Jan 19, 2020, 04:42 AM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
Thread OP
Discussion

old Super Cub

As part of a group of things I picked up from the family of a flyer who passed away I got this old Super Cub with what I believe combat module. It has a sensor in the top of the windshield and another on the bottom of the fuselage facing rear.

The model is in pretty good shape and completely stock.
It has the stock electronics and geared brushed motor.
Only damage I have noticed is a bad rudder control horn.
There is no transmitter.

The question is what do I do with it? Sell it? Update the electronics and fly it?

Suggesting are welcomed.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2020, 09:18 AM
They where fun in the day, but so outdated now. I have a few of these in the barn, bought 1 for the grandson that is still stock, others all got power 10 motors . Just charge a battery and have fun flying
Jan 19, 2020, 11:46 AM
Retired
Looks nice, get that baby in the air, they were great 3 channel planes. Brings back memories of my start in the hobby. I should have kept mine, it ended up not making the cut when I retired / moved.
Jan 19, 2020, 04:35 PM
Those are IR sensors for the anti- crash stabilizing system- most call it the automatic crash system. They are removed when modding.
These fly pretty well on stock system- no Tx is a problem. Here's the extensive mod. thread parts 1-4. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d-%28Part-4%29 Most use a sport 450 BL motor around 1100Kv and APC 10x5" prop, 30A ESC. This will pull about 20Amps and give 38 oz. of Thrust- enough for float flying. Cut the top from the plastic battery box and you can fit up to 2200 size lipo. 1300-1800 will be lighter. A sport 400 will fly it if kept as stock 3 CH. trainer.
Jan 19, 2020, 07:02 PM
I have 3 or 4 of these one modded as a 4 channel with ailerons cut into the wings. I have changed out all the electronics and flying it with a BL 480 which gives it some good jam and makes it fun as well. Will take off in about 4 feet. On a couple of occasions I have pulled the motor off the firewall. (Not good)I flattened out the wings as well to almost no dihedrial. It will do most aerobatics including knife edge and with floats will flat do spins. When I feel reckless I bring this out.
Jan 19, 2020, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
If I keep it I will probably strip all the electronics out of it, And convert it to brushless and 2,4 ghz,
Jan 20, 2020, 01:39 PM
Old's Cool
Tons of info available on that plane:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d-%28Part-4%29
Jan 20, 2020, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
I see that! I think I will just clean it up and post it for sale though. I have pretty much gone back to balsa, Nothing against foamies. Just like balsa better.
Someone can convert it and get a lot of flying out of it.
Jan 20, 2020, 06:58 PM
If it flies, I crash it!

Can you say Piper Pawnee?

I took the wing, landing gear and tail feathers off of my Cub and built a Piper Pawnee fuse out of FFF(Fan Fold Foam).
That was over ten years ago and I think the build thread may still be in the archives, IDK!
Just an idea.

Search this title if you want to see my build.

Piper Pawnee PA-25 Scratch build using Park Zone parts!
Last edited by dlazarus6660; Jan 21, 2020 at 06:43 PM.
Jan 20, 2020, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
That's definitely a way to repurpose an old airplane!
Jan 21, 2020, 11:05 PM

old Super Cub

So last weekend me a 2 other friends pulled out super cubs out of the attics. They are all stock except for a brushed esc, 3 wire servos and Spektrum receivers. Probably $50 in updated electronics per plane.

We all run cheap $10 Turnigy 1300 lipos.

Itís been about 8 years since any of us have flown and within minutes we were back in the air having a ball. We probably flew for 2 hours on Sunday and over 20 minutes per battery.

One cub had itís wing broken in half from one guy pushing down on the elevator instead of flairing the landing that we fixed with CA and packing tape and within minutes was back in the air.

As the sun was setting the other Cub landed in a palm tree and is still there and mine survived the day without a scratch.

You just canít kill an original Super Cub or beat the smiles per dollar. I would never suggest getting rid of them because you never know when you might need a simple cheap indestructible Cub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jan 21, 2020, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
A lot to be said for simple no fear fun.
Jan 23, 2020, 12:55 AM

memories

I flew mine on a Gust/Wind brushless speed 400 and 1000 mah 3 cell it made a super light weight flyer out of it, and had scale power ( 40 hp scale )
this brings back some great memories of my return to the hobby in 2008/2009
Jan 23, 2020, 09:15 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
This was a fun, good flying three channel plane.

Go ahead and fly it or give it to some kid. It looks very good so youíll likely sell it but donít expect to get much.
Jan 23, 2020, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
I don't have the original transmitter. So if I kept it it would need to be updated.
I really don't need any more airplanes like this.

Quick Reply