Jan 21, 2020, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Kellet KD-1 (YG-1B) at Yanks Airmuseum

I recently had the chance to visite the Yanks Air Museum in Chino California where they display an original Kellet KD-1 autogyro. I took some foto and videos I plan to share in this thread. Maybe there are also some experts out there, as I also have some questions, especially regarding the control implemented in this model.
To me it looks like the control is via cyclic pitch control and potentially even collective pitch or jumps start might have been implemented. I could not find any mentioning of these feartures however.

Link to the museum : https://yanksair.org/collection/kellet-kd-1-yg-1b/
Link to a video I took:
Kellet KD1 YG-1B (2 min 45 sec)

I kept the video in 360 mode so any body can look at what he is intersted in.
Last edited by wernersen; Jan 22, 2020 at 02:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2020, 06:22 PM
Looks like an interesting place to be....great video.
Chris...
Jan 22, 2020, 09:05 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernersen
To me it looks like the control is via cyclic pitch control and potentially even collective pitch or jumps start might have been implemented. I could not find any mentioning of these feartures however.
To be precise, all gyrocopter/autogiro's use cyclic pitch, it's just a matter of what type, tilting spindle, swashplate or in this case a tilting spider assembly.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 22, 2020, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
You are right. What I ment was a cylic pitch control relativ to the rotational axis. This leaves swashplat and spider.
At first it look to me like a tilting spider, however, if you look closely, the vertical rods conecting the spider to the blade extend on to somthing like a swashplate below the blades. So, does the spider move the swashplate or the swashplate move the spider?
Is there any writen report on the control system of the kellet KD-1 available?

I will load more videos and pictures up soon to show a few more details possibly.
Jan 22, 2020, 02:48 PM
Thread OP
updated the first video with slightly better quality
Jan 22, 2020, 03:21 PM
Werner great video and photos

I am in the middle of converting a 3D printed Stearman to look like the Kellet.
Joe
Jan 22, 2020, 04:03 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
You are right. What I ment was a cylic pitch control relativ to the rotational axis. This leaves swashplat and spider.
At first it look to me like a tilting spider, however, if you look closely, the vertical rods conecting the spider to the blade extend on to somthing like a swashplate below the blades. So, does the spider move the swashplate or the swashplate move the spider?
Is there any writen report on the control system of the kellet KD-1 available?

I will load more videos and pictures up soon to show a few more details possibly.
I would love to see some detailed still photos.
The spider might be an antirotation link, or possibly the collective mechanism that pulls the blades and swashplate up or down together.
If the lower end of the swashplate control rod pivots can float up and down then the spider could be the collective control.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 22, 2020, 09:13 PM
Werner...Great picture ..thanks for posting..
Chris...
Jan 23, 2020, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Some very good information on this topic can be found in the book AUTOGYROS, HELICOPTERS AND OTHER V/STOL AIRCRAFT: VOLUME I by Franklin D.Harris, you can download it here: https://rotorcraft.arc.nasa.gov/index.html
Jan 24, 2020, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
@ RC Gyro: thank you very much for link to the book, it contains plenty of info and will take me some time to read even asuming not to understand even half of it. great info!!! will have to dig into it to find if it helpd understanding the hub and controls of this Kellet.
@ mnowell129: sorry, no detailed still photos could not get up to the rotor hub with the camera or the samrtphone as it was. I might try to extract some stills from the video though.
@ Joe: great project, I love your creative work. So many nice projects and so little time to do them

some more videos. Probably not much more to see, so only for the real autogyro nerds out there:

Kellet KD-1 Yanks Air Musuem No.4 (1 min 38 sec)

Kellet KD-1 Yanks Air Musuem No. 3 (0 min 54 sec)

Kellet KD-1 Yanks Air Musuem No.4 (1 min 38 sec)
Jan 28, 2020, 08:21 AM
Old film.

Kellett KD-1 (CAS-AC-331) (1 min 39 sec)
Feb 02, 2020, 04:45 AM
Thread OP
Joe, thanks for the film very intersting. On the info in the museum was writen seven machines were sold to the army. Four can be seen in this film.
It seem to me these four were not having a spider on top of the rotor hub, so ther seem to have been different variants with respect to control.

Quick Reply