Jan 19, 2020, 03:27 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

18mm EDF F/F Indoor Subject

I have just bought a KP 18mm EDF and am looking for a suitable F/F Indoor subject for it. Two that I have had in mind are the He 162 from Mike Stuarts site (http://www.ffscale.co.uk/plans6.htm)or the Miles Student (http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2004 With the He 162 I like the idea of being able to locate the battery, ESC and timer in the fuselage but am concerned that the model may be a bit too fast to fly indoors, The Student OTH is bigger and lighter , has space for the gear and may be more suitable for indoors.
I would be very interested to hear of any other suggestions as to other suitable types, I think the best would be something that doesn't fly at a reckless speed.
Attached is a shot of the space I have available to fly in to give you some idea of my needs
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2020, 04:21 AM
jofro
Hi Kiwi Bro, the camera lenses can be very deceiving but the sports ground looks decent size for small,light models.
Haven't heard of 18mm fan, what's the thrust of it? Sounds like a great project for a very light weight twin.
Jan 19, 2020, 05:17 AM

Micro EDF planes

You could read this thread:- https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-other-1S-JETS
I know it's mainly 1S brushed motors, but the principle is the same. You want a less than 1:1 power weight ratio for realistic performance on early jets, not many of them could do unlimited vertical! And a foam profile model is quick and easy to both build and modify, you will learn all you need to know from them. A Hawker Seahawk, Lockheed Shootingstar would fit the bill, straight wing and good low speed handling, my own favourite is my Jet Provost.
Jan 19, 2020, 12:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
Hi Kiwi Bro, the camera lenses can be very deceiving but the sports ground looks decent size for small,light models.
Haven't heard of 18mm fan, what's the thrust of it? Sounds like a great project for a very light weight twin.
Specs for the fan are: Static Thrust of 22 grams at 7.5 volts
RPM 65,000
Weight 7.4 grams
Outside Diameter 20.2mm, length 35mm

Its the same size as a Jetex 50 and thats where I will be heading once I get to grips with it.
It's made by KP Aero and I got mine from SAMS Models in the UK
Jan 19, 2020, 02:46 PM
///////
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Specs for the fan are: Static Thrust of 22 grams at 7.5 volts
RPM 65,000
Weight 7.4 grams

Its the same size as a Jetex 50 and thats where I will be heading once I get to grips with it.
It's made by KP Aero and I got mine from SAMS Models in the UK
Is that 18mm fan a new product? It doesn't show on their site:
http://www.kpaero.com/Default.aspx
Jan 19, 2020, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
Its listed here in the drop down menu
http://www.samsmodels.com/products/e...ght-ducted-fan
Jan 21, 2020, 03:30 AM
jofro
[QUOTE=Kiwi;43633727]Specs for the fan are: Static Thrust of 22 grams at 7.5 volts
RPM 65,000
Weight 7.4 grams

Hi Kiwi, TX, for the data, with that sort of thrust you won't have any problem speed-wise flying it indoor, the main challenge will be to build light enough model to get it airborne!
Jan 30, 2020, 07:41 PM
I would be inclined to try an airliner. Light, hand launched,
Jan 31, 2020, 04:19 PM
jofro
Forget about airliners, with 22 grams of thrust per unit I wouldn't waste time on any RC controlled EDF project.
Jan 31, 2020, 07:19 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't waste time on any RC controlled EDF project.
That’s an interesting opinion, and everyone has their own. I guess your own edf projects that you post up don’t count? Lol

A lot of wing area, hollow fuse, flaps and 4 edfs sounds like a nice indoor flyer
Last edited by Joe 1320; Jan 31, 2020 at 09:19 PM.
Feb 01, 2020, 02:41 AM
jofro
Good luck building one, love to see it, I hope won't be too long! Today's 1st. of Feb. 2020.
Feb 01, 2020, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Forget about airliners, with 22 grams of thrust per unit I wouldn't waste time on any RC controlled EDF project.
I quite happily fly a Hawker Seahawk and a Hawker Hunter on old 25mm fans that produce about 12g thrust on a good day, 4 minute flights of scale like performance, and bloody good fun. My larger (and heavier) Jet Provost needed a newer 20g unit though. On any flying day at my indoor club you will see a dozen different EDFs flying on 1S with less (sometimes a lot less) than 22g of thrust.
Keep it light and a thrust/weight ratio of between 3/1 and 2/1 works well.
Rob
Photos for those interested, the Seahawk now has an uprated EDF, about 18g thrust flies on less than 1/2 throttle.
And Yes I know that one of the aileron horns has broken, but it was all there when it went into its box last time out, I must have mice!
Last edited by Robmoff; Feb 01, 2020 at 08:44 AM.
Feb 01, 2020, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
I have just bought a KP 18mm EDF and am looking for a suitable F/F Indoor subject for it. Two that I have had in mind are the He 162 from Mike Stuarts site (http://www.ffscale.co.uk/plans6.htm)or the Miles Student (http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2004 With the He 162 I like the idea of being able to locate the battery, ESC and timer in the fuselage but am concerned that the model may be a bit too fast to fly indoors, The Student OTH is bigger and lighter , has space for the gear and may be more suitable for indoors.
I would be very interested to hear of any other suggestions as to other suitable types, I think the best would be something that doesn't fly at a reckless speed.
Attached is a shot of the space I have available to fly in to give you some idea of my needs
I would think any early jet with a straight wing would do well? Maybe start out with a profile jet to get a feel? The way my Meteor flies makes me want more. It weighs about 19 grams with 1S 160mA, wingspan around 30cm. Full fuselage would rock! The real one allows some nice dihedral on the outer panels - perfect for stable free flight!
Feb 12, 2020, 12:15 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
162 is a dubious performer with a high wing load. I’ve made a few models of and it’s hard to trim. High thrust line, no dihedral, small wing. If it were to weigh the same as a feather would be ok. I had a 50mm edf stick and tissue 162 that flew ok but it was very fragile.
Feb 12, 2020, 05:52 PM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lw_hughes
162 is a dubious performer with a high wing load. Iíve made a few models of and itís hard to trim. High thrust line, no dihedral, small wing. If it were to weigh the same as a feather would be ok. I had a 50mm edf stick and tissue 162 that flew ok but it was very fragile.
Only if you build it "scale-like", not as a feather light profile, shown in pics above as a sample. Any profile model can be build extremely light for indoor flying.
WARNING! "To be handled like eggs!
In my indoor flying days with ultra lights, the biggest challenge was to remove them being stuck from the spider web netting up high in the hall!

Quick Reply