Jan 21, 2020, 01:05 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Clarifications re. Powering 4-Channel Receiver

Hello!

I just finished the build of an Armsoar Go Mini that I bought two years ago. I'm on the final phase, in which I want to connect my battery to my receiver (FrSky X4R) and my servos all at once to set up throws, check for mechanical interference, etc... which leads me to my question. How does one power a 4-channel receiver when one wants to use all four channels for the servos? The Armsoar website mentions that I should make a "pigtail," but I don't know what this means.

Not intending to ask a question that's surely been answered a million times, I did some research, and the most useful thing I found was the attached wiring diagram.

Sanity check -- before I do irreversible things, is this diagram accurate?

Question -- I'm supposed to "make this diagram happen" through stripping wires and soldering stuff together, right?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2020, 01:36 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
You can use any Y-lead. But since you don't have much room, you probably want to create something yourself.

All power and ground leads of all servos are connected to each other. The yellow or brown are separate per servo and are the control signal cable.

So you need to connect the black and red from any servo connector or receiver pin to the red and black cable of your bec or battery, using a connector of choice.

I switched to 6 channel receivers to limit risk of failure on my soldering.
Jan 21, 2020, 02:06 AM
Keep the servo leads separate, not combined as you have in the schematic. Carefully strip insulation from the red and black lead on any servo and solder in an appropriate battery connector.

If you use a 1-cell lipo receiver pack you can probably ditch the regulator, too

Good luck!

Edit: your schematic would work, just require a bit more effort, probably
Jan 21, 2020, 08:32 AM
Wayne Wimbish
The wires of any servo that will fit in a Go Mini are too fine to try and strip and solder to. Just get a Y connector and plug both the servo and the battery into one of the rx channels. Doesn't matter which one as the power connectors are ganged together in the rx.

Also, all of the commanly used servos for the Go Mini will work on a 1s lipo as will the FrSky rx. Just use a 1s lipo and forget the BEC. You don't have room for it anyway.

One other solution would be to use the FrSky G-RX6 receiver which is slightly smaller and has a built in vario. That way you can just plug the battery into an unused channel.
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-g-rx6.html

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jan 21, 2020, 08:39 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Or the RX6R, being about the same size as the RX4R but with 6 connections.
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx6r.html
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 21, 2020, 09:59 AM
plays with toy planes
Not willing to lose an airplane to one of my crummy solder joints, I avoid them by using the RX6R and crimping the little jumper.
Jan 21, 2020, 01:38 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Or the RX6R, being about the same size as the RX4R but with 6 connections.
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx6r.html
+1 on the RX6R
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jan 22, 2020, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Thank you all so much for the feedback. RX6R ordered -- and I will definitely contemplate the G-RX6 for my first 1.5-m build (hopefully later this spring). I had imagined that the X4R was the only thing small enough to fit in a DLG -- thanks for correcting me.

Quick Reply