress.com, I have to ask -- what WAS the incredible deal price?

I don't think the Banggood price of $229 (with free shipping) is outrageous for a model of this size. There are a lot of opportunities, not only for repainting, but conversions to one of several raceplane versions.
Feb 02, 2020, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Anyone know how to figure out what scale this bird is. Maybe if I order graphics from Callie that will commit me to buying one.I am thinking 1/8th scale maybe?
Callie generally works from the wingspan of the model, not the scale.
Feb 02, 2020, 11:24 PM
Well, Banggood strikes again -- it says eligible for free shipping in my shopping cart. Go to checkout and they add $239.00 for shipping. Umm, no.
Feb 02, 2020, 11:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoothie
Callie generally works from the wingspan of the model, not the scale.
This is false.

If the model manufacturer did their due diligence in design, you should be able to take any measurement on the model, and plug it into the formula and get the scale. Compromises are made in models for performance, but that should be it. So, Callie, and everyone else, DOES work from the scale. I own a vinyl cutting machine. Knowing the span of the model will do you no good if you don't use it to calculate the scale.

Wingspan:
57 inches on this Yak model vs 370 inches for a full size.

57/370 = X/100

15% Scale, or about 1/6.6 . call it 1/7th scale.

Quote:
Since it's no longer available at Aliexpress.com, I have to ask -- what WAS the incredible deal price?

I don't think the Banggood price of $229 (with free shipping) is outrageous for a model of this size. There are a lot of opportunities, not only for repainting, but conversions to one of several raceplane versions.
There never was a free shipping option at Banggood for the model. Sure it said that, but its Banggood.....

RC Castle also has the Yak, and shipping is $119. You will get the plane is about 8 business days. Makes the airplane $359. I would pay that for a spare. It is worth it TO ME, but maybe not everyone. FMS 4S warbirds retail at $299, and they are not 6S rated out of the box. This Yak 11 has a much bigger presence than the usual 1450mm FMS stuff.

I paid $268 at Ali Express for PnP, which included sales tax and free shipping to my door. I was not trying to keep the price I paid a secret, since the link I posted used to have the price listed. I am sure they sold out fast at that price since everyone else is selling these for closer to $500. I think $350 would be a reasonable price if it was sold domestically, and by a vendor that would support the product. Remember, Horizon EU was originally selling these through the Steifenbiel brand. When I got mine a couple weeks ago, it came in a Steifenbeil box, but the 80A Hobbywing Predator ESC that comes in it also says Taft on it.
I put one flight on the Yak 11 yesterday, and it flew beautifully. I am very happy with my purchase. After landing, I noticed one of the gear legs was loose, and I didn't bring an allen wrench to tighten it back up, so it did not fly again. I flew it with a 16 inch MAS prop, vs the stock 17 inch APC. MAS prop with the tips rounded and painted looked more scale and I like MAS props more than APC.

I decided that I would swap the power setup to match my 1.5m Mustang. I had a spare 460kv FMS motor , and it is a direct bolt up to the Yak 11. I pulled the prop off my Mustang and painted it, and ordered a new prop/spinner for the Mustang. Can't wait to fly the Yak again.
Feb 03, 2020, 12:22 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Cubcrazy, I have seen any number of models that vary a good bit in scale based on wingspan and scale based on fuse length.

I always work with both and keep other factors in mind like vertical tail area for tail markings and wing cord for wing markings.

I believe Mr Smoothie was saying that Callie works with wingspans to set the scale of her decals, which matches what you are saying.
Feb 03, 2020, 12:26 PM
Quote:
This is false.

If the model manufacturer did their due diligence in design, you should be able to take any measurement on the model, and plug it into the formula and get the scale. Compromises are made in models for performance, but that should be it. So, Callie, and everyone else, DOES work from the scale. I own a vinyl cutting machine. Knowing the span of the model will do you no good if you don't use it to calculate the scale.

Wingspan:
57 inches on this Yak model vs 370 inches for a full size.

57/370 = X/100

15% Scale, or about 1/6.6 . call it 1/7th scale.

Thanks for the lesson, LOL--I do know how to calculate the scale. I'm a professional graphic designer (this is my 40th year) and work with Callie quite a bit. That's how I know what I said. She generally works backwards from the full size dimensions to the model dimensions -- two reasons: you get in trouble quickly when customers don't really know the scale of the model, or the scale is something "in-between". The other is that she works in CorelDraw, which is handy, as I've used it professionally for over 25 years, so she is able to print my work directly. In CorelDraw it's more convenient to scale to one of the linear dimensions, as opposed to percentage.
Feb 03, 2020, 12:33 PM
Quote:
RC Castle also has the Yak, and shipping is $119. You will get the plane is about 8 business days. Makes the airplane $359. I would pay that for a spare. It is worth it TO ME, but maybe not everyone. FMS 4S warbirds retail at $299, and they are not 6S rated out of the box. This Yak 11 has a much bigger presence than the usual 1450mm FMS stuff.

I paid $268 at Ali Express for PnP, which included sales tax and free shipping to my door. I was not trying to keep the price I paid a secret, since the link I posted used to have the price listed. I am sure they sold out fast at that price since everyone else is selling these for closer to $500. I think $350 would be a reasonable price if it was sold domestically, and by a vendor that would support the product. Remember, Horizon EU was originally selling these through the Steifenbiel brand. When I got mine a couple weeks ago, it came in a Steifenbeil box, but the 80A Hobbywing Predator ESC that comes in it also says Taft on it.
I saw the Yak on RC Castle as well -- I totally agree with you that the all-in price is very reasonable for what you get. To prove your point, the FMS 1500mm P-47 is $360 with free shipping. That said, you DID get a very nice deal from AliExpress -- the kind that makes one pull the trigger immediately. I've actually purchased quite a few spares (mostly FMS) from AliExpress and had very good experiences thus far.
Feb 03, 2020, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I saw the Yak on RC Castle as well -- I totally agree with you that the all-in price is very reasonable for what you get. To prove your point, the FMS 1500mm P-47 is $360 with free shipping. That said, you DID get a very nice deal from AliExpress -- the kind that makes one pull the trigger immediately. I've actually purchased quite a few spares (mostly FMS) from AliExpress and had very good experiences thus far.
I have made 6 purchases from Ali, and each has gone off without a hitch. The price on this Yak 11 was so low, that I was a bit nervous as to how valid it was. I saw the model on Ali before Essential RC put out his video for Banggood. I then went looking for more info, and that is when I saw that Horizon EU at least made a promo video back in 2017. Hopefully RC Castle has them for a while, because while I would like to have a spare, I have no place to put anything. My garage is way over full, and my house is filled with planes beyond the point that my wife is comfortable with. I actually told her today that I am going to look into buying an enclosed trailer to park next to the garage for storage.

-CC
Feb 03, 2020, 01:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Cubcrazy, I have seen any number of models that vary a good bit in scale based on wingspan and scale based on fuse length.

I always work with both and keep other factors in mind like vertical tail area for tail markings and wing cord for wing markings.

I believe Mr Smoothie was saying that Callie works with wingspans to set the scale of her decals, which matches what you are saying.
I think you are right, and I should not have been typing before I had any caffeine. I work night shift, but on my days off, I tend to sleep into the evening or later.

No malice intended MrSmoothie.

Cheers
Feb 03, 2020, 02:53 PM
None taken! Sounds like we have identical “too many planes” problem. My business looks like a hobby shop, not a graphic design studio.
Feb 14, 2020, 06:34 PM
Ali Express has them in stock again, with free shipping. Just ordered mine. Including the $8 fee to use PayPal, it came to $230.71.

I suppose the Coronavirus outbreak could affect shipping -- hard to tell things like this.

I'd already started doing some research for possible repaints or rebuilds (into one of the racers)...
Feb 14, 2020, 07:25 PM
Just ordered one from Ali Express. Not in a hurry but we'll see how long it takes.
Feb 15, 2020, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Just ordered one from Ali Express. Not in a hurry but we'll see how long it takes.
I'm with you on that -- I ordered on the assumption that, given all that is going on, it will take "longer". I have other projects in the queue. But I had to take advantage of this price while available. As I said before, I agree with CubCrazy that a model of this type and size could be justifiably priced significantly higher. I've ordered many spare parts from AliExpress and found them to be reliable and with good tracking -- but this is the first "entire airplane" I've ordered from them.

By the way, it did occur to me -- is there any risk of Coronavirus on the package or model itself? I did some research, and found a study showing it can survive as long as 9 days on a smooth surface. Surely the package will take longer than that to arrive.

Quick Reply