Feb 23, 2020, 11:45 PM

Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheli
Think added weight needed with the smaller batteries, mine cgis good with 4000 all the way forward.
Does your 4000 4s fit through the hole that goes forward towards the motor mount? My 2200 4s battery slides into that hole and the cg seems fine that way. I don't have any larger 4s batteries. Mine flies fine 2200 4s and no weight added.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 01:15 AM
No the 4000 does not fit into the smaller hole.
Feb 29, 2020, 10:16 PM
aaahhh yes, I finally got my maiden +1 in today
flew a 2200mAh and then a 3600mAh all the way forward...
was late afternoon in mild winds maybe only 4-5 but it sure seemed to be sensitive\twitchy in the wind ... seemed like on any turns I made it would nose up sharply and drag its tail around and on straight\level flight it pitched up a couple times on the slightest stick input... I have my DX9 set up with 30% expo and low rates set at 70% and that had plenty authority ...it needed coordinated turns which looked pretty good ... I need to dbl check my cg but overall it flew ok, hope to get some more flights in tomorrow...

I sent it up with my watt meter on the first flight and this is what it pulled on a WOT pass:
37.68a
549.9w

sure is a nice looking plane
Mar 01, 2020, 06:09 PM
had a good day today, no rain and winds were 5-7 so not too crazy but not dead calm... good enough to get a few flights in before it got too cold for me

I'm still getting a feel for its characteristics like stall speed and approaches for touch-n-go's ... it likes to drop the left wing I noticed but has power enough to wave off a landing approach and climb straight up until you can't see it and flying flat\level across the field WOT it scoots pretty nice, and looks good doing it after all its a not an aerobatic or high speed airframe but it goes well enough in the stock config. I flew a couple 4S 2500mAh 50C and a couple 3600mAh 50C lipos and the last flight I snapped a pic. Flew the 2500's for 5 min and the 3600's for 7 and the one flight was 8.5... all the way forward in the nose and the plane balances at 85mm so mid range of the advertised 80mm-90mm.

the one 8:25 flight was with moderate throttle a few WOT passes or climb outs but mostly cruising and lipo came down not even warm at 15.60v and 60%... more than enough for me, I am not looking for 10 min flights, heck, I'm usually ready to land and take off with another plane after 5-6 min

I think I might lay a couple coats of minwax polyacrylic on it to help preserve its looks from the inevitable hangar rash
Mar 03, 2020, 08:13 PM
I'm pretty stoked at the moment as I was able to get an AR636A rx with SAFE that came from an E-flite 1.5m Timber transplanted into the Husky today!

it's something that I've been wanting to do as I have (3) AR636A rx's that are from the E-flite 1.2m P-47 and a couple from the E-flite 1.5m Timbers.... all of which I've swapped the AR636A rx's out for telemetry rx's...

it was windier than I wanted it to be for test flights, winds were 8-10 with the gusts but the Husky was locked in with the AS3X working and SAFE... made for a couple quick pleasurable flights just before the rains showed up

20200303 151453 (3 min 20 sec)

ArrowsRC 1.8m Aviat Husky after correcting AR636 with SAFE (3 min 1 sec)
Mar 04, 2020, 11:21 PM
so far I am really liking this Husky

got lucky today and was able to sneak in a couple bats after work during the sunset, sure is nice to have this sunny weather lately and longer days so a guy has a chance to fly after work when the weather is right

the nav lights look pretty nice at sunset and so I think I'm going to add one white LED right under the spinner, there's a little square spot formed in the foam that is just begging for an LED

both flights lazy cruising, just relaxing and doing some big easy loops and some cubans, nothing much and were 9:20 & 9:30 min long with 4S 3600mAh 50C lipos that came down at 15.18v & 15.36v

today's flights were on asphalt and the tires do have a little bounce to them even on the greasiest of landings... they were fine on the gravel and grass though...

hope you guys have been able to get some stick time on yours
Last edited by Mark Huff; Mar 04, 2020 at 11:31 PM.
Mar 05, 2020, 08:19 PM
so I added a nice bright 'headlight'

so bright that if you are up close to it and glance a look at it for more than a second you'll be seeing spots for a minute or so
yeaaah, quite visible in the daylight and most definitely looks great in the low light... I just need to plan a night ops with a couple buddy's here real soon
just wish it had the strobes on the wingtips... I actually thought it did when I bought it but oh well... I have a set of LEDs for the Cessna 150 that has all the appropriate nav lights (incl the strobes) I may just swap this all out for after awhile
Mar 06, 2020, 10:11 PM
got to try out the headlight mod on a quick night ops sortie

ArrowsRC 1.8m Aviat Husky headlight mod (0 min 13 sec)

ArrowsRC 1.8m Aviat Husky on night ops (2 min 40 sec)
Mar 07, 2020, 06:58 PM
It looks great when it's coming at you, but in the video at least it looks pretty dark when it's going away. I did some before and after amp tests on mine. With the stock prop full throttle pass was 37 amps, then I put a 14x7 prop on it and did a full throttle pass and it pulled 47 amps. That's a little high but with some throttle management I think it will work. It gave me roughly 150 more watts of power. If that is used in short bursts it gives it a lot more authority. Still has plenty of prop clearance.
Sam
Mar 08, 2020, 12:22 AM
the vid is much darker than in person for sure... the nav lights in the wingtips are very visible during the flight and one doesnt fly more than a couple hundred feet away so once the eyes get adjusted its all good...

I gotta say, I was happy to see in the stock config outta the box the plane has enough power to go from slow flat\level flight to go to full power and climb straight up until its virtually outta sight, so basically unlimited vertical, not screaming and accelerating mush on the climb but it keeps going... and with your prop change you should notice a good bump in power for sure and throttle management always is a factor... post your thoughts after you flown it, I'm curious

I think I'm going to bench-test a 5S tomorrow and then take it up with a watt meter onboard to see the actual flight amps, I'll post it later tomorrow eve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitesam1955
It looks great when it's coming at you, but in the video at least it looks pretty dark when it's going away. I did some before and after amp tests on mine. With the stock prop full throttle pass was 37 amps, then I put a 14x7 prop on it and did a full throttle pass and it pulled 47 amps. That's a little high but with some throttle management I think it will work. It gave me roughly 150 more watts of power. If that is used in short bursts it gives it a lot more authority. Still has plenty of prop clearance.
Sam
Mar 08, 2020, 09:21 AM
I tried a 5s battery in mine but for some reason it would not arm with 5s. I tried reducing throttle trim all the way down and even sub trim all the way down but it never would arm. Put a 4s back in and it armed right away. Let me know if it works for you.
Sam
Mar 08, 2020, 11:56 AM
AA6JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitesam1955
I tried a 5s battery in mine but for some reason it would not arm with 5s. I tried reducing throttle trim all the way down and even sub trim all the way down but it never would arm. Put a 4s back in and it armed right away. Let me know if it works for you.
Sam
Though the resolution is barely there, I am pretty sure the photo of the ESC label shows 3-4 cells? I will try to pull mine out for a better pic ...
Mar 08, 2020, 12:29 PM
Arrows sent out this , they been testing 5 cell in it...

We have been playing around with the new Arrows RC Husky and have found it can handle a 5 cell LiPo battery providing insane performance.

In the same vein, we bench tested the Arrows RC warbirds to see how they handled 4 cell LiPo batteries, and at full throttle on the bench we were within what the ESC can handle. We draw less in the air, so go crazy! We have picked up the perfect battery for that application, and also for the Arrows RC Marlin and the Husky. The ARWSB33004S battery is equipped with an XT60 connector and is on an introductory special at only $44.95. We warranty those here, like the Arrows RC planes.

Sun's out, let's play!

Dan

Hobby Zone / Arrows RC
Mar 08, 2020, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora
Though the resolution is barely there, I am pretty sure the photo of the ESC label shows 3-4 cells? I will try to pull mine out for a better pic ...
I had seen that picture too and saw that the esc was only rated for 3 - 4 cells. Then I was talking to Dan at Hobbyzone about when and or if there would be floats available for the Husky. He said that they do plan on it but with everything going on in China he wasn't sure when. Thats when he brought up that they had been trying 5s on the Husky, he had said he would post their results. I was hoping for prop size that they were trying 5s with. If I can get mine to arm with 5s I can do some load tests with different props. My guess would be to drop back to a 12x6 prop.
Sam
Mar 08, 2020, 05:03 PM
AA6JB
Oh wow, OK.

I hope they will still honor warranty if some folks "pop" their ESCs by exceeding the specified rating.

Quick Reply