Jan 21, 2020, 09:43 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Question

I now have a GWS F-15 jet . Which type of tail control surfaces to use ?

The instructions give 2 options...........All flying surface elevator. Or ailerons & elevator surfaces. The plane is very light with only all the white foam parts to be used. Pusher prop with a normal 2200 motor & 2 small A123 ....1100 mahr cells. RTF is about 9 to 10.5 oz. 2 or 3 cells.
Wing area is 3.7 S F.

If I use flying surfaces . Do I just connect them as ailerons with much smaller deflections because of the large surface areas ? Does being close to the body drastically reduce turning radius ? How about up & down control by the full stabilizer surfaces........... Never seen any plane fly with a full Flying Surface. I can make the servo to surfaces super strong with a support sleeve. What percent of the airfoil length should I use to prevent high speed air force straining the servo & locking the surface unexpectedly ? If anyone has flown the F-15 with this setup ? Thoughts ?

Thank you
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2020, 11:34 AM
Pro Hoarder
I think you are referring to tailerons. Meaning no controls on the wing. The elevators also act as roll control. They fly well just different. You want a lot of movement/deflection available. Have the pivot at 30% mac . This works on symmetrical airfoils for stabs
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 21, 2020, 11:56 AM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
I read a build article on that plane a couple days ago, I think it's all covered in the manual.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ed%21%21%21%21
Jan 21, 2020, 12:05 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

I am in luck that GWS builds such great planes !!

Thank you so much turbonut. You must have picked the tail surface for GWS. I fitted it right and upside down on both sides. A perfect fit. It is a Symmetrical Airfoil. WAAHHOOO

I assume ?? A cartwheeling crash could bend or snap that movable surface. So I have to make easy access to the pivot rod & bushing. They supply Carbon Fibre tube & rod for connection & rotation. I will test both pieces by snapping a piece off of each to see if it is a clean break. Hope so. I have Balsa block scraps to contour to the inside of the engine housing to spread out the crash loads. That way the small rotating rod will snap outside of the housing.

Thank you So very much.

Rich

Today a jet fighter. Tomorrow a Atlas rocket.
Last edited by cyclops2; Jul 16, 2020 at 11:34 AM.
Jan 21, 2020, 02:13 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Minor problem with Carbon Fibre .... .015 " over sized shafts. Rubber gloves & a cordless drill out side with sandpaper.
Jan 21, 2020, 03:06 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Question

I noticed the shaft has 2 not right problems ? The shaft is not on the center line of the air foil. It is also set at about 38 % of the wing area point . I can easily go center line & 30 % point. Is it worth while with the larger deflections ?
Jan 21, 2020, 04:56 PM
Pro Hoarder
Use them as they are it will be fine. due to the control surface being swept back the MAC is not in the physical center of the part. It angles back with the sweep
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 21, 2020, 05:20 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Done Thanks.
Jan 22, 2020, 03:49 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

I know I am a dinosaur .

Had to make a DUBRO shaft clamp. Caveman design.

But it is super strong at $ .02. DIY is great. Almost like Balsa ??
Jan 23, 2020, 09:41 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Getting there.

Final cuts of the Brass tube & C F rod . Both C F rods will be supported by the small brass center tube for higher air speed loads. Enjoying the modifications . The instruction s were not clear enough for me.
Last edited by cyclops2; Jul 16, 2020 at 11:33 AM.
Jan 23, 2020, 11:15 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Final elevator assembly

Tomorrow the RTV will be hard enough to install the clamps & servos.
Jan 23, 2020, 11:19 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Question about prop pushing OR A super safe prop in nose ?

A lot of fliers balked at hand tossing my 80" A-10 as a big propped pusher.
Feb 02, 2020, 08:58 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Changes

The C F rod has a easy + & - 30 degrees of rotation with no servo movement. Sure fire sloppy flying & flutter. SOO I replaced the C F with a thin walled Brass tubing. 0 slop with same twisting test the C F failed at. The CF was GWS & hobby stores. I trashed all the C F after they all twist too much for controls in a taileron plane. No more itching either. A 1/ 10 of a ounce is not worth the problems of C F.

The RTF weight is now 1 lb. 5 oz. I had to add 2 more A123 1100 mahr cells to reach a little more forward COG if needed. Not bad deal. As the motor will run 2 days with 12vdc instead of the 6 volts & higher amperage. The plane may still be a floater. I measured the wing areas. It is a total of 2 S F. WOT should have the pilot changing his underwear. Motor is rated at 234 watts continuous.

A final sanding & filling of molding places & excessive huge panel lines. I should have battery capacity & power to allow the use of a APC E 7" prop in the stock space

The plane has been a wake up for my old modeling brain. Loved the challenges of a complete powering up a bare foam plane.
Feb 04, 2020, 02:32 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

It is now a light weight tractor puller.

I caved in to the " Please do not cut my finger on launching. " people. Full charge of 2 A123 cells at 3.2 volts It lifts straight up at about 2' per second. 6 amps at WOT in the vertical.

Good enough. Prop disappears when running Need to spray all the black & grey nose stuff with white paint.

36 watts on the wattmeter in WOT vertical. I like it on the 1100 mahr cells. 1 pound 2 oz. RTF on the 2 S F of W A.

Quick Reply