This thread is privately moderated by daverdwr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 20, 2020, 08:11 AM
Thread OP
Contest

Soar Utah 2020: September 3rd through September 7th

Soar Utah 2020 will begin Thursday, September 3rd and run through Monday, September 7th. We will be doing a Soar Utah “Light” again this year due to increased costs and reduced numbers of club members. We will not be making T-shirts and there will not be a formal dinner on Saturday. There is no pre-registration this year, please bring $40 in cash and we will issue Lanyards to folks at the site(s).

Thursday Afternoon September 3rd - We will begin flying at the Grantsville Salt Flats (also know on Google maps as Mistyway RC Model Airfield). This is our Aerotow site. Club members will be camping and cooking on the Flats. There will be food for the folks who wish to come that evening as well as a casual campfire. If you plan on joining us on the Salt Flats either Thursday or Friday, please let us know so we can have plenty of food.

Friday, September 4th - We will host an Aerotow at the Grantsville Salt Flats starting at 9:30 am and going to 5:00 pm. Friday morning, before the Aerotow gets started, we will serve Breakfast and there will be food available for Lunch. All the food at Grantsville will be free of charge, donations will be welcome. The Point of the Mountain site will also be available for slope flying and members of the club will be on site. On Friday, we will be sharing the site with hang gliders and paragliders. Please fly from the RC part of the slope on the west side. Also, please remember, paragliders and hang gliders have the right of way.

Saturday, September 5th - All Day Fun Fly at the Point of the Mountain, sunrise to sunset. We are planning on having exclusive use of the Flight parks on both the North and South sides. There will be water and light snacks provided by IMSF.

Sunday, September 6th - Day 2 of the all day fun fly at the Point. Again, we are planning on having exclusive use of the Flight parks on both the North and South sides. There will be Water and light snacks provided by IMSF.

Monday, September 7th - We will be traveling to Francis Peak, a 9560’ high alpine soaring site with incredible views of the Great Salt Lake Valley (Google map coordinates 41.020177, -111.834770). There will be water and light snacks provided by IMSF.

Maps Thru Google Maps/Earth

Point south: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.4...8971!3e0?hl=en

Point north: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.4...3753!3e0?hl=en

Grantsville: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.4...!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Francis Peak: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.7...!4m1!3e0?hl=en

If you plan on attending, please post on this thread or PM me so I can start a list of attendees.

If anyone needs more information please feel free to PM me. We are looking forward to seeing everyone!!

Dave
PS - I have attached some basic maps in case you prefer to not use google maps.
Last edited by daverdwr; Mar 05, 2020 at 09:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2020, 09:26 AM
Mike and Dick Blumer are planing to attend.
Jan 20, 2020, 09:38 AM
Thread OP

Attendee List

Attendees:
Jim Smith - AZ
Bob Martin - AZ
Mike Blumer - CA
Dick Blumer - CA
Bill DelHagen - CA (Aerotow)
Nick - CO
Greg Hine - CO
Jack Foltz - CO
Chris Brose - ID
Aaron Harrington - ID
Ken - ID (maybe)
Robert Blumer - MT
Dick Jones - MT
Carl Thuesen - MT
Steve Owen - MT
Eric Runestad - MT
John Poulson - MT
Scott Smith - MT
Scott Edwards - MT
Greg Edwards - MT
Clyde Knecht - MT (Aerotow)
Tom and Tammy Cornwall - OK
Ddavis72 - TX
Darth Windbag - TX
Dave Roberts - UT
Last edited by daverdwr; Jun 28, 2020 at 04:47 PM.
Jan 20, 2020, 11:20 AM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Add Chris Brose and myself (Aaron Harrington) from Twin Falls ID to the list of attendees
Jan 20, 2020, 06:48 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
I will try and plan for it.

Thanks,

Ken
Jan 20, 2020, 08:59 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Those URLs are way broken.

(Edit) appear to be fixed now, thanks.

--
Greg
Last edited by gdouglas; Jan 21, 2020 at 10:48 PM.
Jan 21, 2020, 10:24 AM
Thread OP

Updated Map Links

Greg,
Thank you for the note about the links.
I think they are fixed now to show the locations and possible routes.
Dave
Jan 21, 2020, 10:47 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdwr
Greg,
Thank you for the note about the links.
I think they are fixed now to show the locations and possible routes.
Dave
Appears to be fixed. Thanks, Dave.

--
Greg
Jan 22, 2020, 10:46 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
I will definitely be attending
Nick.
Jan 26, 2020, 01:00 PM
Money>Sense
Its unfortunate that this event seems to be declining b/c I look forward to it every other year. I plan to come, my 6th SU. I've also got a brand new Ceres there waiting for me!
Jan 26, 2020, 03:39 PM
Money>Sense
Would anyone attending this years SU be interested in my Espada? It’s not a good model to be shipping to and from the places I fly. Previous attendees may recognize this airplane. It has some slope bruises (all of which are from shipping it) I can describe in more detail if there is interest. I’d be asking $500.
Last edited by ddavis72; Jan 26, 2020 at 03:50 PM.
Jan 29, 2020, 09:35 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis72
Would anyone attending this years SU be interested in my Espada? Itís not a good model to be shipping to and from the places I fly. Previous attendees may recognize this airplane. It has some slope bruises (all of which are from shipping it) I can describe in more detail if there is interest. Iíd be asking $500.
I definitely have an interest.

Nick.
Jan 30, 2020, 09:12 PM
Had a great weekend in 2018, and I will be back for more fun this September

Bill DelHagen--Los Angeles, Ca.
Jan 30, 2020, 11:26 PM
Expert At Rapid Deconstruction
Greg Hine of Boulder plans to attend.
Feb 01, 2020, 01:09 PM

soar utah 2020

those who are attending from Billings Mt.
Robert Blumer
Dick Jones
Carl Thuesen
Steve Owen
Eric Runestad
John Poulson
Scott Smith
Scott Edwards & Son Greg
some other may come.

Quick Reply