Jan 20, 2020, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Building a custom wing for a Canard Rotor Wing (School project)

Hi all,

As part of my school project, I am building a Canard Rotor Wing aircraft. The aircraft has a rotor like a helicopter that consists of an elliptical-shaped airfoil. The rotor turns by using a tip jet concept; thrust is provided by an EDF that runs up through the center shaft and to the tips of the rotor blade to push them.

I intend to build it like an airplane wing, with ribs and spars. But I am unsure what the surface of the rotor should be made from. Should I use heat shrink plastic wrap or is it better to make a carbon fiber or glass fiber shell for it? Or perhaps there's another method?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2020, 09:04 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
You'll probably get a lot of crickets on this one. So if I understand you correctly, you're looking to create hollow rotor blades that allow the exhaust from an EDF to pass through it to the tips?

If so, there's a lot going on here. You'll have the normal bending and torsional stresses that a helicopter blade would see, but then you have the added complexity of a hollow structure and the forces that are imparted by the tip jets.

We might need some drawings to help...
Jan 22, 2020, 03:22 PM
Your going to use a ducted fan to blow air through the rotors like a tip jet? What sort of school are you in with this project?

Do you have any details for your design so we have a little something to work with?
Jan 22, 2020, 07:18 PM
A canard and a powered rotor is a strange combination.
Jan 23, 2020, 06:24 PM
Everything is broken
Can an EDF produce enough pressure to drive a tip-jet rotor?
Jan 23, 2020, 07:49 PM
Id really like to see it!
Jan 23, 2020, 11:48 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Yeah, no. That'll never work. The main shaft will have to be huge to pass enough air. If you want a powered rotor, it would be much better to put a small EDF at the end of each blade and use a couple of slip-rings to get power to the rotor (you'll need two at least, and I suspect more to carry the current the EDFs will require).

This type of aircraft is called a "Tip Jet". There have been quite a few sort-of successful attempts over the years. The so-called "cold tip" versions (which is what you're describing) compress the air a *lot* in order to get enough flow at the tip of the rotor. So much so that the air could gets as hot as engine exhaust from being compressed so much.

I was always fond of the Fairey RotoDyne which burned fuel and compressed air in a nozzle at the rotor tips.

An EDF isn't going to be able to develop enough pressure to get the job done.

Quick Reply