Jan 21, 2020, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mini Q!

The Mini Q is a molded wing made by TJI RC. It's available at Alofthobbies for about $150. It's a one piece wing and fuse with a span of 800 mm. I got one for xmas, and finally got to maiden on Saturday. It's a ton of fun and flies like a much bigger plane. It's similar to an Alula, but much faster.

The build is very fast. Two thin servos, a receiver and a battery. The kit comes with pushrods, clevises and fiberglass control horns. You have to cut a slot in the aileron to glue them in. The fuse weighs about 220g. I went as light as possible and used a 4 cell AAA nimh all the way forward with about 30 g of lead right in the nose. There are no instructions, but in a thread on the Aloft site forum people were suggesting a cg around 20mm back from the leading edge. This seems way forward on the wing, but flying wings do have their cg's much further forward than planes with tails. Anyway, 20 mm worked just fine for me. The wing also needs about 2-3 mm of reflex to fly. Aileron throw can be high, but elevator throw should be low.

My friends Gerard and Greg also got Mini Q's and all flew fine. Greg used a 5 cell 2/3AA, so his was about 2 oz. heavier than mine, but there didn't seems to be any difference in performance. Here are some pictures taken by Gerard at the SLoT in Benecia, CA. Mine is the yellow one with graphics on the right top of the wing. Greg's is red, and Gerard's has the MINI Q graphic on the bottom.

The planes have no bad habits and are very fast. They would be a fun one-design MOM race plane
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2020, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Here are a couple of closeups. The build quality is generally high. The wing is perfectly balanced left to right. The canopy is huge, much bigger than necessary. It would be better if the canopy started forward of the plywood brace for more strength in the fuse. My canopy is a bit flat and doesnt fit snugly. Greg and Gerards are better. Doesnt seem to affect it in flight though.
Jan 21, 2020, 06:04 PM
Sand the plywood center bulkhead--it looks like your hanging up on it. These look very nice and clean!
Jan 22, 2020, 11:36 AM
Another plug for Aloft and the miniQ. That thing is great. Fast, nimble and inexpensive.

My sons is at 396 grams with a CG of about 23 mm. Up reflex about 2mm.

Coyote Hills - January 1, 2020 - miniQ maiden (1 min 48 sec)
Jan 22, 2020, 01:22 PM
The canopy comes in "too large" configuration. Patient sanding of the edges is needed before it fits all around. Same for the fin, the it just holds without any adhesive and just pops off if it lands too hot, without causing damage on either side.
Jan 22, 2020, 01:31 PM
I have converted to 2/3A battery, which fits just fine without need to jam it as far forward as physically possible to reach 20mm CG, and should allow optimized CG adjustment for personal taste hot, hotter, hot as hell?
Jan 22, 2020, 01:57 PM

Mini-Q

Final setup with 5cell 2/3A pack at 20mm CG. Room for forward 10mm and back way too far battery position adjustments.
The filled in spot top front is where you don't want to put a switch jack if you use one. Hard nose landing would hit the switch and disassemble it. Don't do that!
Jan 22, 2020, 01:59 PM
Look forward to hearing more flight reports of this little ripper. Seems like a great deal!
Jan 22, 2020, 02:08 PM
DS Junkie
Bruce has flown his to 198 mph. He seems to like it...
Jan 22, 2020, 04:41 PM
There is quite a bit of flight reporting of these little guys over here, in SF So Bay thread.

Fast, agile and inexpensive this little guy has filled a void that was left by the inability to get another Fast Little bird (aka Gizmo).

I few mods have already been discussed/proposed and a Group Buy would go along way to get these guys into a fever pitch or even a feeding frenzy
Jan 23, 2020, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
Bruce has flown his to 198 mph. He seems to like it...
I've read criticism that the wing was not designed with built-in reflex. I wonder if this could be an advantage to people who go fast. I would imagine that at 200 mph you wouldn't need the 2 mm of up most are using.

Nice video gp49!
Jan 23, 2020, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancoffin
I've read criticism that the wing was not designed with built-in reflex. I wonder if this could be an advantage to people who go fast. I would imagine that at 200 mph you wouldn't need the 2 mm of up most are using.

Nice video gp49!
I heard that Bruce has the 'reflex' programmed on his stick so he can adjust during flight. I have not tried it yet. For now Alex (my son) is using the trim button
Jan 23, 2020, 01:14 PM
DS Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancoffin

Nice video gp49!
As posted, he does use a throttle stick mix to elevator. However, even at 198 the wing is still carrying up trim.
Jan 23, 2020, 04:13 PM
I have the reflex on a slider. The range is all in reflex position, and the effective changes are almost invisible. Ultimately what will work is just going to be numbers in the Rx. settings. I have noticed the same with the Alula. Also, Andy and I made unsuccessful attempts at gentle launch and glide at the Marina, but were only able to fly by committing to a real launch at the Slot. Greg, who flies many "planks" went straight to the big slope launch and was successful from the start.
Jan 24, 2020, 04:47 PM
Auzzie built planks
Cool little beast , reminds me of the retox... although this is better due to the one piece design sure going to be a lot f people having fun with these.
Nice work

Cheers

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours

Quick Reply